Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
[SOLD] Elicar V-HQ 90mm f/2.5 1:1 Macro - KA

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Elicar V-HQ 90mm f/2.5 1:1 Macro - KA

Asking Price
$225 US

Item Description
I believe this is a Komine build - same as the Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 1:1 macro (not the Series 1)

I've found to lens to function beautifully. Auto-exposure works fine, the focus is smooth and the 8 aperture blades open and close evenly.

Glass is clean with minimal dust for its age. It accepts 62mm filters.

Cosmetically it has slight paint wear on the front of the barrel, but otherwise it's in good shape. It has a sticker that maps out the areas of the mouth at different magnifications, so my hunch is it was used in some dental capacity

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition
Used
Good

Item Location
Washington, DC

Shipping Charge
$10 (US)

Shipping Services
USPS Priority

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Additional Details
Add $5 for non-PayPal confirmed US address.
Worldwide shipping at cost. Declared value will be selling price before shipping, no exceptions.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

07-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
I must bump this very interesting lens. Very interesting. I Googled a wee bit on this beast and speculation on it's lineage is all over the board. It's a re-badged "Bokina", it's a Kiron, It's a Komine... And, so on. I don't know what it is, but the sample shots I've seen prove it's pretty damn fine no matter what bloodline it sprang from!

Good Luck,
Mike
07-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #3

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
... speculation on it's lineage is all over the board. It's a re-badged "Bokina", it's a Kiron, It's a Komine...
I think raybird was correct in suggesting it's related to the Komine-made Vivitar 90mm 1:2.8 macro.

It isn't the Viv Series 1 90mm/2.5 (Bokina) -- I have the Tokina ATX edition of that, only goes to 1:2 without the adapter -- and it isn't the Viv Series 1 105mm/2.5 (Kiron-made), which I have in the Lester A. Dine (105mm/2.8) alias.

Still, it looks Very Interesting ... if I didn't already have these two great lenses, I wouldn't hesitate!
07-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Komine

I can confirm that this lens was manufactured by Komine. It has two siblings in the 55mm and 135mm focal lengths. While the branded Elicar and Vivitar versions are the most common, it was also released under the Soligor and Panagor brand names. It bares no relation to the Vivitar S1 90mm or Tokina 90mm ("Bokina") as optical formula is quite different - no fixed rear correction lens element. Elicar V-HQ Macro was marketed heavily towards the science and medical (dental) industries during the early 80's.

This is an excellent lens. I have this Elicar version along with its little brother Elicar V-HQ 55mm Macro. Both are very VERY sharp lenses. What I really love about these two is the build quality. It's a very inspiring design. Very solid and heavy. (But not an ultra heavy build like the Kiron). Nice firm rotation. 90mm does more than a 360 degree turn to reach 1:1. The lovely green multi-coating renders a cool colour cast. A little soft at f/2.5, but becomes really sharp at f/4, even at infinity. Weakness: It's an older multi-coating; which makes it a little prone to flare. This (of course) isn't much of an issue with macro work - and on the upside is usually well controlled by it's very recessed front element. There is substantial amount of light fall off in macro mode. What's surprising is how well it excels as a telephoto lens. On film this was my favorite lens and focal length. It produced my best nature images. The bokeh at macro level is really something. Has a habit of producing a busy (but not harsh) bokeh. It's more a more painterly / pastel effect - which I find quite attractive. But it can do the buttery smooth thing as well. Did I mention that it is very sharp?

For comparison - I also own the Kiron 105mm, Tokina AT-X 90mm (Bokina), Vivitar S1 90mm, Pentax-FA 100mm, and Pentax-A* 200mm Macro. While all of these will out resolve the Elicar at the macro level - time and time again I find myself choosing the Elicar. Due in large part to it's design - It's a fantastic tool to handle and work with. Highly recommended. Easily worth twice the price.

07-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
i've got parts for this lens.. if needed..
07-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
Inquiry sent
08-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
im quite new to this and trying to understand quickly.i have a minolta dynax 300si with a 70-300 sigma lens 1 thing iv noticed was wen i was taking pictures at an agricultural show the lens was great for far away pictures but not for close ups. at the weekend i was at a car boot sale and managed to pick up an elicar v-hq macro mc 90 mm f/2.5 for 2 pounds!! wen i got home i tried it on the camera but doesnt fit. i did some research and found this website and so far everything iv read seems to b positive about this lens. looks like i got a bargain! can anyone tell me if i can buy some kind of adapter so that this lens can fit my camera any information would b much appreciated.

08-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Original Poster
Sale pending...