Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
POTW #26 From Aug 31st to Sept 14th
Posted By: Peter Zack, 09-08-2008, 05:29 AM

Welcome to POTW # 26

This week's photos will cover these dates: Sunday August 31st till September 14th. It's about time I hosted one since I haven't since the first ones.

Let's keep up the high standard of shots we have seen over the past weeks.

Rules as before:

1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days. Sunday September 7st to September 14th.
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295, 17 dantuyhoa, 18 daacon, 19 maxwell1295, 20 Bamela, 21 Syb, 22 & 23 maxwell1295, 24 dantuyhoa 25. Gawan

So to get things kicked off.
Here's a GBH taken on Saturday with the 1000mm Meade.
Name:  IMGP6562 border.jpg small.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  55.1 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-08-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Views: 14,767
09-08-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice GBH there Peter - between you and Borno you could have a Heron shoot off.

Here are a few from a few days ago. It was getting late and I had been on the computer all day and went out to shoot to relax a bit. Most of the birds have left off to warmer pastures - I walked around one of the local wetlands and saw nothing. Then as I was getting back into the car I saw these and snapped a few.

09-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice GBH there Peter - between you and Borno you could have a Heron shoot off.
I don't have a license

I was looking at that first shot and wondering what the heck it was. First glance I thought you had broken out the old 45's. (Dave and I are old enough to know what that is). Interesting subject in the first one and the sky looks ominous in the second version. After the flooding here yesterday, the air is much cooler. The birds will be gone from here soon as well.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 09-08-2008 at 07:19 AM.
09-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
<Snip>
I was looking at that first shot and wondering what the heck it was. First glance I though you had broken out the old 45's. (Dave and I are old enough to know what that is). <snip>.
You calling me old!!! I am not old until January haha. As a teenager I had a couple of 45's with the Beatles on Capital label before they formed Apple - another memorabilia fortune lost (along with Bobby Orr and Guy Lafleur rookie hockey cards making cool noises flicking against the spokes of my bike )

09-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Peter for starting the new POTW, Nice Heron you have there, I love the green water.

Dave, I love the colour contrast in your photos!

I have lost a few 45's (and quite many LP's for that matter) during the years too. Don't really miss them though, except the memories they bring to my mind now that you mentioned this...

This is from the "Iron Age Market" event we had last Saturday:

Last edited by gawan; 09-08-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo
09-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Howdy , folks

Peter - Great heron image . I do love the contrast , too . We have quite a few great birders in this POTW circle .

Dave - Very interesting series . I was wondering about them too at the first glance . I thought you went after some UFO . The first one is really cool . The geometry is just kicking azz !

Georg - Great shot . Very nice though I wonder did they have such colors in Iron Age ? Just my curious mind pondering again .

Another UFO - Unidentified Female Object .

This is done at the model's request . I did add a different touch to it . I have been trying to shoot in the M mode for a short while . It's indeed slowing thing down but the results are not bad , I think .

Tran
09-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #7

Peter -- Great heron image indeed. I have all but given up on them in my area. They just spook way too easily here.

Dave -- Nice lamp post shots. I never would have thought of something like that.

Georg -- Love the contrast in the Iron Age shot. It's something that I have been working on improving myself.

Tran -- I love how the red on your UFO stands out against the blue sky.

So here are a couple of shots from my yesterday(Click for larger):

09-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow, nice shot, Peter. You seem to be in the wild these days. The spring is coming over this end of world. I will do some wild life shots too

Here was the one from my recent trip to Marrysville with Voe.

09-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Howdy , folks
Georg - Great shot . Very nice though I wonder did they have such colors in Iron Age ? Just my curious mind pondering again .

Another UFO - Unidentified Female Object .

Tran
Thanks Tran, I actually wondered that too and other similar questions, they said the did not seek exact authenticity but wanted to feel the old life style by living it as far as they could (for a short while at a time, though)

But your model! Nice shot!
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Georg thanks for the comments - I like your Iron Age shot. The colors do stand out. the costumes look authentic as well.

Tran - Thanks for the comments , you have a nice contrast between all the colors - Skin Tones, Garmet, Hair, Sky ... well done.

BFielding - thanks for the comments ,great shots of the fawn wow - was that with the DA 55-300 ? Nice shots indeed ...

James - nice water shots - I am jelous of the scenery as well as the fact that summer is comming your way !! Great shots.
09-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

beautiful shots so far,
I have to put a couple of birds on

check out the claws on this dude!

dawn this am
09-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Great shots Tom - the herons are superb as usual but I love that last shot. Well done.

Click on image for larger view

I went for a walk in the woods ... pretty thick woods I might add

Our local Riverboat

This is actually a reflection in the water can you see the jet ?

09-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wonderful shots everyone, thanks for sharing! Though I must say, Tom - that last floral silhouette against the setting sun is simply captivating!

Few of my personal favorites from last week, Sears 135mm f2.8 withe extension tubes:

Regards,
D
09-08-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Geez Borno, Will you cut it out with the great heron shots. I just can't keep up
But I really like the dawn shot. IMHO if you want to make it great, clone out that soft bit in the background and you have an excellent shot.
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Peter,
I'm lucky I found a great spot with a pond,a creek and the river all together and easy to get to so I check it out about every day to see what's about. Yeah I think I will do some cloning on that one

Duh_Vinci,
That third shot is really great,I really like the glow you got from the light in it