Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
DA35 Limited....a few early shots
Posted By: maxwell1295, 12-01-2008, 09:47 AM

I picked this lens up a couple of weeks ago and finally got a chance to do some shooting with it over the last couple of weeks. I'm not 100% sold on this lens yet. Don't get me wrong, it's a great lens......I'm just trying to figure out where it fits for me in the grand scheme of things. The fact that I don't shoot many macros has something to do with it. Anyway, here are some shots from the last week or so. The weather was crappy, so most of these were taken indoors..

Views: 4,048
12-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Cool shots; I don't think I'd like to have my nails shot that close though! The detail on the pen shot is amazing.

Something to be said about having a compact macro as well as a wide-ish angle lens all in the same lens body!
12-01-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Alan,

I've been really happy with my current lens lineup. You are completely not helping with my LBA! This is one of my favorite collections of shots that I've seen from this lens so far.

2, 3, 5 and 10 are standouts for me. Looks like you're having a lot of fun with this dandy of a lens!

Quick question... are all of these full frame shots? No cropping?
12-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It appears to be a sharp bugger Alan - and wow I had no idea you had such purtty nails

12-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Cool shots; I don't think I'd like to have my nails shot that close though! The detail on the pen shot is amazing.

Something to be said about having a compact macro as well as a wide-ish angle lens all in the same lens body!
Thanks. I'm still trying to find a place for this lens besides shooting macros. I have the range and speed covered with the Sigma 24-60mm. It is a good lightweight, compact walkabout aption.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Alan,

I've been really happy with my current lens lineup. You are completely not helping with my LBA! This is one of my favorite collections of shots that I've seen from this lens so far.

2, 3, 5 and 10 are standouts for me. Looks like you're having a lot of fun with this dandy of a lens!

Quick question... are all of these full frame shots? No cropping?
Thanks, Hamid. As I become more familiar with this lens, it's growing on me a little. The crops? 1, 6, and 10 are pretty heavy crops (~50%)

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
It appears to be a sharp bugger Alan - and wow I had no idea you had such purtty nails
Thanks, Dave.....should I post my toe shots too?
12-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's another that I didn't add to the first group:

For a better frame of reference...

12-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you have a nice sharp lens. I like the creamy out of focus backgrounds too.

12-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

LBA! Back.

Oh-oh. Those are great and that lens... hum? Wide and deep... Hum.:ugh:
12-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Love 2 & 3! Great job.
12-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Looking good to me Alan. By your images here, it looks like the lens fits you well. I think it is a good lens for more than macros. I like using it in a small gathering type situation. Like a group at a restaurant for a special occasion, small parties etc. It has worked very well for me in those type situations. I like the focal length.
12-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #11
Damn Brit

It produces really good images Alan. You kept your end up as well of course.
12-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice series Alan. From the great photos I've seen you post from the DA35, it's hard to believe you're not sold on this lens yet.
12-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Looks like you have a nice sharp lens. I like the creamy out of focus backgrounds too.
QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
Oh-oh. Those are great and that lens... hum? Wide and deep... Hum.:ugh:
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Love 2 & 3! Great job.
Thanks for the comments...
12-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Looking good to me Alan. By your images here, it looks like the lens fits you well. I think it is a good lens for more than macros. I like using it in a small gathering type situation. Like a group at a restaurant for a special occasion, small parties etc. It has worked very well for me in those type situations. I like the focal length.
Thanks, LaRee.....I plan on using it similarly. Without the battery grip on the K200D, it makes for a lightweight combo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It produces really good images Alan. You kept your end up as well of course.
Thanks Gary. You know much I agonized over letting the 90mm go for this lens. The focal length will allow me to use it for than just macros, so I think I made a good choice.

QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
Nice series Alan. From the great photos I've seen you post from the DA35, it's hard to believe you're not sold on this lens yet.
Don't get me wrong....it's a great lens. I'm just trying to find a place for it in my setup. I already have the 35mm focal length covered with the Sigma 24-60. So far, the only real difference I see is in macro ability and size. The IQ of the Sigma is every bit as good as the DA35. I'm going to have to do some side-by-side testing to figure out how to use them independently. The fact that the DA is smaller/lighter and can easily shoot handheld macros is a major plus since I rarely use a tripod.
12-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rather than start another thread, I figured I'd post some more DA35 loveliness right here in this one. I think this lens is starting to grow on me a little bit...