Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2018, 03:23 AM   #60886
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
We arrived in Auckland in February for our holiday, and spent the first few days staring into the teeth of Cyclone Gita - ‘the big wet’. By the time we got to Fox Glacier on the South Island over a month later, the route up to the glacier was still impassable as the road had been previously washed away by the cyclone.
The glacier is much less accessible now, due to the glacier retreating. When I was there some 16 years ago, you could walk right up the the face of the glacier.

12-19-2018, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #60887
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's raining again. Very wet summer here so far.
I think that the last time you mentioned rain you promised to send some over. (Perhaps I dreamt it).
Whatever - if it was you who sent over last weeks rain, all I can say is next time spread it out a bit.
We got 80mm in about 20 hours - but 15 minutes up the road got 160mm in about the same time; both lanes of the freeway just north of Wangaratta (Melbourne to Sydney main route) was closed for a bit more than a day - cars and trucks stuck with nowhere to go, people climbing on the roofs of vehicles and being helicoptered off: chaos.
12-19-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #60888
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I think that the last time you mentioned rain you promised to send some over. (Perhaps I dreamt it).
Whatever - if it was you who sent over last weeks rain, all I can say is next time spread it out a bit.
We got 80mm in about 20 hours - but 15 minutes up the road got 160mm in about the same time; both lanes of the freeway just north of Wangaratta (Melbourne to Sydney main route) was closed for a bit more than a day - cars and trucks stuck with nowhere to go, people climbing on the roofs of vehicles and being helicoptered off: chaos.
That's a mere sprinkling. Some might say a small shower.

Record rainfall ? Weather ? Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand
12-19-2018, 04:53 AM   #60889
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, it happens, but rarely. Sitting in a plane on the ground, for an hour is not much fun. Of course, they don't want passengers wandering around the taxiways.

And then there are the other airports where all the passengers get out far from the building and catch a bus in. When they get there they find a building that is so small it is wall to wall people hardly able to move.

12-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #60890
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
We arrived in Auckland in February for our holiday, and spent the first few days staring into the teeth of Cyclone Gita - ‘the big wet’. By the time we got to Fox Glacier on the South Island over a month later, the route up to the glacier was still impassable as the road had been previously washed away by the cyclone.

That is unfortunate on your holiday.

I notice where I live that the local council lets the contractors come in, close a road to dig it up for something that with a bit of planning could be done in a week, but allow the contractors to have the road totally closed for three months, and the route around is five miles. Wish they were stricter on enforcing time lines, such as by giving a week and then coming and filling in the hole and then charging the contractor for that work, and also requiring the contractor to submit a new application to dig up the road which gets to the bottom of the inbox for six months or more before being dealt with. That would focus the contractors laying pipes and cables on getting their work done promptly from when they begin the road closure. The three months was for about 100 yards of trenching - and they allowed the same time twice, about a year apart to service two different small housing developments.
12-19-2018, 05:01 AM   #60891
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote

Now you are sounding like a whinging farmer.

Drought. We need rain or we are doomed.

Then it rains. Rain, too much of it, or in the wrong season, we are doomed.
12-19-2018, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #60892
Pentaxian

The "Gilets Jaunes" (accidentally) burned the "Main Jaune" at Chatellerault ... the "yellow vests" set the "yellow hand" statue on fire ... it was voted one of top five ugliest round-abouts in France.

La Main Jaune brûlée à Châtellerault, son sculpteur Francis Guyot exprime sa "tristesse" | Le Huffington Post

12-19-2018, 05:11 AM - 4 Likes   #60893
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
"the truth is everything tastes better with gravy...maybe even haggis".......

CCC....You sure got that one right!

Read more at: why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - Page 2838 - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/141-rupert/albums/10082-great-food/picture92995.jpg

White gravy, brown gravy, red gravy....one of my favorites is my Mom's red coffee gravy for ham.They are all good!

Someone asked about old Rupert.....well, it is the first time I've felt well enough to be here for more than a few seconds lately...been in the hospital about a week once...been down and out at home....a struggle?....yes indeed, night and day, more or less...mostly more.
Great to see you guys all still here and continuing this most important work for the good of humanity. I hope to be able to join in a little more often and learn as much knowledge as possible before I go off to the wonderful Squirrel Heaven I have chosen as an alternative if I fail to make the grade to be with the "human kind". Either way, I feel comfortable and at ease with my eternal future.......and will no doubt see many of you guys once again without ceasing....so hang in there!
BTW-Otis informs that ending up in eternity with humans is a sure sign of failure. .....he said "look around Rupert...how can you disagree? " You know that damn Otis....always right!

Best Regards!
Rupert
One year on. RIP Jim.
12-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #60894
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One year on. RIP Jim.
RIP

Was that his last post?
12-19-2018, 06:03 AM   #60895
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
The "Gilets Jaunes" (accidentally) burned the "Main Jaune" at Chatellerault ... the "yellow vests" set the "yellow hand" statue on fire ... it was voted one of top five ugliest round-abouts in France.

La Main Jaune brûlée à Châtellerault, son sculpteur Francis Guyot exprime sa "tristesse" | Le Huffington Post
I was reading that the problem with these demonstrations in France are not due to the peaceful demonstrators (Yellow Shirts in this case) but rather "The Breakers". I guess these hoodlums rise out of the housing projects and the ghettos and cause destruction just for destruction's sake. They don't care about the cause, just the freedom to cause chaos....
12-19-2018, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #60896
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
RIP

Was that his last post?
Yes it was. Today is exactly one year since he passed away. The post (copied above) was on the 12th of December 2017.
12-19-2018, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #60897
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good morning all. Ottawa, at least, is in the middle of flu season and our house has not been spared. My poor sweetheart is really under the weather but had to come to work today. We drove instead of taking the bus so she can escape quickly and easily if her day get's too uncomfortable. I was off sick yesterday and still don't feel 100% but I will be a trooper and stick it out. The work folks are hitting a bar after work for a cup or two of Christmas cheer; at least this will be temporary escape from my miseries. Anyway, have a great hump day; try to be on the side of the hump that you fancy.
12-19-2018, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #60898
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes it was. Today is exactly one year since he passed away. The post (copied above) was on the 12th of December 2017.
I have read a couple of his posts, sounds like my kind of character. I am sure he is looking down at us from his oak tree perch in squirrel heaven, Otis by his side, chittering at us poor souls still left in this purgatory called earth....
12-19-2018, 06:59 AM - 3 Likes   #60899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Now you are sounding like a whinging farmer.
I an Afrikaans rhyme ( more than hundred years old ) the little boy asked asked the teacher in class after Noah's flood was discussed, whether then farmers were at least satisfied. So an very old problem indeed
12-19-2018, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #60900
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Watch out what packages you pick up. If it ain’t yours don’t touch it.

(Warning: Some language, although bleeped out, is still there and may be NSFW)