Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Garden Flowers
Lens: 105mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Limerick, Ireland ISO: 200 
Posted By: rparmar, 04-15-2010, 07:04 AM

'Tis the season for some flower shots, with blossoms and blooms everywhere. For this thread I went no further than my front garden. Someone plants these, they grow, and then I take pictures of them!

I used the Vivitar Series I 105mm macro, my preferred lens for close-ups.

garden blossoms

Insects love these blossoms. They seem to sleep in them! If you look closely there is one inside the flower to the left.

(I chose this one for the flower thread, but I am not sure.)
Views: 2,655
04-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OK, now you can see an insect clearly.

blossom with insect

04-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was happy to capture the texture and full colour of these plants. I think this is the best I have done. In a way they are more photogenic as a field, so I will try again with a wider lens.

blue bottles

04-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like this one Robin. That is a nice lens, sharp and the colors are wonderful. And you managed to post a couple of more while I was typing. I like the bluebottles (are they the same as grape hyacinth?)

04-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I should mention that my tripod is missing in action, so I took all of these hand-held. There was some breeze but it was not impossible.

orange and white

04-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
These flowers must have been genetically engineered for Valentine's Day by some breeder in Madison Avenue!

hearts in a line

04-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
There we go. While I realise that flower shots can sometimes benefit from soft focus and a creative approach, this time I wanted to capture petal texture and fine detail, so I tried to get things as sharp as possible. Different PP could change the feeling entirely.

Fuchsia grows wild all over these parts, but these are in our garden.

two hearts

Last edited by rparmar; 04-15-2010 at 06:53 PM.
04-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots Robin, that last one really stands out, but I also like the blue bottles a lot
04-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice shots, my favorite is definitely this first one with all that detail and color. The blue sky really stands out well with the pink of the flowers. The blue flower is also my favorite as it is my favorite color and the greens really pop as well.

Thanks for sharing.
04-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #10

Great Series

Great Series Robin! Thanks for sharing. I think the bleeding hearts have a way of fooling you though with the sharpness...they sheen on the petals make them seem softer sometimes than they are.
04-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I like this one Robin. That is a nice lens, sharp and the colors are wonderful. And you managed to post a couple of more while I was typing. I like the bluebottles (are they the same as grape hyacinth?)
Yes, I think their real name is Grape Hyacinth, I just thought they looked like bottles. :-) I do love the colours and have a nice PP workflow that enhances them without this fake colour I dislike.

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Great shots Robin, that last one really stands out, but I also like the blue bottles a lot
It's the texture and shape that makes them so intriguing, for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Very nice shots, my favorite is definitely this first one with all that detail and color. The blue sky really stands out well with the pink of the flowers. The blue flower is also my favorite as it is my favorite color and the greens really pop as well.
We have had some nice weather so it helped with the light and in getting a clear blue sky. I had to crouch down to get that much sky behind the plants, since otherwise there might well have been our street as a background.

QuoteOriginally posted by ecwoj Quote
Great Series Robin! Thanks for sharing. I think the bleeding hearts have a way of fooling you though with the sharpness...they sheen on the petals make them seem softer sometimes than they are.
Yes, the sheen is quite something! And the part at the bottom tip looks almost metallic.

Reality is stranger than any fiction. Especially when you look closely.