PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
FA*300mm f4.5 Pentax with Tripod collar

Asking Price
$1000.00 USD

Shipping Destinations
North America

Item Description
This one kills me. I've had this lens for awhile and it might be the best piece of glass I've ever shot with (and I've owned the 31mm Ltd nd a bunch of other Limited lenes and FA*'s). I've certainly taken some of my best shots with it.

I'm only selling because of personal need. If things turn around, I'll buy another for sure.

I've 'upgraded' the lens with a tripod collar. It's a Canon part for the f4 70-200mm lens and is an almost exact colour match to the lens.

IMO this is the better lens to own compared to the DA*300mm which sells for $1299 new. Mine has a few cosmetic marks on the paint surface but is otherwise mechanically and optically mint.
Comes with the original box and pouch.

Why is it better than the DA*?
1) FF image circle. No vignetting and ready if FF ever comes. If it does, watch the value shoot up!
2) Aperture ring for manual adjustments
3) Screwdrive. These lenses have been around for awhile. Sorry Pentax, but the current SDM lens motors suck. They are not as powerful as the in body motors and has anyone had a body SD motor fail? Nope. This lens will still be shooting glorious pictures when your DA*300mm is collecting dust as a paperweight. For that reason alone, the F* and FA* lenses are the ones to own IMHO.

A couple of pics:

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Item Location
Canada

Shipping Charge
$20.00 To NA *

Shipping Services
canada Post Air

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 days if not as described or a significant flaw from listing details. Buyer to cover any return costs.

*Shipping WW is a case by case basis. Some countries are getting very expensive and risky from Canada. So PM me and we'll discuss.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-14-2010 at 03:56 AM.
11-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Feedback Score: 117 (100%)
Original Poster
Sale pending payment.
11-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
wow. the picture's describe everything.

sharp.

--
11-21-2009, 03:50 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Peter.

If the deal falls through, I would very well be interested in this lens.

Mats

11-22-2009, 05:20 AM   #5

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
FA* 300mm f4.5

Hi,
I have owned the FA* 300mm f4.5 for over 20 years, it is the one piece of glass I cannot part with, and the standard against which I judge all other lenses. It is the reason I stayed with Pentax after my LX became obsolete. You must hate to part with this gem!
11-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Feedback Score: 117 (100%)
Original Poster
The deal is done and I will mark the lens sold. It's going to a very good home and I have the option to buy it back if that happens someday.

It is a tough lens to sell without question but as I said, a few things going on make that necessary. It has treated me to some of my best shots and for anyone that can get one, do so. The reasons it's the best lens in the range (unless someone 'gives' you a 300mm f2.8) weren't a sales pitch. This lens delivers everything as promised.

Seems somehow fitting that the last shots by me with it were taken a few minutes ago when the Olympic torch relay came up our street (we're on the same street as the Town Hall). Kinda cool to get these shots even if it was too early on a Sunday

The hand off:
Attachment 47919
The next runner:
Attachment 47920

Last edited by Peter Zack; 04-14-2010 at 03:55 AM.