Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 95 (100%)
Rare film *ist with grip and FA 28-70/4; MX with M 50/1.7

Pentax *ist with grip and Pentax-FA 28-70mm f/4 zoom lens - $89 SOLD
Pentax MX with Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 lens - $39 SOLD

Shipping $10 for one or both in US; international shipping available, please ask about your country. Happy to combine shipping costs with other stuff for sale.

I don't shoot much film any more, and have been trying to avoid being a "collector" of gear I don't use. Not that there is anything wrong with that! :-) But when it gets hard to see my desk under all the photo gear, my wife starts giving me a hard time. So, perhaps one of these nice kits can be yours!

The *ist was Pentax's last 35mm film body, and the smallest autofocus SLR ever. The rather idiotic name probably torpedoed any chance of the camera's being a commercial success, which is too bad because it is a great little body with almost every feature you could want. You can read more about it here, of course: Pentax *ist - Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews - DSLR, Digital, and Legacy Cameras My copy is in very good shape, with just a few small scratches on the back and everything working 100%. I found the vertical grip a while back, which allows the use of AA batteries and also has a second trigger release button and AE-L button. It makes the small camera a bit more substantial in the hand. Plus I have a paper manual and cheat sheet, the original strap, and even a cover for the flash socket.

The FA 28-70 lens is kind of a freebie, as it isn't in the best of condition. The front ring has a little dent, the front glass has a couple of scratches, and there is some speckling of internal elements - probably dust, could be something else? Does not look like fungus. The lens works fine, and takes nice pictures, with no difference in function from a previous copy I had without the above blemishes. In general the FA 28-70 is a good lens with a nice range, constant aperture and light weight. It works just fine on digital as well.

The MX is a bit of a beater, with a dent in the prism housing, some scrapes and brassing. I had it CLA'd in 2007, and it has worked well ever since. No sign of capping or shutter drag on my current inspection. The meter works and seems accurate. These all mechanical cameras are pretty amazing really. Along with this I include a neat Pentax strap and an M 50/1.7. The lens is in pretty good shape, with a few external signs of use and some scattered dust inside as one might expect. It takes phenomenal pictures on film or digital.

All items will arrive as described and work as described, or you get a full refund upon return. Reasonable offers will be entertained, but a full price offer takes the item. I'll cover Paypal fees, but I won't mark as a gift. Please ask any questions you might have.

Thanks for looking!
Nick

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 02-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
02-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Pm sent for *ist.
02-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
PM sent if the deal falls through.
02-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)