Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 raffle??

No sure if anything like this has been suggested (I couldn't find anything in a quick search of the forums), but a raffle for a new K-7 body could be fun for forum members, and a way to drum up hits and donations for the site (and possibly a little exposure for Pentax).

I'm sure this would be a huge pain in the butt for Adam, but would it be possible for people to buy "raffles" via donations to the forum with a portion of each raffle purchase going to the site (ie, $10 raffle ticket with 7 bucks going towards the ticket, and 3 bucks toward the site)?

Just a thought...

08-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely something that could be done- I'll save the idea for later

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Damn Brit

If we all (or a fair amount of us) put in a few bucks each week, we could draw lots to see who gets the K-7 that week. Eventually we would all get one and the forum could keep the residue each week. If the price goes down, maybe we could do two a week.
Maybe Pentax would cut us a deal on the price if we get them direct.
08-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like a great idea.
K-7 would be a great first raffle, but then future raffles could offer a new lens!
Now that too would draw a crowd...

08-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh my... Sounds exciting!!! Of course, considering how many of us there are, maybe give away 4 or 5? Or am I just trying to get my chances higher?
08-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Banned

sounds like an brilliant idea to me. it could gain exposure for the forums, for Pentax and help a great deal in getting donations to cover server costs and what have you. it will also go a great distance in showing how great this community is, not that we need to prove anything to anyone. im on board for the idea, and more than ready to buy some 'tickets' for a chance to win a K-7. I also think contacting Pentax and cutting a deal on some K-7's direct would be a good idea. we should contact Ned Bunnell about it I think, as he could probably better our chances of cutting such a deal. I personally think that at least Pentax USA would rather like the idea particularly for the K-7 exposure.
08-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #7

Raffle

I am into it. Just a side note, on another forum that I am a member, they do raffles all the time. The hard part is that if someone gets pissed, I have seen them go to paypal and demand their funds back and explain to paypal that this is not completely legal. I know in Oregon, where I live, there are pretty strick rules for raffles. Just a heads up that it can get a little complicated and cumbersome.

Patrick

08-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well either way, I'm in.
08-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

First off, what we'd want to do is make sure that enough people will sign up for the raffle to make sure that there is enough to even cover the cost of a K-7. Considering that they're brand new right now, the cost will be about $1200 with the kit lens, not to mention the shipping which can go up to $50. We'll need 120 people to put in $10 just to be able to afford the cost of the camera.
08-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by pdxbmw Quote
I am into it. Just a side note, on another forum that I am a member, they do raffles all the time. The hard part is that if someone gets pissed, I have seen them go to paypal and demand their funds back and explain to paypal that this is not completely legal. I know in Oregon, where I live, there are pretty strick rules for raffles. Just a heads up that it can get a little complicated and cumbersome.

Patrick

I think my suggestion about having a pool of people contributing would get around that. It wouldn't be a raffle as such because eventually, every person would get one. The difficulty would be if people stopped paying in as soon as they got their camera.
08-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
First off, what we'd want to do is make sure that enough people will sign up for the raffle to make sure that there is enough to even cover the cost of a K-7. Considering that they're brand new right now, the cost will be about $1200 with the kit lens, not to mention the shipping which can go up to $50. We'll need 120 people to put in $10 just to be able to afford the cost of the camera.
Simple. You don't draw the raffle until you have enough money to cover the cost of the item (camera or lens) plus enough to cover shipping to any part of the world plus a bit for profit for the forum. Sounds like a good idea to me.

I am quite happy with my K10D...but I'll take a K-7 as a raffle prize any day!
08-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I don't think getting enough entries will be an issue--I just threw $10 out there because it's an easy number. Maybe a poll thread would let us know how much interest there is on here. Hell, Pentax should give it's best promoter a break on the price. Lord knows they could be doing of a lot more to push their own stuff. They used a simple, yet clever internet ploy to build up excitement for the camera (well, their servers went down at launch). I think this is a cheap way for Pentax to reignite that excitement while benefiting this site--and for one of us to get a great deal on the camera!!!

If anyone tried to pull a PayPal scam, I'd like to personally give that person five across the eyes. I'm sure there are ways the forum could cover its a--. But like I said in my original post, this will take be a bit of work.

On a side note, I bought two bucks worth of lotto for tonight's drawing. If I win, I'll donate a kit for a free raffle. :P
08-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think my suggestion about having a pool of people contributing would get around that. It wouldn't be a raffle as such because eventually, every person would get one. The difficulty would be if people stopped paying in as soon as they got their camera.
Maybe we sell blocks of pool entries instead of one each round. If everyone has to buy 5 or 10 at a time, it'll keep some money in there.
08-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Considering the amount of interest I'm seeing, maybe a poll would be a good start. Youguys are welcome to start one- and if you don't, I'll probably have time to make one tomorrow!
08-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ohhhhhhhhhhhh I am intrigued - Brillant idea