Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Takumar 105mm on bellows. This is your fault Mike Cash
Posted By: Peter Zack, 11-08-2008, 02:56 PM

I picked up a Tak 105 f2.8 and a Tak 135mm here on the marketplace (thanks Jay). So I tried it today with and without the bellows. Here's the first shot out of the camera with about 130Cm extension K20D ISO200 f11, 1 second exposure with tripod and remote. This is one sweet lens and you gotta love the build/feel.

This is just another 'test' shot at f4 Nice bokeh with the lens. Excellent colour and sharpness IMO. The day was fairly dull here with dark skies and a light mist falling but it was still fun to shoot with.

So now I have a couple of Tak's and it's all Mike Cash's fault with all his great Takumar and K20D shots.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 11-08-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Views: 2,765
11-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, yeah? Well let me tell you something, Peter Zack. These are all your fault, you and those damned Flash Waves:

And I'll throw in an all-around general-purpose thorough cussing of all the folks who pointed me at the Tamron 28-75/2.8 while I'm at it. It has proved to be the perfect lens for shooting dance.

And I really don't know what I would have done without you pointing me toward the Flash Waves. Last year I shot with a single Gadget Infinity unreliable piece of junk that didn't work past about 20 feet and one optical trigger....whose flash everybody in the hall "borrowed" from me. This year I had 100% firing and could shoot from anywhere in the hall.
11-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That's right Mike! Today was your big event (I guess that was yesterday for you). looks like things worked out well Nice shots. We are copying each other's kits. I have the same Tamron (although mine has crapped out with misaligned elements and not worth repairing) and it was a great performer for 1.5 years.

Glad the FW's worked so well for you.
11-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Btw, did you take a larger setup shot of the stage and flash placments?

11-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Damn Brit

I suppose you're both going to blame someone else for how good those shots are.
11-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Forum Member

do you guys need to be back to back armed and dangerous with your camera's.... walk 20 paces, turn and fire?

nice pics from the both of you
11-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have some large shots of the stage (teacher insisted on them this year) but not of my flash setup. They're just flashes on stands/tripods off to the sides and about 20~25 feet from the stage, aimed at center stage.

I ganged two AF200T at 1/2 power on one receiver for an output of GN20 on one side and used a single National PE-3057 at 1/2 power (GN15) on my other receiver on the other side. No fancy ratios or anything. I was just going for as close as I could get to even and consistent lighting within the bounds of my limited equipment and funds. It worked out for f4 at ISO400.

I think it came out alright for a lighting setup that fits into a fanny pack. The light stand and tripod go together with ball bungee cords and I can sling them over my back.

The Flash Waves were the absolute key to any success I had in shooting this event. I needed reliability first and foremost and was willing to spend a little money to get it. Being sure the damned triggers are going to work is the single largest piece of mind you can get when doing stuff like this. I didn't need the advertised 1600 feet range of the Pocket Wizards, and can't afford them even if I did. The Flash Waves were the perfect compromise on range and price while making almost no sacrifice on reliability. I spent much of the last year looking into various makes and methods and found nothing appealing enough to go with. Your personal recommendation of them sealed the deal for me.

11-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I will.

I just stand behind the camera and go pointy-pointy clicky-clicky. My subjects get the credit if they look good.
11-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
OK Mike, Back to back. Only weapon allowed is a K20D and a Takumar 105mm. Each camera is loaded with 1 Gb card of the shooters choice. Walk 20 paces, turn and fire, one shot only. The guy with the sharpest image of the other wins.

ready...
11-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Glad to hear they worked well. I don't like promoting this sort of stuff too much but they have worked so well for me I was sure you would be happy with them. I put Duracell (medical) 23's in the transmitter right after getting them and haven't had any misfires within range. I just keep the provided battery in the bag as a spare.
11-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Funniest thread ever

This is easily the funniest thread I have ever read on any Forum on any topic.

I actually laughed out loud at the duel post.

Thanks for brightening my evening!!!

Lest I forget, amazing subjects, ye humble pointer-clickers.
11-08-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I got probably 600~700 shots on the provided dubious-looking battery and only took it out so I could start the show with a fresh one. Same for the AAAs I put in the receivers. They were showing no signs of wearing out so I'm keeping them to put back in later.

And the 2000mah Eneloops I used for the flash units were astonishing as well. I got somewhere over 400 shots with them and swapped them out at intermission, again as a precaution rather than due to signs of going dead.

Same with the K20D's battery. I swapped after 400+ shots at intermission even though I still had a "full" indicator on the camera.
11-09-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Thanks Gary, I'll assume some of that was directed my way. I kinda like the ladybug. fun to find one this late in the season,

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This is easily the funniest thread I have ever read on any Forum on any topic.

I actually laughed out loud at the duel post.

Thanks for brightening my evening!!!

Lest I forget, amazing subjects, ye humble pointer-clickers.
We do aim to please. Engaging in any conversation with Mike is bound to have some great one liners.
11-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice pics guys. Peter, I believe the Tamrons have 6 year warranty... Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I have the same Tamron (although mine has crapped out with misaligned elements and not worth repairing) and it was a great performer for 1.5 years.
11-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Nice Shots Peter
Nice Flashes Mike

I want to see the dual on You Tube. A little Good Bad and Ugly music would be a nice touch as well.