Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses
Pentax-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5 Review RSS Feed

7.5
 7.5
 6.0
 7.0
7 27,466 Thu November 20, 2014
Pentax-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5

This is an autofocus zoom lens with the same optics as the PENTAX-A 28-80mm. Neither lens has SMC coating. The optical formula is much simplified as compared to the SMC coated version.

F3.5-4.5

65.5 x 93 mm
1988 to 1994
PENTAX-F ZOOM 1:3.5-4.5 28-80mm
No SMC coating
Screwdrive AutofocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of Pentax-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-7 of 7

Registered: July, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 20, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: k-5

I bougt takuma F 28-80 non smc but i abrupt it take to me.
it's verry Sharpness but too heavy

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, useful focal range
Cons: maximal aperture, plastic cover
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

Since I bought this lens, it has stayed for 9 months in the closet. I got it from an old lady who was telling me that she got nice pictures with it in her old days. I have read the reviews and I thought buying this non-smc was a mistake and I should forget about it.

Few days ago, I took it to make few shots with it and sell it. Surprised, I am going to keep it instead.

I found it was very very sharp in the center, and very good in the corners.

The focal range is very useful from the FF equivalent of 43mm (normal lens) to 120mm. The only "problems" which differentiate it from primes are the maximal aperture and the lousy toy plastic used for covering it. The inner barrel is solid metal.

For its price, I recommend trying it without any hesitation. There might be a strong variation in quality as usual with kit lenses. There is also some unfortunate prejudice against old and cheap lenses.

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Brno
Lens Review Date: December 15, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: cheap, fast focusing
Cons: long minimum focus distance, weak image quality, strange bokeh
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 4    Handling: 7    Value: 8    Camera Used: K20D, K5

I bought this lens few years ago with damaged SF-7 camera for very low price. I used it few times on film camera and more on K20D and later K5. It focuses extremely fast as the focusing screw is very steep. Its even faster than FA*24/2, which already is quick. It does zero to infinity and back under one second on K20D/K5!

Resolution wide open is weak, central part is usable at F5.6, but borders are soft. Better image can be taken at F8-F11. Lens has low contrast.

At normal 28-80 range it needs 1 meter ( !! ) distance to be able to focus, which makes it quite difficult to use. Macro setting at 80mm is interesting and enables you to come closer at about 30cm (at 80mm only), but lens needs to be stopped to about F11 to get usable image at this setting.

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick
Lens Review Date: April 19, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, Sharp When Stopped Down, AF, Slightly faster than kit lenses.
Cons: No SMC, Funky(But not hard to use) MF Ring
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

Nice lens, takes sharp images when stopped down to 5.6 or smaller - Somewhat decent macro shots. Interesting Bokeh.

Registered: December, 2011
Lens Review Date: December 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: nice zoom range
Cons: poor color and contrast, fuzzy images (not at all sharp), slow, difficult to focus, cheap build, clunky
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 2    Handling: 2

If given the choice between a nice point-and-shoot or a dslr with only this lens I would choose the point-and-shoot in a heartbeat. That's how much I found this lens to be a piece of junk. The contrast and color are horrible and the images are very fuzzy except with the higher apertures. It's also very clunky and cheaply built. The F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 and the modern DA kit lenses are much, much better than this hunk of plastic.

Location: Skåne, Sweden
Lens Review Date: January 8, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap, relatively sharp, solid (compared to 18-55), (1:4) macro
Cons: poor contrast, manual focus ring, rotating front element
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 6    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-x

A cheap and useful alternative to the DA-L 18-55 kit-lens.

Bought this to experiment with reverse adapters, bellows etc where I needed manual aperture settings, but I ended up using it far more than the kit-lens (SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL), mostly because I find it sharper and the zoom-range is more to my liking. The colors are average, but poor contrast removes some of the depth in the pictures, some post processing can help a lot though. It is relatively sharp and useful wide open, but like always gains from being stepped down.

It feels solid and it weighs considerably more then the DA-L 18-55. I wouldn't say "built like a tank" though, more that the fact that it is heavy that makes it feel pretty solid. Manual focus is not excellent (F-series has a very small focus ring), but possible. Auto-focus is pretty accurate and similar to the kit-lens, but it is far more noisy and very "clunky" (it hits the ends of the focusing range quite hard). Macro function useful and fun, although far from a true macro.

| Pentax K-x | ISO 200 | 80mm | F11 |

| Pentax K-x | ISO 200 | 80mm macro-mode | F11 |

| Pentax K-x | ISO 200 | 80mm macro-mode | F4.5 |

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Chisinau (Moldova)
Lens Review Date: August 3, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very sharp, cheap, good bokeh for a zoom, good range, good colours
Cons: macro only 1:4, minimal distance of focusing in a simple mode aprox. 1 meter (in macro about 30 cm), not SMC

First opinion was that it is a cheap not very high quality KIT lens, but when I made with it first portrait shots - I had changed my opinion about it. It has a nice breedind Pentax bokeh. It`s a pity but modern Pentax zooms (in exception of "star-series" zooms) haven`t such good bokel like this lens. It has a good sharpness and a good focus range. Also i like it colours.
Beside my DA*50-135/2.8 and FA50/1.4 I always put this 28-80 in my travel bag.
My colleague from Moscow has both: the SMC (https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/showproduct.php?product=177&cat=45) and this NON-SMC versions and his opinion: the colours of non-SMC version are better but in MACRO the SMC will be more preferable (these lenses are very similar from the exterior, but have a different optical scheme).

HIGHLY RECCOMENDED

Here is an example (click to see it in original dimensions) made on my K10D with this lens.
Apperture: 4.5
Focal length: 80mm

Add Review of Pentax-F 28-80mm F3.5-4.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!