Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
HDR in the mountains
Posted By: Black Magic, 08-11-2009, 12:53 AM

I recently took a trip to Banff National Park. I've never tried HDR before, but thought Banff was a good place to practice. Because this is my first attempt, I'd like to hear your opinions on how I could improve, and do things differently next time. Also, sorry for the watermarks, but I only have the trial version of photomatix. Why do some of my photo's have the watermarks, while others don't?

I tried this picture twice, as the first time, it came out with a red hue because I didn't first convert to JPEG. Also, there is a strange stripe on the right side on the non-converted pic. Can anyone explain the hue and the stripe? I can't decide which one looks better. What's your opinion?

Views: 2,314
08-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, these are great!! The first and the last are stunning, what a place.....
From the second and third I like the monochrome one best. Great job, nothing more to say!
08-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those are very nice.... HDR WITHOUT being overdone.

I though all your images got the watermark in the trial version.

BTW, i like the red... kind of a sepia type effect.

mike
08-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #4

Can't tell you how to improve them as I thing these are great.

08-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #5

Beautiful images, nicley done with the HDR
The watermarks, I think, only appear in the trial version when you use the full functionality. If you use just use the basic functions (as supplied in the free version) they are watermark free.
08-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #6

The first two are simply fantastic. That's how HDR should be done. You did it just so nice.
08-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

I really like them all. The first is my favorite. Keep up the good work!

08-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful shots! Have to say the last one is my fav though.

Mike
08-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

wow, I've been to Banff soooo many times and I've never been able to capture anything this beautiful. Your shots are simply amazing.

Next time I encounter the boring colors of the mountain, I will try HDR instead. Thanks for the post. You did a great job.

Out of curiousity, what was your bracket setting? How many shots and what was the EV stepping?
08-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Majestic images, Black'.
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Beautifully done!
08-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm not usually an HDR fan but these are really good because it's not overdone. I think the last image is the strongest by a way.
Just a note that in the first and last ones there's a visible trail (from the 'spot healing' tool or similar?) kind of in the top-middle-left of the image.

Love to see the last one maybe not so blue? Maybe more contrast? Monochrome? I think you should play around with it, it's a really good image.
08-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Innershell: The first and last were composed of 3 exposures I believe, and the middle two were composed of 5; All were done in 1.0 EV steps. If I had to do it again, I guess I would have done them all with 5 exposures, but I was just experimenting. I've read that 5 exposures will give you more range...Any truth to this anyone? Also, is 1 EV steps too much/not enough? Will I get better results using another value?

CWyatt: I think i'll take your advice and do the last image monochrome, maybe similar to the third photo posted, just to see what it looks like. Thanks for the advice!
08-11-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Nice to see you haven't abused the privelage of having HDR. Some people trash great photos by using HDR.

You have an amazing eye and great HDR technique keep it up.
08-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah these are insanely good

The 1st & last shots are the best in my eyes but the last gets the thumbs up - fantastic symmetry with the reflections in the lake.

Dylan