Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses
Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Review RSS Feed

6.6
 7.6
11 49,402 Mon May 28, 2018

Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5

The Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 is a manual focus zoom lens without SMC coating. Note that there is also a more expensive super multi coated version with more elaborate optics.

KA

27057 and 27527
No SMC coating
Manual FocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-11 of 11

Registered: August, 2015
Location: Yorkshire
Lens Review Date: May 28, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Cheap. Decent quality.
Cons: A bit heavy, but nothing else really.
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-70    Focusing: 7

Bought off eBay for little money. Good image quality at f8. Nice close focus feature.

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Hampshire
Lens Review Date: July 3, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Cheap
Cons: There are much better 28-80 zooms
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-5

This almost squeezed into the 8 as a mark on the basis that it is cheap, it seems quite robust, has a close focussing ability at 80mm and around F8 it is not too bad. Close focussing just a click away, easy to use.
I would not recommend spending more than $10 to get one but if you need a zoom it will do a job. At 80mm and F8 I think it will be as good if not better than the kit 18-55mm lens with a cropped 55mm image. I do not have the -F SMC 28-80mm which would be a better lens to buy as they can be found cheaply too.
I cannot not recommend this lens, it does do a job and if nothing else may help you to evaluate your other lenses IQ.

Registered: September, 2014
Location: Nelson
Lens Review Date: November 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $5.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price,build
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01, K-X

Purchased for cost of shipping on a P-30 body with a bag and Sunpak flash. Looked to be fungused but cleaning revealed remarkeably good glass with only a mark on front element (not visible) remaining.
Although not an SMC version the coating it does have does the job; sharp and clear with bonus of the 'A' aperture setting. Nice weight and build, macro is capable if not stunning.

Location: Dallas, TX
Lens Review Date: April 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: very cheap, if used right it delivers solid results
Cons: It is very finicky
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5

I read the reviews on this one prior to purchasing this lens. However, I wanted a manual focus, walk-around zoom lens with macro capability that I wouldn't cry over if I lost or destroyed it. For $20, I figured I could live with the problems reported with this lens.

I've had it out once to a local arboretum. I was using this lens and the Tak 55mm 1.4 on extension tubes. This lens out performed the Tak 55 that day. Both were used in bright sun to shade, ISO 100, the appropriate shutter speed, and a variety of apertures. The camera (for this lens) was set to 85mm for shake reduction and I prefer to take pictures about one stop dark. I probably took about 300 pictures between the two lenses. Of the 20ish remaining, they all came from this zoom.

The colors are vibrant. The bokeh is meh....nothing great but not horrible. There was some fringing in a few shots - which to me verifies the (lack of) lens coating another poster mentioned. It delivered sharper pictures than my 55-300 and kit lens, but certainly wasn't the same level as my 60-250.

I did not feel the play others mentioned in the lens barrel. It does click into macro mode and that took me a bit to get used to. But, the focus rotation on the lens was similar to the manual 135s and longer lenses that I own. Perhaps I was lucky and found a good copy of this lens. I don't know. What I do know is it will be traveling with me to destinations far and near!

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Naples
Lens Review Date: November 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 6

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 6    Value: 7

economic but non so bad zoom... I'll never buy it not even for 10 dollars.

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Temuco, Chile
Lens Review Date: September 30, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: price, zoom range, bokeh
Cons: build quality, heavy

The good: overall a decent lens, good contrast. Being a non-smc lens, i use the hood of the K135mm i own on it, but shades the corners at 28mm. The 8 blades gives a very pleasant bokeh.

The bad: both the focus and zoom rings are very loose, and when the focus ring reaches a limit, it sound like when you walk on a piece of glass laying on concrete. The minimum focusing distance of 1 m. isn't very good for indoors, and the focus ring travel is very short for a manual focus lens, around 90

The ?: on a K200 it gives me a constant aperture of f/4 ...?

The conclusion: it CAN make pictures and, if you know what you're doing, it can make very good ones. I think the best meaning for this lens is "patience".

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Lens Review Date: August 16, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Macro focusing, nice color rendition
Cons:

I have the Pentax-A (non SMC).

My overall impression of this lens is that it's OK. It's not amazing glass, but it's not bad either.

