Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #16

Completed.

I'm looking forward to see a new compact camera with premium fixed prime lens (APS-C or even more excited about FF).

02-26-2018, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #17

sad to see no option to check off K-01 as the main camera body. maybe because it only lists "DSLRs" but still, there must be some of us who still use K-01 a lot!
02-26-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mazwick Quote
Hi Adam,
please consider the 645 users as well! the Survey covers only APS-C and FF
Was a bit surprised very little mention of 645 in the survey. I am a K1 owner, and am loving my 645z.
02-26-2018, 08:21 AM - 4 Likes   #19

Camera options talk a lot about APSC, which is good, but then the survey gives FF the lion's share of the "wanted" lenses. I had to leave that one blank. I'd rather buy some new versions of old lenses (updated with better coatings and WR), but I guess I'll just have to buy the actual old lenses (maybe as people switch to FF?).

02-26-2018, 08:27 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I started to fill out the survey, but then found that whoever created it doesn’t realize that Pentax makes medium format cameras. I am a professional landscape photographer and have no interest in the smaller Pentax formats. What I’d like to see is an update to the 645Z and new lenses introduced in that format. Please update your survey to include MFD.
02-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uncrippled mount, please!

Really exhaustive options in this survey.
02-26-2018, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you're building a mirrorless camera, there's no need for a mirror box, so the camera body can be considerably slimmer, with a correspondingly smaller distance from the sensor to the mount. New native lenses would have to be developed for that smaller flange focal distance, and it makes sense to put those on a different mount to avoid confusion with K-mount lenses designed for a much larger registration distance. That confusion existed (and still exists) for people using M39-mount lenses, some of which are designed for rangefinder cameras and others for early Zenit SLRs.

If Ricoh produced a mirrorless camera with a short registration distance and new mount, it would make sense that they also produce an AF-capable K-mount adapter, so that K-mount glass can be used on the new camera. That has two benefits - it allows owners to make use of their existing lenses, and fills in the gaps in the new lens line-up until a full range is developed. Sony did this with their LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 adapters, allowing Minolta AF / Sony A-mount glass to be used on E-mount cameras. Nikon also has such an adapter planned for its forthcoming mirrorless model.

It makes little sense in the current market to produce a mirrorless model with the same registration distance as existing K-mount cameras. In doing so, you lose some of the size and weight advantage of the more compact body (if native lenses are used), and prevent people from adapting a whole range of legacy glass - which is quite a popular use-case for mirrorless cameras, and responsible for a certain number of sales (it's why I bought my A7 MkII ).
You explanation makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

I was worried it was one of those, "Let's just change it to say we changed something, then we can talk about how we have this cool NEW thing!" - like a lot of other companies are doing right now...

As long as they keep innovating and branding Pentax for the better, I'm on board!
Even if they don't make the lens or the camera I want today, that's fine. The goal here is to expand upon the brand.

Do it successfully, maybe we'll see third-party merchants return.

I was surprised by how many people wanted to see the 150-600mm developed for the K-mount!
It was third from the top when I got my results...

They come out with that lens in WR body with DC motor... For under $1500...
Just tell me where to sign!

02-26-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I was surprised by how many people wanted to see the 150-600mm developed for the K-mount!
I have the G1 version of that lens in A-mount, and it's fantastic (for the price)... I'd buy it for K-mount in a heartbeat
02-26-2018, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #24

It didn't ask the questions I care most about nor did it have answers i care most about. It had a very narrow perspective of features and types of photography. But maybe they are happy to loose customers on the fringes.
02-26-2018, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Click below to take the 2018 Pentax survey:

https://www.murvey.com/s?5a70133e6cdc1be004eea3c9
Have done the survey (eventually). LOL A lot to plough through and some interesting points. It would have been nice to have a section at the end for own ideas and thoughts. Just over a week ago, I attended a workshop hosted by SRS Microsystems on pet photography and run by Ross Grieve and Panasonic. I had the opportunity of using the GH5. Ross uses a setting of 6K Photo which basically does a video burst at 6k and you can use each frame for a photo or go through and select the best frame to export. I thought this feature was a great way of overcoming limited FPS in still shooting. My thoughts at the time was, "If only Pentax had a feature like this, especially on FF with K mount." If Pentax think of developing a FF Mirrorless camera with this feature, I would be queuing up to be the first to get one. I'm sure Pentax could easily do an 8K video photo mode in FF with AF. It would be a winner.
02-26-2018, 10:06 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

"2.Which forum's user are you?"
doesn't cover users who're registered at booth

"6.How many images to you shoot per year (2017)? This refers to shutter actuations, not how many images to keep later on."
Do you?

"12.Look at the following list of prime lens options and pick your max. 3 most wanted lenses.

FF 17mm F4 T/S at about 2400 EUR
FF 19mm F4 T/S at about 4000 EUR"
The less wider lens should be cheaper instead of more expensive.

"17.Your most images are shot at which FF equivalent (!) focal length ?"
If you use the same lens on APS-C & FF, this question isn't perfect. In my opinion it should only reflect the used physical focal length, not any equivalent angles of view.
02-26-2018, 11:13 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
At the end of my survey, results showed 11 people preferred Pentax to focus their limited resources to develop a FF mirrorless new mount. Wouldn't that just deter existing Pentax owners from buying it, seeing that many of us have invested a great deal of money into vintage K-mount lenses.
The nice thing about mirrorless is that you can adapt just about anything. If they don't make a fully-featured adapter for KAF3 and KAF4 lenses, at least, that would be a mistake.

QuoteOriginally posted by troenaas Quote
Nobody wants tilt/shift wideangle except me.
Do you have one of these?
Rokinon Tilt-Shift 24mm F3.5 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #28

Awesome survey! Let's hope someone is going to listen and really use this very important market information.
02-26-2018, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Was a bit surprised very little mention of 645 in the survey. I am a K1 owner, and am loving my 645z.
I brought it up as a suggestion (one of our writers is managing the survey), but we decided that due to the number of mount-specific questions, bringing the 645 system into the mix would over-complicate things. However, we definitely would like to revisit 645 users in a separate survey.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #30
Forum Member

Not many questions relevant to me as I shoot medium format 645z