Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New Hampshire Brook
Posted By: Jewelltrail, 09-24-2008, 01:04 PM

K20 and Tamron 17-50mm f16--ISO 100--5 secs--23.75mm--Spot Metering

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 09-24-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Views: 1,674
09-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful!!
09-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would have liked the angle to be more front on. The flow is smooth and silky. I like the water stream itself
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Nice shot, where in NH was this taken? I grew up in southern NH, near Keene....

09-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
ChipB Beautiful!!
Thank you Chip!

QuoteQuote:
roentarre I would have liked the angle to be more front on. The flow is smooth and silky. I like the water stream itself
roentarre, I am not sure what you mean by "more front on." Please help me out some more--thanks. I agree the flow is very silky and enjoyable.

QuoteQuote:
bigben91682 Nice shot, where in NH was this taken? I grew up in southern NH, near Keene....
bigben--thanks --the shot was taken in Franconia notch, western White Mountain region.
09-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shot, nice to see New England photos on the forums!

JOhn
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
beautiful!

09-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
as someone who was born in NH this shot brings a nice familiar feeling - you've captured part of why I love the woods and hills there

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
Nice shot, where in NH was this taken? I grew up in southern NH, near Keene....
my parents grew up in Keene! I still have lots of relatives in that area
09-25-2008, 06:50 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have goosed up the shadow details a tiny (and I do mean TINY) amount to bring a little more detail out in the rocks in the front. The water coming over the rocks looks great.
09-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by timbo13 Quote
as someone who was born in NH this shot brings a nice familiar feeling - you've captured part of why I love the woods and hills there

my parents grew up in Keene! I still have lots of relatives in that area
cool! I'm from Walpole which is about 15 miles north of Keene. My entire family still lives there, 2 brothers (who are adults) and my parents. I was the only one to skip town for greener pastures.

I'm heading that way tomorrow evening for the weekend, looks like rain though so I probably won't be shooting much.
09-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Palmor: Nice shot, nice to see New England photos on the forums!
Thank you very much!

QuoteQuote:
todd: beautiful!
And thank you very much!

QuoteQuote:
timbo13 as someone who was born in NH this shot brings a nice familiar feeling - you've captured part of why I love the woods and hills there
Complements do not get any better than this one--thank you! BTW, for my foliage week's vacation I am heading up to Keene, but in the high ADK peaks.

QuoteQuote:
Mark Castleman I would have goosed up the shadow details a tiny (and I do mean TINY) amount to bring a little more detail out in the rocks in the front. The water coming over the rocks looks great.
Thanks Mark--I may just try this. I know the shot is on the darker side, but I really was emphasizing the water--I actually spot metered on the water, with Green button in Manual to get close, then adjusted exposure to my taste--I did nothing to alter exposure in processing to JPG, but I think I will just to see how it works.. I did shoot this in RAW.

QuoteQuote:
Bigben9182:I'm heading that way tomorrow evening for the weekend, looks like rain though so I probably won't be shooting much.
Yeah, tough break for the weather this weekend, but there will be many more.
09-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I would prefer the protrait orientation revealing less of the shadow on the left.

The camera angle is shot from above looking down which is the usualy perspective taken by tourists. The shot would appear rather interesting if the camera is lowered a lot more, showing a touch of grandiose feel.

The photograph is taken in extreme dark with some lighting coming through the leaves. This is difficult in terms of exposure for the water. The best way to deal with this is extra layers of neutral density filter along with avoiding areas of highlight within the framing of the photograph.

The composition could be altered a lot with the photographer standing in a position to the right of the waterflow. Hence creating an acute angle with the waterflow to the creek above, adding interest to the eyes.

Just my 2 cents.
09-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
roentarre: I very much appreciate you taking time to help me here--thank you. A couple of things I should mention.

My vantage point was about even with the point where the water begins to drop and I was as low to the ground as I could get with my tri-pod. Also, in front of me and to my immediate right, but not showing in the shot, is a chasm--there is not a lot of room to move around for different perspectives. Sometimes I will work in steep walls of ravines and what not, but here I could not. I think your suggestion to avoid areas of highlight within the framing is a good one.

I have absorbed all you have contributed--thank you.