Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
#226 The [Not-So] Mundane - Winners
Posted By: MikeS, 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Well, here we are! This was a difficult challenge to judge. 24 entries! There were so many good (and well-varied) interpretations—points-of-view, abstracts, still-lifes, etc...

But there has to be a winner

First, the comments:

smf – Surely a mundane subject; we interact with these all of the time, yet how often do we think of them? At first, the black line running down the middle of the shot was a bit unsettling, but as I look at it more, I like how it creates a division in the image.

atupdate – This shot works for me because the subject is readily identifiable, yet the wide angle view distorts the context. The result is almost puzzling (which is what I was going for)... And it brings me back to my skateboarding days

noelcmn – No context whatsoever. That really makes you stop and think about it—"What am I seeing?" Almost abstract, rather than the mundane levers we might see all over the place.

Jools – Excellent interpretation. As an abstract, the color and the use of light really work for me. And if you look long and hard, you may figure out what it is—which was the point: seeing something ordinary in a completely different way. Nice job.

mecrox – Another ordinary shot, with something different. The building itself doesn't offer much, but seeing the shadow there throws off the normalcy. Good eye.

Tamia – Great subject, and I love the shallow focus. The bokeh in this shot is what helps to confuse the viewer, and it adds interest (when I first saw it, it took a moment to figure out what it was). I like the framing as well. Good job.

Arjay Bee – Great abstract. Almost nothing but midtones. But the texture adds just enough variance to keep you guessing. Also, the shallow DoF really works for this. Nice.

dmeadows85 – Interesting composition. The subject definitely seems out of place, while everything else about the photo seems normal. The out-of-context component of this shot really makes you think. Good eye.

NaClH20 – Beautiful scene. I like the image itself, and the rainbow adds a whole new dimension. Certainly something you don't see every day. Talk about lens flare!

charliezap – Mundane, indeed ; Therefore, the reflections add a lot to the image. I also like the spark of color amidst the otherwise neutral environment.

Mike L – Very cool! This, to me, seems like something no one would think to look at—without photography in mind. I love the color variance, the contrast, and the diagonal motion. A boring mud puddle becomes a cool abstract.

SpecialK – A nice snapshot of everyday life. The repetitions in this image add a lot. The subject being so close to center in a portrait orientation is a bit unsettling. I'm curious what a close landscape crop would do for the image? Well seen.

sealonsf – Love the pastel coloring, and the minimalism really works for this image. Nice composition. It actually reminds me of a photo of stairs that I took a few years back at the beach

casil403 – I really like this! Great eye for this (that's the kind of thing I was going for). And the fact that they're not all perfectly concentric makes the photo so much more interesting. Good job finding that point-of-view. Seeing things this way opens up opportunities for great photographs. Well seen!

tessfully – I see a non-representational pastel drawing of a forest. Very neat! And it makes me curious about the context of the photo. From this, I have no idea what this chipboard looks like, which is great. Takes you out of the mundane and gives you a beautiful abstract. Good job.

Bill2849 – Very interesting. It doesn't look at all like the subject you describe (that's the point). The bright spots of blue against the drab green are interesting. I like the abstract, and that eye is a bit startling (in a good way). It adds another element to this not-so-mundane photo. Nice.

Bramela – Very bizarre. I'm not sure what I'm looking at. There is enough here to make sense of it, but it's definitely fresh. What a point-of-view! Reflection, huh? Well seen!

ramseybuckeye – It's your non-traditional still-life. Not used to looking at cookware like this. And cropping out the handle while seeing the reflection of it makes it look interesting.

jmschrei – I agree! Wide angle always adds an intriguing element because most of the time, we don't see wide-angle shots. Love the b/w. Makes the hardware on the fence really pop! Good example of sprucing up the mundane!

Jessesdad – Tubes, I'm assuming? Very nice interpretation! Choice of focus was very nice, as well. And you got to enjoy your subject

Arn – Not the most beautiful subject , yet there seems to be many ways to interpret it. Nice job looking out of the ordinary (or, looking at the ordinary?).

RollsUp – Great color and geometrics! That's a tough one to figure out, but the final image is really cool! Nice job.

Cooter – The shallow focus is great, and what an imaginative shot ! I really like the level of contrast and the color—really pops! Great example of looking at everyday objects in a different way.

chilechica – I agree. I like the lines—so much going on, but it's all organized. Shallow DoF really helps isolate this shot and give it character. And the point of view is non-typical (from looking at the image, at least). Nice job.

And the winners:

Honorable mentions to Tamia, Arjay Bee, and tessfully

3rd Place: Jools - This one stuck in my mind at the beginning--a very cool take on the theme!

2nd Place: casil403 - I really liked this. So well seen, and a great idea!

1st Place: Mike L - I just kept coming back to this. To me, it's the most boring thing in itself, but the way you captured it made it look so interesting and different. Well seen!

Good job, everyone!

Mike L, I pass it to you!
Views: 1,459
12-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats Mike, Lisa, and Jools! Well done Mike, nice job going through all of those entries!
12-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
MikeS-
Thanks for the challenge and for the awesome commentary and judging.
Congratulations especially to MikeL, Lisa and Jools but also to the honorable mentions and to the many other thoughtful and striking entries.
12-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, thanks Mike. I have to say I thought Jools and Lisa's images were pretty strong contenders as well as plenty of others so it is a real surprise to be picked out of some really great images

Great effort on the judging MikeS, it's no small feat to offer feedback on so many images.

I'll be back later in the day with the next theme.

12-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Mike L, lovely image and well deserving.
Likewise, to Lisa and the honorable mentions. Beautiful images.
Many thanks to MikeS for the nod for third, and for commenting and judging. Fine job.
Really glad you chose this subject as a theme since it is close to one of my favorite daily subjects. Now I can explain to baffled family members there are others like me who look at ordinary things.
Kudos to all who participated; very interesting interpretations. Enjoy the holidays and stay safe y'all.
12-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very appealing photo, Mike L, and congratulations for top spot. Congrats to Lisa, Jools, RJ and Tess, and thanks MikeS or the fun subject and your comments on everyone's work. A very enjoyable topic.
12-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MikeS, thanks for the comments and judging - a lot of work with all those entries!
Congratulations, Mike L, Lisa, and Jools - great images that all put a twist on what we see.

12-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations to all. Thanks, MikeS., for your comments and the judging.
12-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Congrats Mike! I too kept going back to your dried puddle photo. Cool capture And congrats to Lisa and Jools, awesome images, and to Arjay and Tamia for your HMs. Thanks MikeS for a great topic I enjoyed very much. This is exactly why I love photography... it takes what the mundane and ordinary and helps us to see in exciting and extraordinary ways
12-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the HM's, Jools Lisa and Mike L. A special thank you to Mike S for the great topic and the great judging.

NaCl(an interesting topic and one that stretched me a bit)H2O