Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Early shots: 55-300 w/ 2x Kenko TC - turtles, birds, cat, flower...
Posted By: flippedgazelle, 04-21-2010, 11:45 AM

1st chance to test the Kenko 2x TC in the field. I have a couple of threads with photos from the 1.5x TC I acquired last week. Both TC's have been pretty good. 1 big difference between them (in terms of usage) is that AF does sorta work with the 1.5x, but the 2x only occasionally locks focus. Hence, these shots are all MF.

Shots @ 300mm X 2x TC, handheld. My default settings in ACR, no other PP.

This one is @ 210mm x 2x TC.

Last edited by flippedgazelle; 04-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Views: 2,093
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That first turtle photo is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I had no idea that they all gathered together like that, and I don't think that I have ever seen that many before in the same place. That photo is really cool! The rest of them are great too, especially love your robin photo, and the last turtle photo as well.
04-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Way finer looking shots than I expected from that combo. Certainly better than I attained on one try. Speaks well for your manual focusing abilities as well as the gear. Maybe I will try again.
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
That first turtle photo is the coolest thing I have ever seen! I had no idea that they all gathered together like that, and I don't think that I have ever seen that many before in the same place. That photo is really cool! The rest of them are great too, especially love your robin photo, and the last turtle photo as well.
Thanks!

I think these shots show that there is a benefit to using a decent 2x TC.

Here's another "turtles shot", taken without the TC - just the 55-300 @ 300mm. I counted 52 turtles When I moved closer, they started slipping into the river.

04-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Way finer looking shots than I expected from that combo. Certainly better than I attained on one try. Speaks well for your manual focusing abilities as well as the gear. Maybe I will try again.
Thanks. I've put a lot of practicing into MF-ing... Given how good of a photographer you already are, I bet you can wrangle fine shots outta your TC. I admit to being a little dubious as to how good the results with a TC would be. Right now my feeling on the lens/TC combo is this: if something is really far away, that you can barely make it out, the TC won't help much, except maybe for identification purposes. However, if the subject is close enough that you can make out details, then the TC can be very beneficial.
04-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice set of photos, I am really impressed that those kenko TC kept all that detail. My favorite out of your set is the fourth one of that beautiful purple looking bird. The bird is very sharp and the background is wonderful as well, thanks for sharing.
04-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Very nice set of photos, I am really impressed that those kenko TC kept all that detail. My favorite out of your set is the fourth one of that beautiful purple looking bird. The bird is very sharp and the background is wonderful as well, thanks for sharing.
Thanks. The bird is a boat tailed grackle - we've had an influx of them over the last few years.

One interesting aspect of using a TC is the shallow DOF it provides. It's both a blessing and a curse.

04-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, wonderful shots these. I have been wanting the Kenko TC for a long time now and you have convinced me that it is worth it. You really did a great job with it.
04-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great photos. I love turtles and have seen quite a few lined up before, but not as many as you have in your last picture. That's really cool. Although it's not the focal point of your photo, I love how you got the goose making a landing in the background. I also really like the photo of the purple bird and how the background is melted away.