Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another pesky Australian.

Hi all, I just joined the forum today after seeing someone mention it on the DPResource.com forum. I am very please to find such a place.

As for me, I'm a 23 year old Architectural Draftsman in Tasmania, Australia. I've held a keen interest in photography since I did a b&w course at school in 1999. That year I bought my first Pentax, an MZ-50 with Sigma 28-80, then I bought a Sigma DL 100-300mm f4.5-6.7 about 18 months later.

Early last year I moved from a cheap 3.2MP Kyocera p&s digital to an *istDL. This was mainly because I liked the thought of using my 100-300 and didn't have the funds to buy long lens. The DL served me fairly well, with a few problems over the next 12 months. I snapped well over 10,000 photos in that time, mostly motorsport.

After having further issues that weren't getting resolved I visited a large photography expo (concentrating on gear, not photographs) and tried some other brands. After telling the Pentax people I was thinking of moving because of ongoing issues they kindly offered to look after me to keep me with Pentax.

The result is a K10D with grip. I'm using the Sigma SIGMA DC 18-125mm f3.5-5.6 as my walkaround/wide lens. I love this lens, so practicle, always sharp, no vignetting to my eyes, just really good.

As part of my upgrade I bought a Sigma DG 70-200 f2.8 and 1.4x teleconverter. The Pentax dealer suggested a Sigma 50-500 f4-6.3 for my purposes, but after talking to my trusted camera guru at my local store I went with the 70-200. He had used the 50-500 on his Nikon and owns a 70-200 Nikor and he said the Nikor with TC was far far superior. Also, given what I shoot the f2.8 will take full advantage of the K10Ds quick focussing.

The only other gear in my bag is a Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash, some UV and polarizing filters and my sexy orange vest with my web site embroidered on the back.

I look forward to finding answers to some of my many questions, as well as hopefully being able to help others out along the way.

Cheers,

Adam - AGSPhotos.com