Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Uncrippled mount, please!
I think this is hidden in
allow non-open-aperture-metering with non-A-lenses

02-27-2018, 04:48 PM   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I agree, and we will ask. We've been asking them every year with the same answer.
Thanks a lot in advance!

I don't recall their last year's response to this question but I think it would be good to remind them that we are still interested.

But who knows- perhaps having to put in the extra hardware did in fact discourage them from continuing to support Pentax.
In terms of hardware, their own Sigma mount is mechanically pretty much a K-mount and electronically pretty much a Canon mount. Hence, catering to KAF4 should be very easy in terms of hardware.

Perhaps reengineering the KAF4's protocol is not worth the effort in their view?

Economically, though, it seems to make less sense to produce their own lenses in Sigma mount. I can't imagine that Sigma mount sales surpassed K-mount sales, if K-mount were in the mix.

Of course, it makes sense that Sigma doesn't snub their own cameras, but if they can afford the luxury of running low count Sigma mount runs, they should be able to afford K-mount runs.
02-27-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #108
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't recall their last year's response to this question but I think it would be good to remind them that we are still interested.
It was "no news and no plans to release anything new for Pentax".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2018, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #109

QuoteOriginally posted by RWU2016 Quote
Good job! I want 4K video 60P. There is no need to take a second 4K video camera alone when lenses are available in the camera bag.
The problem with that is that Ricoh is firmly rooted in 2003, when it comes to video.

02-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Click below to take the 2018 Pentax survey: This survey does not currently contain any questions relating to Medium format. A Medium Format Survey will follow in due course.

https://www.murvey.com/s?5a70133e6cdc1be004eea3c9
Pentax need a light mirrorless camera with a zoom lens to match the fuji t10 or smaller like a Canon that I currently use when I don't want to lug the large K3.
02-28-2018, 03:52 AM   #111

Photos: Gallery
I'd like Ricoh to produce a smaller size FF dSLR, not "entry-level" like the option on this survey, but very well-built and with straight-forward and classic operation like the ZX-5/MZ-5 or the Fuij X-T series, for a contemporary example. Of course, the mirror box and prism would make it bigger than a mirrorless but I'm sure it's feasible. Pentax is not doomed, but maybe people must realize that APS-C is... in the long run. This was nothing more than a "economy" sensor size that nowadays only makes sense for mirrorless. With "crop mode" on FF, who really needs a "pro" APS-C dSLR like a "K-3III"?
02-28-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #112
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjalves Quote
With "crop mode" on FF, who really needs a "pro" APS-C dSLR like a "K-3III"?
Those of us with a significant investment in high quality, compact APS-C lenses, that have no need to use a full frame sensor (nor spend the extra money on it)

EDIT: ... and those who want to see the APS-C view taking up the whole of the optical viewfinder, rather than a smaller rectangle within it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-28-2018 at 04:48 AM.
02-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #113
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What I missed is a 50-55mm T/S Lens for product and food photography. 45mm is already a little too wide already, so I ticked to 85mm T/S instead.
02-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
What I missed is a 50-55mm T/S Lens for product and food photography. 45mm is already a little too wide already, so I ticked to 85mm T/S instead.
Note that there is an Arax 80mm f/2.8 Tilt & Shift lens already available in K-mount.

Last edited by Class A; 02-28-2018 at 09:07 AM.
02-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #115

Done (number 1459 now), but kind of confused about some of the things in the last section - e.g. status screen bit : all I want is a quick option to turn it on or off - can be quite irritating with it on, but miss being able to refer to it quickly. Not sure the boxes I ticked reflected that. Also had problems limiting myself to just 15 choices!
Thanks, nice, comprehensive survey. Looks like a lot of good work done to produce it, hope Ricoh/Pentax take notice.
02-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Thorough yet cumbersome survey. Next time consider breaking down the categories a bit more. My eyes completely glazed over
the last question and I simply scanned and picked one answer. Had the firmware question been broken down into subsections I would
have been much more interested in completing it. Similarly, the wanted lens section could have been broken down into desired focal
length and then one or more questions about desired specs, (max. aperture, etc).

There were also a few typos and ambiguities, most notably flash sync of <1/200, (less than). Is that less than as in smaller number, (faster),
or less than as in not as fast, (bigger number). Could be read either way, even if we all >know< what we want. Personally, I read <1/200 to
mean slower, as that would be less that what we have, even though I >know< we all want faster. Thus, "Flash Sync faster than 1/200" would
be a less ambiguous option to choose.

Only time will tell how much our desire translate into Ricoh's offerings.
02-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by mangelito Quote
Looking at the answers from others, it seems like most people don't want innovation. Just the stable offerings that we got from Pentax for years. I think that this product segment will continue to shrink though.
I don't get why people don't seem to care about video. This is an important and desperately needed update. 4k video requires faster processors and more ram which gives you an overall faster camera and makes Pentax a viable and attractive option for a large demographic that currently do not give even consider Pentax. The majority of the young SLR market want a camera that can perform at a pro/semipro level in both worlds. If your not going to make a camera that can do this then you are resigning yourself to a shrinking market. I would buy an A7iii right now if it had an OVF and I could properly use my Pentax glass. I'm not alone.
02-28-2018, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #118
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by revelstoked Quote
I don't get why people don't seem to care about video. This is an important and desperately needed update. 4k video requires faster processors and more ram which gives you an overall faster camera and makes Pentax a viable and attractive option for a large demographic that currently do not give even consider Pentax. The majority of the young SLR market want a camera that can perform at a pro/semipro level in both worlds. If your not going to make a camera that can do this then you are resigning yourself to a shrinking market. I would buy an A7iii right now if it had an OVF and I could properly use my Pentax glass. I'm not alone.
On one hand, it makes sense that the current users who filled out this survey don't care about video, as otherwise they may have already gone to another system.

On the other hand, if this accurately represents the current Pentax user base, then it's no surprise video updates have been as sluggish as they have been. It seems that Pentax is investing everything in the still image quality department.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2018, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #119
Veteran Member

On one hand, it makes sense that the current users who filled out this survey don't care about video, as otherwise they may have already gone to another system. On the other hand, if this accurately represents the current Pentax user base, then it's no surprise video updates have been as sluggish as they have been. It seems that Pentax is investing everything in the still image quality department.
Yep. Pentax will have to decide to break this magical circle and invest into video. Then it will get more users coming back. Nobody records 720p in 2018. Soon 1080p will be outdated. Pentax will have to bite this apple eventually
02-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mangelito Quote
Looking at the answers from others, it seems like most people don't want innovation. Just the stable offerings that we got from Pentax for years. I think that this product segment will continue to shrink though.
Your innovation, (unstated), is my unneeded feature. I have no interest in the video capabilities of my stills camera.
If, someday, that should change, >then<, will I look for that feature. But historically and up to the present video has never
been a need for me, and I'm delighted Ricoh doesn't waste it's R&D budget on it.

On the other hand, I voted for Mirrorless Medium Format, amongst the minority, apparently. I think the MF sector will
continue to be important for Pentax, but do question the relevance of that HUGE mirror box at this stage in the game.
Yes, I do like OVF, but also anticipate EVF to only improve over time. Heck, why not have both, with a range finder
style OVF or hot shoe attachment. Lenses? Not a problem as the entire supply of legacy 645 glass can be used
with a glassless adapter. I'm not rushing to convert to mirrorless, but I am convinced that it is the inevitable course
for camera development and eventually Ricoh will get squeezed if they don't enter the market segment at some point
in the next, (insert guess), years.

So, what specifically are you looking for?