Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some Field Hockey shots (12 pics)
Posted By: Eruditass, 10-24-2009, 10:53 AM

Thanks to the very generous BrendanPK, I was able to take some sport shots at some of my niece's games! Note, not the same days or same fields - though I probably could've matched the WB and colors a bit better.

C&C very welcome

4 tongue girl

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-24-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Views: 4,153
10-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots! Let's see some metadata What lens?

I'll never understand the charm of field hockey.....
10-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I randomly chose to upload them to flickr but I don't think I'll do that anymore because of their limits. I guess flickr stripped the exif info from the image but it does have it available if you go to my set and click more properties:

Fall 2009 Atholton Field Hockey - a set on Flickr

Taken with the Sigma 70-200/2.8

One more that I like just because of the grass flying up which is in focus against the background:

10-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great action shots. tough girls out there

10-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice work! I've been shooting a lot of hockey myself and would be very pleased with these. You're getting much closer to the action than I've been. A few seem just a tad oversharpened but the action is terrific--very nice captures. What lens were you using and what settings?
10-25-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great stuff.

Field hockey is fun to shoot as you get all those great facial expressions. I see you drifted away from the horizontal on a few of your shots. I do this all the time. Unless the effect is intentional you can fix this up in Photoshop and level the playing field so to speak.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-25-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: typo
10-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scottnorwo Quote
great action shots. tough girls out there
Thanks! Yep, they sure are. They also look a lot bigger through the viewfinder - one time I just watched part of the game and they were so tiny! They are highschoolers.

10-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Nice work! I've been shooting a lot of hockey myself and would be very pleased with these. You're getting much closer to the action than I've been. A few seem just a tad oversharpened but the action is terrific--very nice captures. What lens were you using and what settings?
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Thank you, I enjoyed taking them and learned a lot - each consecutive game I got more and better keepers. I was right on the edge of the field, moving my monopod around and was kneeling to try to get the best perspective of them!

Was using the 70-200/2.8 sigma DG, I played with all of the settings. First I shot Tv with anywhere from 1/500 to 1/1000, then I tried some Av to get a little more DoF on some shots to make it easier on me - I've found that the second e-dial on the K10D I borrowed was very helpful because I set it to ISO, so when the shutter dropped I just bumped up the ISO. I'll be getting a K-x soon so we'll see how I like 1 dial.

Thanks for the observation, which ones would you say are also oversharpened? Looking at the resizes, I can say #5 definitely sticks out as being oversharpened and I'll make sure to avoid it, and #1 I was slightly blurred but I can see it was a bit much. I also didn't do much NR - some of the shots could benefit from a bit more of that I'd say.
10-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Great stuff.

Field hockey is fun to shoot as you get all those great facial expressions. I see you drifted away from the horizontal on a few of your shots. I do this all the time. Unless the effect is intentional you can fix this up in Photoshop and level the playing field so to speak.

Tom G
Facial expressions are what makes taking sports shots fun!

A lot of my shots were not level because I had to get on my knees to get the best perspective. I fixed most of them but actually liked the couple that I left in there slightly tilted.

Level the playing field, eh? nice!
10-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shots. Hockey is a quick game and it can be hard to catch the action. You have done well to catch the expressions of the girls.

I like the photo with the grass flying up. The hockey over here is played on artificial turf with water so we get water spray coming of the clubs.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers
Eddie
10-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fierce intensity in the girls.
Nicely captured.
Thanks for sharing these from the 70-200.
10-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Thanks for the observation, which ones would you say are also oversharpened? Looking at the resizes, I can say #5 definitely sticks out as being oversharpened and I'll make sure to avoid it, and #1 I was slightly blurred but I can see it was a bit much. I also didn't do much NR - some of the shots could benefit from a bit more of that I'd say.
I thought #11 also but, like I say the critical thing is to capture the action, which you've done magnificently. I might add that, as a father paying for orthodontia, I think mouth guards are great but as a photographer, I think they're regrettable.
10-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah they all look pretty odd with the mouth guards, instead of having a real aggressive face. But I went through several years with braces, so I am glad that they wear them.

Also, the kids appreciate their friends' funny faces with them!
10-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Excellent - nice to see some real hockey on here!
10-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Great shots! They bring back memories of playing hockey in high school