On our modern bodies, the lens reports at 3.5 all the time, even though it's 3.5:4.5. It's macro focusing abilities are a nice touch. It's color rendition is nice. It's focusing is smooth, if not dampened like the A50/1.2 or the A* lenses.

Overall, not a bad option for some macro shooting for a very inexpensive price.

Registered: January, 2009
Location: University of Waterloo, ON
Lens Review Date: July 17, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $26.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: great IQ for the price, A contact, inexpensive, very contrasty, rich colours, quite sharp at F8, beautiful bokeh
Cons: rotating front element, "loose" focusing, sensitive to harsh lighting conditions, slightly soft wide open

I bought this for pseudo-macro work and use it as such, thus my review shall be mostly based on this lens' merits in its macro mode. Furthermore, I use this lens on digital, which means I'm getting extra reach and DoF, and am less prone to falloff and edge softness.

Being a zoom, it is inevitable that, wide open, some softness will be noticeable. That said, images taken wide open are still quite usable. By F8, it's actually quite sharp. The following was taken at only F5.6, wherein various filamentary components of the flower are quite distinguishable.

On the K200D, I find metering is generally quite accurate. Colours are quite vibrant straight out of camera. Contrast is quite marked as well, rendering images with a strong feeling of depth and life. The only exception is when there is a strong light source shining across the front element at an oblique angle, but this is easily solved with a lens hood (though finding an adequate one may be a trick).

My main gripes with this lens are mostly related to build quality. I find the focusing ring to be far too loose - there's almost no resistance to movement. Furthermore, the front element rotates, making polarizers tricky to use, and rectangular hoods out of the question.

Overall, I'd recommend this lens as an inexpensive "starter" macro. Its optical qualities seem to outweigh its shortcomings in build quality.

Registered: March, 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Lens Review Date: June 10, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Cute, nice A series finish, even performances
Cons: Minimum size not at zoom extreme

As commented above, the picture does not show the SMC-A, but the Pentax-A (which is the lens I own).

It is a really nice lens, well made like all A lenses (this is the first A zoom I ever used). It feels rugged, reliable, but less so than SMC-A primes (more moving parts). Aperture ring works very well but I never use it... The lens is at its minimum length at an intermediate zoom position, a bit surprinsing at first. The "macro" mode (more accurately "close focusing mode" ) is reached by zooming at 70 mm and turning the zoom ring further, and it has a positive feel to it.

IQ seems good, though not as great as my best lenses (primes, most of them). What impresses me is that I do not see a drop in IQ as I open the aperture, performances in general seem very even at all apertures. Pixel peepers would probably differ in opinion, but in real life that's my experience.

Metering with the K20D is very accurate, at all apertures. The focusing ring is decently damped, but not quite as nicely as on an M lens. Much better than modern AF lenses of course.

The copy I own still looks new, which is a testament to the previous owner as well as to Pentax manufacturing. Despite the lens not being labeled SMC I have not observed significant flare or haze issues. But then the same can be said about my Takumar Bayonets... Sometimes I think we put too much faith on the SMC label. This lens IS coated, by the way.

A nice lens to own, it doesn't see much action because my Sigma 17-70 is my usual walkaround lens.

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Denmark
Lens Review Date: February 7, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

I have this lens, and it is OK, but may exhibit flare (owing to the lack of SMC coating and 8 elements in 8 groups).

There is a smc PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:3.5-4.5 28-80mm, which is supposed to be much better.

Registered: August, 2007
Location: Bournemouth, England
Lens Review Date: September 21, 2007 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: decent colours/ contrast
Cons: Poor IQ, poor build quality

I have had this lens for several years having purchased it on ebay. Never liked the quality of the end result, images always looked far too soft and indistinct. Despite not much use the lens seems to have become very loose over the time I've had it, not something expected of an old Pentax lens.

In most conditions colour and contrast are ok but CA is apparent as soon as any well lit highlights appear. When I purchased my K100D I took some images and compared them closely with my other lenses and it only confirmed what I already knew. This was the budget range from Pentax and it shows in the images produced. If anyone wants it let me know. It's just taking up space, and it will only cost you postage.
Add Review of Pentax-A 28-80mm F3.5-4.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!