Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi from Wyoming

Hello everyone. I just joined this morning after reading about this site on another site. I'm off to read some of the posts. It looks like a fantastic site! Let me add a little more to this. I've been into photography since the 70's. I also own a couple of Minolta 35mm SLR's and lenses but, since they don't make cameras anymore, I had to look to someone else. I started researching digital SLR's and decided to go with Pentax.

I now own a K100D. I used an Olympus P&S over the last four years but, it just wasn't enough. I want more control over what I'm shooting especially coming from film cameras. I decided on the K100D after looking at the competition. A friend also recently gave me all of his 35mm Pentax equipment! Anyway, I plan to get more serious about photography now. I'm an artist and have always used photography to collect material and ideas for drawing and painting. Since I do a lot of portrait work, I will need to get a lens for that. Right now I just have the kit lens and the 50mm f/1.7 lens that came with the 35mm.

I look forward to reading and seeing some more of the great photography that I have already seen on this site.

Gary

Last edited by Gary; 01-21-2007 at 10:14 AM.
01-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! My mother-in-law lives in Casper, and we visited Cheyenne a couple of years back. I really liked it. I want to go out to Yellowstone on a photo trip some day.

I think you'll enjoy the K100D. I have one and really enjoy it. I don't have much film heritage, but have used a variety of digital cameras since 1998. I joined the dSLR ranks last summer and have really learned a lot, and have had the most fun.

This is a great forum here. The others are nice too, but the "big one" can get a little overwhelmed sometimes. People fretting over the littlest things, and posts last about 30 minutes on the main page before they get scrolled to the next page (and oblivion). Despite that, I still visit 3 different fora and get something different from each one.
01-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi there Gary! Welcome!

The K100 is a great camera. You got very lucky with the film equipment!

I don't know if you know already - a lot of the 50mm prime lenses are sought after by a lot of users. Your f1.7 (if it is the one that I'm thinking of) is a surprisingly nice lens reviewed well by users on this forum. The lens (as well as all Pentax K-Mount lenses!) can bolt onto your K100D.

I'm tooling with a 55mm F2.0 and a third party, K-Mount 135mm F2.8 macro. Both came off a K1000 film body. Here's how I got the lenses working with my camera.

Go to manual mode.
In the menu, go to Custom Setting and check mark the box for Setting.
Go to Using Aperture Ring
Select Permited

Now go back into the menu and under Rec Mode look for AE Metering
You have two options here - centre-weighted or spot. Choose your preference. (I use centre weighted in most cases).

Now turn off your camera and bolt on the 50mm. When you turn on the camera, the SR feature may ask for the focal length of your lens, use the left or right arrows to match your lens and push ok.

You should be all set to go now. Make sure you are in M mode and you can select the shutter speed (Tv) by using the thumbwheel. Aperture and focus are controlled by the rings on your lenses.

Have fun!

Last edited by Alvin; 01-21-2007 at 02:07 PM.
01-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Gary. I also have the K100D and love it. Looking foward to seeing some pictures of Wyoming, a state I've always wanted to visit!!!

01-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! It's great to meet you!

Gary
01-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Russ! It's been a while since I've been up to Casper. I've never been to Yellowstone myself but, from what I've been told, it's like a whole different world. There are other scenic parts to Wyoming too.

Gary
01-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Alvin,

I plan to use the 50mm lens. I also have a 210mm zoom which came with the 35mm but, it doesn't fit the K100D even though it fits the 35mm. It's made by a company called Access and was bought by my friend in the 80's. It's made in Japan and I have the manual for it but, I can't find any other info on it. Some say that you can file or cut the flange on the lens so that it will fit but, when it comes to optics, I don't think I will be doing that. I'll just use it with the ME Super.

Gary

01-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Carol. I really like the K100D. It was between that and the K10D. The K100D had all the features that I wanted and in my case less is more. I don't need all the bells and whistles since I'm shooting mainly in raw and in manuel mode. I'll be posting some pictures of Wyoming and Colorado... as soon as the snow melts!

Gary