Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Roadtrip to Petaluma, CA...B&W series
Posted By: mikeSF, 05-07-2009, 01:54 AM

I forgot I took these photos on my recent drive to Petaluma, CA. Just a few sights along the way worthy of a stop. Hope you like them.

#1 Rusty Truck

#2 "T-6 to Tower..."

#3 Jeep

#4 Cobwebs On Statue

Last edited by mikeSF; 05-07-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Views: 1,956
05-07-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You need to tell me where that plane is.
05-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
If he did then he would have to kill you.

I lived in Petaluma for a brief period. Nice little town. Thanks for posting.
05-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Based on the old tower in the background, it looks like maybe Gnoss / Novato field?

Nice shots - when you say you took them, do you mean you you photographed them or did you just take them off the walls of diners and scan 'em when you got home ... Great old-timey processing. I have to say #2 is my favorite of the series.

05-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You bet! These goodies and many more are all within a 1 mi stretch of Hwy 121 north of Infineon Raceway and south of the Vineyard Inn (Fremont Rd). (So, technically NOT in Petaluma but on the way to it from where I live in East Contra Costa County). The airfield has other planes, operational and decommissioned, just waiting to be photographed. I didn't have much time, but they had the T-6 Texan out that day as i was passing and i couldnt resist. The folks there are extra nice too; once they let my son climb in the cockpit of the Biplane. I seem to recall peering into one of the hangars once and spying a P-51 Mustang, maybe it was just parts of one, OR maybe i was dreaming, can't recall at this point but warrants further investigation. I think one of the other skeletons out on the tarmac is a Lockheed Lodestar.

from Google Earth:
Schellville Airport / Sign says "Biplane Rides"
23982 Arnold Dr
Sonoma, CA 95476
(707) 938-2444
Napanet.net

Then just a little north of the airfield across Hwy 121 from the Gloria Ferrer Winery is that old rusty truck, visible from the roadside. I parked on the shoulder and waded through tick infested high brush wearing shorts and sandals and nearly got cut on barbed wire just to get close enough to shoot that truck with my 55mm lens. ok, it wasnt as bad as it sounds...bring a 135mm or 200mm and shoot from your car window with the A/C blasting.

The statue is from a statuary/gallery converted from somebody's home along the same street, immediately to the north. there are all sorts of art pieces there on display and for sale.

I'll see if i can post a few more shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
If he did then he would have to kill you.

I lived in Petaluma for a brief period. Nice little town. Thanks for posting.
Some beautiful scenery in every direction throughout Sonoma County, for certain.

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Based on the old tower in the background, it looks like maybe Gnoss / Novato field?

Nice shots - when you say you took them, do you mean you you photographed them or did you just take them off the walls of diners and scan 'em when you got home ... Great old-timey processing. I have to say #2 is my favorite of the series.
Thanks so much. Man, i have been to Gnoss Field and would love to shoot pics there...that whole place has the "vibe".

05-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
hey Rohnert Park! That's technically where I was headed, to check in with the man who is building me a guitar. He used to have his workshop in Petaluma so i still refer to the trip as such. I am going up again this weekend to Rohnert to see his progress. It has been 2.5 years since i placed my order...now getting close to completion.
05-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
hey Rohnert Park! That's technically where I was headed, to check in with the man who is building me a guitar. He used to have his workshop in Petaluma so i still refer to the trip as such. I am going up again this weekend to Rohnert to see his progress. It has been 2.5 years since i placed my order...now getting close to completion.
Hey, that's not Goodall or something like that, is it? My dad bought a custom guitar from that area years ago - I don't remember where exactly...

05-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is a shot of the biplane used for rides...NOT for the inner-ear challenged like me.

Biplane
05-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Hey, that's not Goodall or something like that, is it? My dad bought a custom guitar from that area years ago - I don't remember where exactly...
remarkably, there are scores of fine guitar makers in Sonoma County...not sure why, but they are there. There is even a biannual Guitar Maker's festival in Healdsburg...yeah, who knew.

The guy building mine is named Sakashta...here is his link: Taku Sakashta Guitars

I think Goodall is further up the road, in Mendocino county, IIRC.
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Intriguing pictures - I really dig Rusty Truck.

Jer
05-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
just an update, i passed this airfield today and both biplanes were in the air giving rides.
There was also a P-40 Warhawk out on the tarmac. yeah, that's right. what a treat. i was late on the way to my appointment and vowed to photograph the P-40 on my return but when I came back through town in the afternoon, it was put away...i checked the skies just in case and didn't see it. I will be back up in a couple weeks so I hope to catch a few pics of more planes.