Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
Forum Member

TUTORIAL: Posting User-Friendly Photos

OK, more than one request.

First, please control the height. It would be best, IMO, if images could be fully seen, top to bottom, without scrolling. That is probably somewhere around 600 pixels maximum.

Second, please post the most important EXIF data. Shutter speed, aperture, focal length, ISO, yes/no flash are the things that most interest me.

--

It would be nice if there was a way to see images 'full screen' on this site, but perhaps the software doesn't support that.

10-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bob, If your runnng firefox you can R-click on any picture, and then L-click on show picture.
It'll resize the picture to fit the screen for you and everything.
10-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are all very good points, Bob, and I've done a few things to keep problems at a minimum:

In the user photo gallery, the images you upload are resized to 600 pixels regardless of original resolution, but if you click the image, you'll get it in its full dimensions.

As for attachments, all images are resized to 800 pixels wide if they exceed that width.

I can't control off-site images, however, so if they're wider that 600 pixels, it would be better to link to them using [url] tags rather than embedding them with [img] tags.

EXIF info is always great to have- I've added special fields to the user photo gallery, but again, I can't control whether or not it's posted in threads.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I think the size depends on what resolution your monitor is set at. My desktop is set at 800x600 and my laptop is 1024x768. If I posted to fit my desktop the pic would be too small IMO.

10-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

[technique no long works, never mind]

Last edited by Sluggo; 10-01-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: purge outdated info
10-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If we all work together, sure, we can make browsing easier on the users as well as the server.

Great tips- I'm sticking the thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I just use the Microsoft Image resizer available here. It's just a right click, then select the size you want. Default is to make a new file, but you can overwrite if you want. Great for quick size changes for email too. No good for the Maccers though.

04-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #8

Thanks Arpe - The MS Image Resizer is a useful tip - have just downloaded it - it sure makes life easy.
04-21-2007, 06:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I just use the Microsoft Image resizer available here. It's just a right click, then select the size you want.
That's what I use too. I use the largest option (1024 max width or 768 max height). The compression it uses is too strong but it's so simple.

I use the 1024x768 option because I use 1280x960, most people will be using 1280x1024, 1024x768 it's bearable, 800x600 is just painful for anything anyway.
04-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I just use Irfanview

Click on Image, and you'll see a option to Resize / Resample.

It'll even process K100D raw files if you want, but isn't my choice for that
09-29-2007, 11:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Wallace Quote

Second, please post the most important EXIF data. Shutter speed, aperture, focal length, ISO, yes/no flash are the things that most interest me.
Hi Bob,

What are the steps required for making sure that the EXIF data is included with uploaded photos? I know what you mean about that kind of information being helpful, and I would like to see it offered more often - as well as include it in every photo that I upload. I have given some of that info before, but it was always in the manner of writing it out within the post. I had also heard that there was a way in which EXIF data could, somehow, be made to automatically follow the uploaded photo(s). It would be nice to know how to have that achieved - if true.
01-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Agree with Nathan, I would like a bit of info on EXIF as well. How can I be sure that the info is include with uploaded shots.
A question from a computer dummy!
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know about other applications but in Photoshop use "safe as" not "safe for web" and the Exif data will be preserved.

Heinrich
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
I don't know about other applications but in Photoshop use "safe as" not "safe for web" and the Exif data will be preserved.

Heinrich
Couple other things about exif data. Uploading to a site like Photo Bucket will strip data from photo's if you use their resize ptogram Better to re-size with photo shop or some other editor before uploading. Just found this out recently after loading numerous photo's to Flickr and Photo Bucket. jim