Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Indecent Exposure
Posted By: Sailor, 05-31-2009, 04:40 PM

While sailing on Friday, I fired off a couple of shots directly into the sun, since I enjoy the "star" effect such images produce (particularly with the DA 15). Here are two exposures - the first uncompensated and the second with EV bumped a stop.

Compositionally, I prefer the first, since the sun intersects the mainsheet reeved through the boom blocks, but I like the detail of the boat visible in the second one (even though my wife thoughtlessly altered course enough to "move" the sun where I didn't want it).

Which do you guys prefer - or should I trash both?

Jer

Views: 2,671
05-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely #2. There isn't enough detail visible in #1. Maybe if you did a "fill flash" in PP? BTW, that forward most set of lines is a boom vang?

NaCl(doesn't look like it's part of the sheet)H2O
05-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Definitely #2. There isn't enough detail visible in #1.
I like the way #2 works, but I see what you mean. It would have been nice to have the sun captured.
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, i like that first capture of the sun between the lines so much I had to copy your pic and pull it into PE7 for a while and adjust the shadows and sky to look like the 2nd just to see how good it can get. The sky bands when it lightens so it takes a while to blend but I really like the star effect in that first shot with the high contrast around it. You did not use a star filter correct?

ps - deleted your pic after i played with, didnt mean to imply i was keeping a copy.

05-31-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
and
Veteran Member

I think its a nice effect as long as its not too blown out and doesnt have a lot of flare. so here it works fine, yes the first shot is too dark, second is better
05-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

#2 is awesome Jer. you are getting some great shots these days. Good boating. JIM
06-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Definitely #2. There isn't enough detail visible in #1. Maybe if you did a "fill flash" in PP? BTW, that forward most set of lines is a boom vang?

Hey, buddy. I haven't tried any PP yet - don't know if PSP has a fill flash functionality, but sounds like a good idea to try.

Yes, the forward lines are, in fact, part of the vang. I'm thinking of replacing it with a solid vang, but the price of these things - which basically are two tubes of steel, a couple of springs, a block or two and some line - cost as much as my DA 35 Limited. So far, I haven't quite accepted that.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I like the way #2 works, but I see what you mean. It would have been nice to have the sun captured.
I put the blame squarely on my wife , who thoughtless changed course and "moved" the sun.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Sorry, i like that first capture of the sun between the lines so much I had to copy your pic and pull it into PE7 for a while and adjust the shadows and sky to look like the 2nd just to see how good it can get. The sky bands when it lightens so it takes a while to blend but I really like the star effect in that first shot with the high contrast around it. You did not use a star filter correct?

ps - deleted your pic after i played with, didnt mean to imply i was keeping a copy.
No, I didn't use a star filter (I used to use all kinds of filters, now I use none but the standard UV). I wish you would have posted your version; I'll try some PP on #1, but my PP skills beyond the usual are pretty rudementary.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I think its a nice effect as long as its not too blown out and doesnt have a lot of flare. so here it works fine, yes the first shot is too dark, second is better
Thanks much.

Jer

06-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
#2 is awesome Jer. you are getting some great shots these days. Good boating. JIM
I sure appreciate that, JIM. I've never enjoyed photography as much as I do right now.

Jer
06-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Umm I prefer drinking a beer on deck while my wife takes the helm actually - I like the symmetry of #1 but as you mentioned #2 has more to see so in choice I am going to vote #2.
06-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #10

As none think a like.... I like one. Not every thing has to be detailed and light.
06-01-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Umm I prefer drinking a beer on deck while my wife takes the helm actually - I like the symmetry of #1 but as you mentioned #2 has more to see so in choice I am going to vote #2.
Ah, buddy, you do have the heart of a real sailor - you picked what's really important.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete E Quote
As none think a like.... I like one. Not every thing has to be detailed and light.
Thanks, Pete, for the input.

Jer