Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #1

Hi from Essex, UK

Hi there.

The forum wants me to introduce myself, so here goes...

So, I have for many years shied away from Photography as a hobby as my estranged father had been a professional and my ethos in life was to be as little like him as possible. However my daughter needing to learn some photography skills for College and finding out the 'ol man had died led me to thinking maybe now was the time to get my hands on a DSLR.

Anyway I sold up some kit from my other hobby (Airsoft) to fund a camera. I had decided upon a K-7 but advice from friends ended up with me buying a second hand Canon 600D, turned out it needed a £150 repair so it went back to the seller and I ended up spending more than planned (about typical for me) on a lovely K-5 with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and Metz AF50 Flash.

I'd really appreciate feedback on the photos I post to my "learning" album please. I know straight away that using PP filters such as HDR in photoshop may not be popular but it's part of the learning, software as well as hardware.

Come Christmas I'll be adding a DA70-300 (again second owner) and a tripod.

I've also made a hashed up lightbox with a cardboard box, ikea tray and my wifes daylight lamp for photographing her teddy bears. not as light as a real deal but pics seem nice on ISO800.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Pete A

11-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Methos Quote
Hi there.

The forum wants me to introduce myself, so here goes...

So, I have for many years shied away from Photography as a hobby as my estranged father had been a professional and my ethos in life was to be as little like him as possible. However my daughter needing to learn some photography skills for College and finding out the 'ol man had died led me to thinking maybe now was the time to get my hands on a DSLR.

Anyway I sold up some kit from my other hobby (Airsoft) to fund a camera. I had decided upon a K-7 but advice from friends ended up with me buying a second hand Canon 600D, turned out it needed a £150 repair so it went back to the seller and I ended up spending more than planned (about typical for me) on a lovely K-5 with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and Metz AF50 Flash.

I'd really appreciate feedback on the photos I post to my "learning" album please. I know straight away that using PP filters such as HDR in photoshop may not be popular but it's part of the learning, software as well as hardware.

Come Christmas I'll be adding a DA70-300 (again second owner) and a tripod.

I've also made a hashed up lightbox with a cardboard box, ikea tray and my wifes daylight lamp for photographing her teddy bears. not as light as a real deal but pics seem nice on ISO800.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Pete A
Welcome aboard, Pete!

You'll soon realize how good of a decision getting the K-5 over the K-7 was For an APS-C camera, its image quality remains virtually unrivaled.

If you'd like feedback on your photos, please embed the photos in the photographic technique forum or the photo critique forum (linking to the album won't get you as many views):
Photo Critique - PentaxForums.com
Photographic Technique - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums Pete