Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Just introducing myself, I hope you all find me a welcome member.

Hi,

I have been a Pentax person for nearly 30 years. I guess you all call that a Pentaxian.

My love for Pentax cameras started with a Christmas present from my father of a k1000 series camera. I can remember my mother and father arguing about this present and its expense in detail.

About a year before my k1000 my parents bought me a 110 instamatic camera. After several rolls of film my dad decided it was quite important to blow the Christmas budget and buy me a SLR which they could ill afford.

He spent hours teaching all the stops, all of the range, and I fought him every inch of the way. I wanted to do it my way. My dad won the battle and I gained the learned experience. I did not know it at the time but he was learning the camera with me as we shot. It was an investment in the love of photography and the love of his child with quality time well spent with each other.

As time passed on they sent me to college and I graduated. Having spent my every last penny on camera equipment and lens's that I could ill afford (the apple does not fall far from the tree).

Before I married I bought an SF-1 and I was in heaven. About two years after I married I bought an SF-10 and way too much glass than we could afford. Biggest financial argument my husband and I have ever had. But it was worth it.

When the i-st D came out my hubby bought it for a Christmas present figuring we would save on film cost. I made him return it because there was no way in hell at that point in time I was ever going to give up film. (Stubborn red head Scot that I am)

The second largest argument my husband and I ever had was within the last year. On the front seat of my car was a wonderfully wrapped package, the small card contained a note.

“Honey I love you very much, but we can no longer afford film and processing, when it can be done with the same quality and digitally with extreme less expense.”

In the package was my first DSLR a K10-D, he broke me from film.

A valiant effort and he won.

I hope you welcome me to the forum,

I am glad to have found a real "Pentax" forum.

Sincerely,

Wendy Bradley

Last edited by WendyB; 11-26-2007 at 11:16 PM.
11-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome - great stories and you'll certainly form more memories associated iwth the new camera. Let's see some pics, and I'm sure everyone is wondering about your lens collection, so do share .
11-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Welcome - great stories and you'll certainly form more memories associated iwth the new camera. Let's see some pics, and I'm sure everyone is wondering about your lens collection, so do share .
If there is a particular lens that I have that you or anyone would like to see, I can certainly post the shots.

Just ask, If I have not shot it with the lens I certainly can.

Starting up a P-base account in the short and near future.

Sincerely,

Wendy
11-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard to a great and growing Forum, Wendy. I have no doubt you will be an asset here.

Nice story about mom and dad - aren't parents great. Unfortunately, many realise this too late.

11-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #5

Welcome, and loved the intro!
11-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard Wendy. I think you'll find many people here who share a similar love of equipment and the joys of shooting.

You are lucky that you have such a wonderful and understanding spouse. My wife indulges my photography spending because she knows at least I'm not putting the money into golf, atvs, coins, guitars, little british cars, a bmw motorcycle, or stereo equipment...
11-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
...My wife indulges my photography spending because she knows at least I'm not putting the money into golf, atvs, coins, guitars, little british cars, a bmw motorcycle, or stereo equipment...
Shit.

I golf, own some coins, a couple guitars, a BMW motorcycle, and a decent stereo. Did I just fall into some ultra-predictable stereotype??!

11-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Shit.

I golf, own some coins, a couple guitars, a BMW motorcycle, and a decent stereo. Did I just fall into some ultra-predictable stereotype??!
Just fall???? Sean, the sad truth is that you're confessing to all of us...

Wendy, please allow Sean some time to commiserate - he will get better once his acceptance of his sad situation begins... Joking aside, I sincerely look forward to your posts, and wish you a warm welcome!

Cheers,
Marc
11-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome what a great story. Ca't wait to see some pictures. You will love it here.
11-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Shit.

What, no little british car???? The coins I inherited from my father and I can't figure out an easy way to get rid of 50 pounds of silver. The only guitar I own is an ugly strat knockoff and I can't play a lick. Golfing is just hiking over even terrain with a cute girl who brings me beer every 45 minutes. The BMW doesn't exist yet, but I dream. It may morph into a 330 twin turbo but my MGB may not let it into the garage. The stereo is a remnant of my college days.

Photography is the only hobby that truly eats a hole in my pocket these days. Did I mention I've won 7 eBay auctions from Amvona in the past 4 days. Stupid Strobist site...
11-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome and its ok I do have a dry sense of humor.

Off to resize my avatar and open a p-base account.

Cheers,

Wendy

Last edited by WendyB; 11-27-2007 at 09:25 PM. Reason: add info
09-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Hi,

I have been a Pentax person for nearly 30 years. I guess you all call that a Pentaxian.

My love for Pentax cameras started with a Christmas present from my father of a k1000 series camera. I can remember my mother and father arguing about this present and its expense in detail.

About a year before my k1000 my parents bought me a 110 instamatic camera. After several rolls of film my dad decided it was quite important to blow the Christmas budget and buy me a SLR which they could ill afford.

He spent hours teaching all the stops, all of the range, and I fought him every inch of the way. I wanted to do it my way. My dad won the battle and I gained the learned experience. I did not know it at the time but he was learning the camera with me as we shot. It was an investment in the love of photography and the love of his child with quality time well spent with each other.

As time passed on they sent me to college and I graduated. Having spent my every last penny on camera equipment and lens's that I could ill afford (the apple does not fall far from the tree).

Before I married I bought an SF-1 and I was in heaven. About two years after I married I bought an SF-10 and way too much glass than we could afford. Biggest financial argument my husband and I have ever had. But it was worth it.

When the i-st D came out my hubby bought it for a Christmas present figuring we would save on film cost. I made him return it because there was no way in hell at that point in time I was ever going to give up film. (Stubborn red head Scot that I am)

The second largest argument my husband and I ever had was within the last year. On the front seat of my car was a wonderfully wrapped package, the small card contained a note.

“Honey I love you very much, but we can no longer afford film and processing, when it can be done with the same quality and digitally with extreme less expense.”

In the package was my first DSLR a K10-D, he broke me from film.

A valiant effort and he won.

I hope you welcome me to the forum,

I am glad to have found a real "Pentax" forum.

Sincerely,

Wendy Bradley
Sequestered for posterity.