Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2010, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron lens reviews

It would be convenient if the Tamron lens review section was re-organized as follows:

> Build a separate sub-section for the Adaptall lenses as there can be confusion over similar nomenclature and they're essentially a separate mount category anyway.

> Order all the lenses in sequence - short to long FLs - consistent with the Pentax lenses.

> Make the ID data consistent - e.g., AD-2/SP, FL, aperture, model No.

> Cross-reference and/or re-group the Adaptall TCs and extension tube within the Adaptall lenses section as they are unique to that type.

>It would also be useful to tag/link the Adaptall-2.org reference with each Adaptall lens if feasible.

The equipment reviews are a great resource and I appreciate them more each time I use 'em.

H2

07-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All these things look feasible as far as I can see. Be advised that currently, lenses are sorted by focal length - assuming users correctly fill out the fields.

I'll see what I can do about all this over the weekend.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anything I could do to assist in rearranging the order for these lenses?

Build a proposed list for ordering the lenses for you perhaps?

Hank
08-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Hank,

I'm not going to order them once they are moved, but a list of what needs to moved will be helpful. Keep in mind that I likely won't get around to doing this until both the screwmount and auto110 reviews are done, though. There's also a temporary (I hope) technical glitch in the reviews URl rewriting system, unfortunately.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2010, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, I've attached/uploaded a Word doc file with my recommended listing for the Tamron lenses. I envisioned it as being able to segment the current list into sub-groups then drag 'n drop titles to overwrite the existing titles.

Titles are re-written to be consistent and as accurate as I could make 'em from Tamron's references.

The equipment review sections are exceptionally useful but I'm sure there's a bag full of work in maintaining 'em. It's greatly appreciated.

Is there any way PF could somehow host the Adaptall-2 pages or the direct path to it? It would be neat to see the world hitting the PF-button to use that resource for a universal lens type.

H2
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tamron for PF.doc (28.5 KB, 1392 views)
08-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for the document! I think that we'll definitely be getting a lot of hits on the adaptall lenses once we create a dedicated category.

Adam

08-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've now created the dedicated adaptall category: Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

At a later point in time, I will clean up the lens titles. The proper format should be:
Title: Tamron
Product Name: Adaptall 300mm (lens parameters)

If you could add the remaining lenses, I would be very grateful. Ole doesn't have the time to work on this right now, and you can always revise the lenses to add technical data later on.

To add a lens to the database, please follow this link: Login - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Adam

08-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

I have (so far) entered all primes.

I created an entry for the 28mm (CW-28). I do wonder, however, if that is the same lens as the 28mm found in the non-Adaptall section. Some expert advice is welcome!

Edit:
Browsing e-bay I found that the existing entry for 28mm is a Tamron-F lens, so we should be good with the new entry for the CW-28 model.

Last edited by Ole; 08-23-2010 at 03:54 PM.
08-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
An expert? Sure wish I knew where to find one.

Unfortunately, I haven't discovered a comprehensive catalog of the 'branded' fixed mount lenses like the one for the Adaptalls. I do believe many of the common F- and C-series lenses fall in that category.

If I was positive of that, I'd recommend adding it as a foot note to the listings. Perhaps some one else will know. Might not be a bad idea to add an "info wanted" note to the various lens sections soliciting that sort of info.

I do know from experience though that some of the F-series lenses were essentially duplicated, having both Adaptall and fixed mount versions as I once did a 'sex-change' operation on a OM-mount 300/5.6 using an PK adapter.

Do you think there's a role for a sticky to document this sort of universal, non-lens-specific info for all the non-Pentax lenses listings? Or maybe that would fit better as a sticky in a Club thread - but it would scatter the resources for the new viewers.

H2

Any reason the lenses can't be sorted/listed by ascending FL?
08-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Any reason the lenses can't be sorted/listed by ascending FL?
It is possible to sort by anything by hacking the database. There is unfortunately no easy way.

So that will have to wait until I get the time and courage.

I was thinking to then sort the primes as per your list - Adaptall's first by focal length, then the Adaptall-2's.
08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
There is unfortunately no easy way.
A pity - I'd just assumed it was a one-click sorting trick since the Pentax lenses were done that way. What I know about DBs you could stick in your eye and not notice it.

H2
08-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The original lens review database is sorted numerically using a hidden field, which is manually set for each lens.

The third party section is sorted numerically by the "title" field, so if someone starts off with a brand name rather than with the focal length as indicated in the lens editor, the sorting will be all screwed up.

We can override this sorting and do it manually, but I think it's hardly worth the effort. Cleaning up the fields and having comprehensive lens listings would be much more worth it.

Adam

08-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The third party section is sorted numerically by the "title" field, so if someone starts off with a brand name rather than with the focal length as indicated in the lens editor, the sorting will be all screwed up.
I almost understand that.

Coupl'a thoughts - if I'm screwed up here just tell me to stand-down.

Given that the section heading is Tamron Adaptall Lenses is there any need to include that phrase with each lens entry?

And if the first difference in the title field was numerical (in ascending order) wouldn't that auto-sequence the list?

If not true, if I re-typed the Adaptall list and prefaced the title with a simple FL numeral as a protocol would they sequence by FL?

Could I do that in something like an MS Word Table or other simple format that would allow you to easily translate the list?

If I'm / we're comprehensive with the Adaptall listings, which seems nearly complete now, there should be no reason for someone to have to build their own "incorrectly-formatted" titles in the future solving the sequencing issue for good.

H2
08-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Changing all the title fields to "tamron adaptall" from just tamorn would just take a single mysql query, but it would also require us to sit down with the titles and clean up the remainder manually. We'll get to it, but not right now.

The most helpful thing right now would be if you could just provide us with a comprehensive list of missing lenses, and lens specifications/photos of as many lenses as possible.

Adam

08-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Changing all the title fields to "tamron adaptall" from just tamorn would just take a single mysql query, but it would also require us to sit down with the titles and clean up the remainder manually. We'll get to it, but not right now.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The listings in the Adaptall Primes section read as follows, i.e.:

" Tamron Adaptall 105mm f/2.5 (CT-105)"

I was wondering if the words "Tamron Adaptall", etc, were necessary given that the user has intentionally selected into that category, and if not, would the leading FL number "105mm" automatically sequence the list. The listing then might simply be:

" 105mm f/2.5 (CT-105)" within the Adaptall Prime group.

QuoteQuote:
The most helpful thing right now would be if you could just provide us with a comprehensive list of missing lenses, and lens specifications/photos of as many lenses as possible.
I'll keep lookin' and I'll cross-check the current lists against whatever resources for spec's I can turn up. I do have some missing photo possibilities I've been meaning to send along.

Just how comprehensive do you wanna to be? I believe there's about 100+ applicable lenses counting discontinued items. (And it'd be a bitch auditing them if not sequenced by type and FL.)

I believe my earlier listing is complete according to the Adaptall-2 site catalog if the various model variations are listed by number within each basic lens listing.

What about putting a sticky pointing to this thread and to my list attachment in the 'Adaptall' and 'Tammy' club threads and soliciting input there as well.

H2