Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Subsection for non-Pentax lenses?

I've always appreciated the lens database in this site. I'd rather read reviews from people who actually own the lens than people who tried the lens for a short bit and did some measurebating on them.

Would it be possible, though, to expand the current database to include lenses made for Pentax mounts by other manufacturers? It would really help out a lot of new Pentax users such as myself in determining which lenses are good, and even which ones are hidden treasures. Thoughts?

To Mo, thanks for this wonderful community. I keep learning more each day.

06-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll second this request. In general I prefer Pentax lenses but am not adverse to aftermarket. And it'd be nice to hear how that Tamkinigma 10-400mm f1.8 zoom actually works. LOL
06-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I'll second this request. In general I prefer Pentax lenses but am not adverse to aftermarket. And it'd be nice to hear how that Tamkinigma 10-400mm f1.8 zoom actually works. LOL
Ok we have a quorum. I throw my vote in as well. Like you don't have enough to manage Mo. So there might have to be some limits otherwise it is almost unlimited with all the M42's etc out there.

Maybe a classics section (Vivitar S1 V3 70-210, Tak 85 M42 etc) for some really great lenses from the past and a D AF section for popular Digital and AF only versions for Sigma, Tamron and Tokina.

MRRiley. I have that lens!!!!. It really sucks. But it has one sweetspot at 386mm f11 where you can almost make out the image as long as you run the pic through PS sharpening at max 3 times. I think it was a re-branded Albinar. It even sucks as a paper weight standing upright because the front element sticks out past the filter ring but on it's side it does a better job since the barrel is oval and won't roll around.
I should put it in the FS section. And it comes with some rubber boots and land I have in Florida with a water view. One sweet design let me tell you....
06-20-2007, 09:36 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I'd go for this too! Since I'm a newbie at dSLRs and with Pentax, I would appreciate knowing what other lenses fit on my K100d.

06-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not like another vote is needed but I also support this cause.
06-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Inactive Account

me too

A lot of work to get this done.... photos, evaluations etc. but a very valuable addition to a stellar forum. Mo..... Many would help.. Great idea.
06-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We needn't have to have the entire collection of Pentax-compatible lenses up ASAP. I, for one, am not really in a rush to suddenly have all the lenses' pages available immediately. Maybe we could help Mo by completing the list ourselves first, so he won't have to track every single lens around if ever this idea does get approved.

Thoughts?

06-20-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

non

we could catagorize by brand...viv tok...sig.. and a misc. etc than we the members could enter the evaluations
06-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We could do like everyone else does and just ask in the lens section. For now anyways, although it would be nice

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
MRRiley. I have that lens!!!!. It really sucks. But it has one sweetspot at 386mm f11 where you can almost make out the image as long as you run the pic through PS sharpening at max 3 times. I think it was a re-branded Albinar. It even sucks as a paper weight standing upright because the front element sticks out past the filter ring but on it's side it does a better job since the barrel is oval and won't roll around.
I should put it in the FS section. And it comes with some rubber boots and land I have in Florida with a water view. One sweet design let me tell you....
Well since I just won $129,843,734 in the lottery I forgot to buy tickets for I think that I'll open the bidding at 1.3 million Canadian Pesos
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I've always appreciated the lens database in this site. I'd rather read reviews from people who actually own the lens than people who tried the lens for a short bit and did some measurebating on them.

Would it be possible, though, to expand the current database to include lenses made for Pentax mounts by other manufacturers? It would really help out a lot of new Pentax users such as myself in determining which lenses are good, and even which ones are hidden treasures. Thoughts?

To Mo, thanks for this wonderful community. I keep learning more each day.
I'm planning on making a Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina section in the future, but I need help from the community in compiling a list of lenses produced. If you'd like to contribute, please send me a PM!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #11
Forum Member

Count another vote from me. I'm particularly interested in some reviews of the Sigma tele zooms. Maybe you could just put up a third-party lens review section and just have people email or otherwise send in requests for specific lenses to be listed?
09-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Unfortunately, I can't just add individual lenses to the database without going through a lot of work. Here's why (bottom post): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/11644-non-pent...html#post93221

If you can think of any lenses right off the op of your head that you'd like to add to the above list, please do so, and I'll do my best to get the section up!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: