Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 12:42 AM - 11 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2018 Pentax Survey

Click below to take the 2018 Pentax survey: This survey does not currently contain any questions relating to Medium format. A Medium Format Survey will follow in due course.

https://www.murvey.com/s?5a70133e6cdc1be004eea3c9

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-27-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Note re medium format added.
02-26-2018, 02:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great idea ! many good questions !
02-26-2018, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very exhaustive survey. Who conducts it and why? Is it going to Ricoh for their future strategies?
02-26-2018, 03:30 AM   #4
Closed Account

There are a few questions at end that are identical to some of the suggestions made for changes/improvements in the Product Suggestion And Feedback forum here. An excellent forum for inspiration.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 02-26-2018 at 10:43 PM.
02-26-2018, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #5

Looks like my answers were pretty much in line with the rest of you. All I want for Christmas is a great APS-C body with a top-notch AF
02-26-2018, 03:55 AM   #6

Seriously, the what you want to see number of options is too small. 8 or 9 of them (I think) involve the AF. Put a 'Improved AF system' and a long description (or even a separate topic with options; cause we all know how sensitive this `feature` is) ; other options (that again, make Pentax different in a positive way) would be good and needed (but I can' t select them bec. of the AF raising the number) . It' s a compromise...
But yeah. Bring me a camera that is to fight on equal terms with the competition and I will switch back to Pentax (AF good enough/ ideally best for the year it' s released) .

Best of luck!

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 02-26-2018 at 05:05 AM.
02-26-2018, 03:56 AM - 4 Likes   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Click below to take the 2018 Pentax survey:

https://www.murvey.com/s?5a70133e6cdc1be004eea3c9
Hi Adam,
please consider the 645 users as well! the Survey covers only APS-C and FF

02-26-2018, 04:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

well ...

Nicely done. However, for those staying at APS-C format I miss more new lens options. For instance, I would be really fine with something like DA 24/1,4 DC WR of the size of Fujinon 23/1,4. Instead of this, I had to vote for FF version of this lens.
02-26-2018, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't believe I'm the only one that would like to see a 200mm macro lens!
02-26-2018, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #10

Looking at the answers from others, it seems like most people don't want innovation. Just the stable offerings that we got from Pentax for years. I think that this product segment will continue to shrink though.
02-26-2018, 06:15 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

I don't understand the purpose of a new lens mount...
Could someone explain?
Is there a benefit from changing the mount that the current K-mount isn't capable of producing?

At the end of my survey, results showed 11 people preferred Pentax to focus their limited resources to develop a FF mirrorless new mount.
Wouldn't that just deter existing Pentax owners from buying it, seeing that many of us have invested a great deal of money into vintage K-mount lenses.
02-26-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Could someone explain?
Is there a benefit from changing the mount that the current K-mount isn't capable of producing?

At the end of my survey, results showed 11 people preferred Pentax to focus their limited resources to develop a FF mirrorless new mount.
Wouldn't that just deter existing Pentax owners from buying it, seeing that many of us have invested a great deal of money into vintage K-mount lenses.

To exist, as a company, you can' t count on the same customers to keep buying your stuff. For that, you need to come with something new, to attract new customers (Pentax' s case, getting to current age is a challenge) .
Let people request what they want, and see what there will actually be implemented (if, ever) .
Maybe there is a limitation on the K- mount as far as new lenses design goes. Maybe, the limitation is purely finance income for the company (which can be put into more RnD) . Business...

All the best!
02-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
Looks like my answers were pretty much in line with the rest of you. All I want for Christmas is a great APS-C body with a top-notch AF
I'll drink to that!!!
02-26-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Could someone explain?
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
To exist, as a company, you can' t count on the same customers to keep buying your stuff. For that, you need to come with something new, to attract new customers (Pentax' s case, getting to current age is a challenge) .
Let people request what they want, and see what there will actually be implemented (if, ever) .
Maybe there is a limitation on the K- mount as far as new lenses design goes. Maybe, the limitation is purely finance income for the company (which can be put into more RnD) . Business...
If you're building a mirrorless camera, there's no need for a mirror box, so the camera body can be considerably slimmer, with a correspondingly smaller distance from the sensor to the mount. New native lenses would have to be developed for that smaller flange focal distance, and it makes sense to put those on a different mount to avoid confusion with K-mount lenses designed for a much larger registration distance. That confusion existed (and still exists) for people using M39-mount lenses, some of which are designed for rangefinder cameras and others for early Zenit SLRs.

If Ricoh produced a mirrorless camera with a short registration distance and new mount, it would make sense that they also produce an AF-capable K-mount adapter, so that K-mount glass can be used on the new camera. That has two benefits - it allows owners to make use of their existing lenses, and fills in the gaps in the new lens line-up until a full range is developed. Sony did this with their LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 adapters, allowing Minolta AF / Sony A-mount glass to be used on E-mount cameras. Nikon also has such an adapter planned for its forthcoming mirrorless model.

It makes little sense in the current market to produce a mirrorless model with the same registration distance as existing K-mount cameras. In doing so, you lose some of the size and weight advantage of the more compact body (if native lenses are used), and prevent people from adapting a whole range of legacy glass - which is quite a popular use-case for mirrorless cameras, and responsible for a certain number of sales (it's why I bought my A7 MkII ).

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-26-2018 at 07:32 AM.
02-26-2018, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nobody wants tilt/shift wideangle except me.