Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
77mm Nomination-QueenAnne'sLace-ForWinter
Posted By: angkymac, 01-13-2021, 10:19 AM

SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Digital age still confuses me--hope this entry makes it! (I'm still trying to adjust from film days started back in the 1960s.)
Shot taken after sundown, light from horizon clouds barely caught this wild carrot behind an irrigation canal.
Am impressed with the ability of this lens (and K1-ii) to capture such intricate detail.
ISO 200 to get best detail. Was barely inside the minimum focusing distance for the 77mm. Had to stop down to f8 to get enough depth of field, and hold to 1/30th second to control breezes. Resulted in 2 stops under exposure.
Post processing done in Affinity Photo:
1. Increased exposure 2 stops.
2. Set levels to clip extremes.
3. Curves to enhance contrast a bit and to darken background.
4. Spot burned the brightest spots in the background.
5. Slight dodging on seed head's darkest spots.
No sharpening. No color adjustments.
Amazed at K-1's ability to underexpose and retain data.
This 77mm astonishes me with such precise detail--even a tiny strand of spider web from the top of seed head to leaf tendril on right side shows up (in 100% enlargement) with no distortion or flare. And the tone and hue control are complete. Good lens!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 177