Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Three weeks in south-east Asia
Camera: Pentax K10D 
Posted By: CWyatt, 12-23-2009, 07:20 AM

Some shots I have just edited from the last three weeks - spent mostly in Vietnam, and also briefly Cambodia and Thailand.

All shots with Pentax K10D. Most with Sigma 24-60mm EX, some with Sigma 70-300mm.

These shots are some I have edited the first day back, so some are stronger than others, and some decent ones are missing.
EDIT:This series is now available on my website: www.camuswyatt.com - in the gallery Images of Asia.

Last edited by CWyatt; 03-17-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Views: 12,784
12-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy smokes! there sre some absolutely stunning shots here...great eye!
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agree. Some very nice shots. I'm curious though, do you feel comfortable taking pictures of people? How do they react? I feel uncomfortable taking pictures of people when I'm traveling - I'll only do it if I ask them first and I don't do that very often.

Do you tip them? (Especially people like the children at the dumps?) Ask them? Or just fire away?

I love Vietnam. Thanks for sharing.
12-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow. These are some breathtaking captures. I'm particularly slack-jawed over "Child of Stung Meanchey rubbish dump, Phnom Penh" and "Man passing street barber, Hanoi." Incredible work, and thanks so much for sharing!

12-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stunning series CW.
Travel photography in all its glory.
Flight from Notre Dame Cathedral, Saigon is particularly captivating.
Well done with them all.
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great series. Well done.
12-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

A beautiful series. The street vendors in Hanoi and the boats in Hoi An caught my attention. Thanks for sharing.

12-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Simply stunning
12-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Fantastic!
12-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wow, lovely series..

I love Nurses parading, Monks collecting, Wandering street vendors..

Simply excellent shots. I wish I had captured Cambodia, Vietnam & Thailand as well as you have.
12-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I'm curious though, do you feel comfortable taking pictures of people? How do they react? I feel uncomfortable taking pictures of people when I'm traveling - I'll only do it if I ask them first and I don't do that very often.

Do you tip them? (Especially people like the children at the dumps?) Ask them? Or just fire away?
I've gotten over the uncomfortable-ness I think. I've only been photographing for a few years but I think it's something I have slowly gotten over by doing a lot of street photography. I also recently did some press work, and you really have to get in people's faces for that, which was also a learning experience which helped deal with it I think. Although then you can fall back on your press pass.

There's definitely all kinds of moral questions about someone with a flash camera turning up and taking photos of people in extreme poverty etc. I think the good outweighs the bad. It's a real question in a lot of photojournalism, is the photographer exploiting the people who are suffering? They are making a living out of it, but I think most photographers are driven by altruistic reasons. It's important for people to see things.

There are certainly some things you can do though. The kids at the dump live by collecting recycling to sell, so I took a bag of my empty water bottles, and an old pair of shoes (some are in bare feet amongst broken glass and discarded needles).

Throughout Vietnam, Cambodia etc I was asked quite a bit for money for photos. Personally, I never gave any. I occasionally asked people if a photo was OK, but 99% just shoot it.

Giving money, in my opinion, is OK but creates a cycle where people start expecting cash for photos. If they let you into their house or something I would, but if it's on the street I just shoot and move on. Maybe that;s partly because for press stuff it';s definitely a no-go (although I think it happens quite a lot). There were also a lot of kids who will do anything, like help you with your bags etc for money. Every book I read said don't pay them, they're mostly being used, and payment creates the system whereby it can continue. Tough to deal with though when you're comparatively so wealthy. My view is that there are ways you can help that are better then handing out cash to people in the street.

I didn't ask the kids at the dump for permission. They mostly ignored me or seemed content with me wandering about shooting. A more selfish reason for not handing out money is that then you're going to be hounded, which is sad but true. If they saw me give a kid a dollar, every kid would've been following me the whole time.

The other tough one was shooting monks etc praying. I think capturing these kinds of things is really good, but you don't want to be really disrespectful. I Did shoot stuff like that, I just tried to be very quiet and not get in anyones way.
12-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I found Cambodia to be the worst for kids asking for money. I remember giving a little girl some money to get rid of her, and she turned around and said 'What can I buy with that!' And then stamped her foot. After that time, I stopped giving money to the kids.

The camera is yours and you are free to take what you want within your own moral boundaries. Asia is a very special place for street & people photography because it is simply so crowded and people are usually not irrked about their photo being taken. Personal space is not in abundance in places like Vietnam & China. I found, in China, that the majority of people smiled if they noticed me taking their photo. This was not in a tourist city in any sense. I on the other hand, had my personal space pushed to the absolute limit every day on the buses. Something that takes a while to get used to.
12-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Phenomenal series...definately photo journalism material!
12-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What an excellent series of images. Well done.
12-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is an exceptional series and some of the images are visually stunning, thank you for sharing your trip with us.