Item for Sale
Canon fd 300mm F4L manual focus lens converted to Pentax mount

Asking Price
$225

Item Location
Richmond, British Columbia (Canada)

Item Description
Background
I converted this lens to Pentax mount several years ago and used the lens with my K10D and a Pentax 1.4XL extender. At that time, I was frustrated with the selection of Pentax manual focus lenses in the 300mm plus range as my interest was in photographing eagles and song birds. I experimented with a Takumar 300mm f4 lens and a Tokina 400mm SD lens. I hated the long minimum focus distances, the CA and purple fringing, and the need to close down for sharpness. I also had no intention of paying $1000 plus to get the automatic focus lenses with ED or special glass.

The Pentax manual lenses (takumars, k's, M's, A's, even the A*'s) were expensive and had a number of shortcomings: no special glass so the CA and purple fringing were ever present; you had to close the lenses down to f8 or so to get sharpness, and the lenses did not have internal focusing so trying to grab quick focus was difficult. At that time I found the Canon FD line of professional lenses and converted several lenses for use with the Pentax mount.

You can see some of the images that I obtained from this lens and my K10d at Canon FD 300mm F4 L - manual focus - a set on Flickr. Most shots were taken wide open. I had so much success with this lens that I purchased its big brother, the 300mm f2.8. When I looked at converting the 2.8 lens to the Pentax mount I discovered the micro 4/3 cameras and moved away from Pentax bodies and the need to modify the mounts.

I have not used this lens for a year and would like to pass it to someone who will use it. I recognize that the lens has limited appeal but I also know that this lens will produce outstanding images for a long period of time.

The good news
  • This lens is sharp wide open with incredible control of CA and purple fringing (special UD glass elements)
  • The internal focus design means that you can focus using finger control (smooth and nicely damped)
  • Minimum focus is just under 3 metres
  • The glass is clear with no fungus
  • The lens focuses to just beyond infinity
  • You can control the aperture

The bad news
  • The front lens has minor marks which have no impact on image quality.
  • The aperture markings are no longer accurate. The aperture is wide open until it reaches approximately 5.6 and then the readings do not correspond to the actual opening. I wanted the lens used wide open so accepted this compromise during the conversion.
  • The previous owner of the lens scratched some letters and numbers in the sliding lens cap and on the barrel in front of the aperture ring.
  • The aperture ring is easy to open but is more difficult to close and has friction when closing.
  • I am not a machinist and modified the lens mount using hand tools. The K-mount can be removed, I designed the modification this way in case I needed to shim for infinity focus, but it is unlikely that you can return the lens to its original condition.
  • There is the usual accumulation of dust inside the lens as befitting its age

The Offering
The lens comes with a fitted tripod mount, the original canon front lens cap, the 1X drop in filter, and a generic pentax rear cap.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
$25

Shipping Services
Canada Post

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

10-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 39 (98%)
very interesting, with the mount you modified are there any issues mounting and unmounting the lens from the camera body?
10-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Whoa, that's a nice one!
I'd like to buy it just for the pleasure of typing K20 + Canon FD 300 F4 L in the shooting data

Though that sole pleasure may not be a good enough reason.
Bump for you :P Good luck with the sale.
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Original Poster
Mounts just like a pentax lens

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
very interesting, with the mount you modified are there any issues mounting and unmounting the lens from the camera body?
I had no issues whatsoever mounting and removing the lens from the K10d body. The modification uses a Pentax k mount to M42 adapter that has an integral flange. These are widely available on Ebay and while they usually ensure that you cannot reach infinity focus when used with a M42 lens, they are perfect for lens modifications.

10-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
This lens looks amazing. If I'm not dead set on an AF telephoto, I probably would've snapped it D: Someone grab this quick!
10-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Original Poster
Lens will be traded

Thank you Pentaxians for your interest in this lens. I am currently finalizing a trade deal for the lens and will keep you all updated.