Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Just peeking in...
Posted By: photo_mom, 03-20-2007, 07:43 PM

Hi! I've surfaced for a breath of air and am trying to re-engage here...

First off, I want to apologize for not being around much lately. I've tried to check in every once in awhile, but when I did felt too tempted to stay and talk. You'll see below why that caused too much of a problem...

In December, my daughter's ice skating takes over our lives until about mid-June. This last December I was again the photographer for the Christmas show - Nutcracker on Ice. The difference this year was that I had the K10D and the number of 'keeper' photos increased dramatically. Two dress rehearsals and the show, plus individual and group portraits, and then candids from the party added up to a phenomenal number of pictures I had to process. After the show, they had two other shows and the first competition at our home rink, plus a couple more dress rehearsals and practices in between. To make a long story short, the totals follow:

From Dec 16-Feb 17 (ice skating only): 4343 photos taken, 3701 keepers. That's 85%! By keepers, I mean the photo was completely in focus, the color and the exposure was good, and the shot was something interesting or an essential part of the routine. Over that period, I figure I averaged about 4 hours a day processing pictures, after work and well into the night sometimes, at a rate of about 13-14 pictures per hour.

But, alas, I'm not done. I've got another 1700 to finish from the second competition and a kite fly-in from this month. Then a 3-day competition is coming up in a couple of weeks... Somebody please cut off my shutter finger!!!

I did manage to take a few non-skating related pictures during the ice storm on Valentine's day and the snow day at the end of February. So the title should now make sense:

Views: 2,969
03-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome back, Tracy

Wow, Blue Jays popping its head out - Spring is near. The eyes and the feathers are quite clear - the look of curiosity is definitely there. Like a short film with better image quality.

You certainly took a lot of photos. Sure you will share many of them with us
03-20-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy to hear from you again. I know how it feels with an overload of images; I'm still working on the Summer of '06.

Here is what I'm planning to do going forward: I'll shoot RAW+JPG, and set the JPG's to +2 sharpening, +1 contrast, and probably bright image tone finishing. The JPG's can then be used as-is (for WEB display for example), and only the really good images will be re-processed from the RAW original for optimal quality. That should cut down the computer work. I hope...
03-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great to hear from you Tracy. It's sometimes very hard to find the time with kids, and a busy life. But glad to managed to pop in.
Cheers.

03-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Glad you're getting some breathing in! You've been busy. Good luck to your daughter for upcoming comps - and keep shooting, even if you can't share with all of us.
03-21-2007, 02:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Busy times and we all know the feeling. Good to see you take a peek and know you haven't forgotten us Great shots!
03-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Um, roentarre, it's not a Blue Jay, but a Tufted Titmouse. As it's both too small and not blue enough to be a Blue Jay.

Intriguing shot, Photomom.

03-21-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was wondering when you were going to resurface. Great to here from you and glad to hear all is going well. The K10 is treating you right. I forget are you making sales from the shots you are taking? If you are sounds like you have enought to get some new glass soon. Welcome back
03-21-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Tracy, welcome back! Sounds like you've been busy! I would imagine that some of that increased keeper rate is also due to the increased skill of the brain directing the aforementioned shutter finger. Congatulations. It's also obvious you haven't lost your sense of humor, playing peek-a-boo with a titmouse. Nice shots and thanks for sharing.

NaCl(hope to hear from you more frequently, you've been missed)H2O
03-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good to have you back after such a time. Looking forward to more. Show us some of those keepers.
03-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome back Tracy, we missed you. An 85% keep rate is awesome! I'm still somewhere around 1%
03-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #12

What a cute series, you have there. That bird looks as curious as little monkey
03-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great to see some of your photos again. Good serie with the bird. Any chance we may see some of those keepers?

Cheers

Eddie
03-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to hear from you, Tracy. I thought you'd taken up sky diving!

Jer
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
Um, roentarre, it's not a Blue Jay, but a Tufted Titmouse. As it's both too small and not blue enough to be a Blue Jay.
Oops, did not know that. Thanks for the correction. I thought I had seen a lot here to call it Blue Jay I will google titmouse and learnt a bit more