Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » Non-SMC Pentax Prime Lenses
Takumar-A 28mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

7.7
 10.0
6 54,873 Wed September 9, 2015
Takumar-A 28mm F2.8

This manual focus, non-SMC lens (no super-multi-coating of the lens elements) supports automatic aperture (Tv, P) modes in addition to Av and M. Apart from the coating, the optical formula is that of the smc PENTAX-A 28mm f/2.8.

This lens was also marketed as COSMICAR-A 28mm 1:2.8, MC AUTO CPC Phase 2 28mm 1:2.8, and MC AUTO CPC Phase 2 28mm MACRO 1:2.8, the latter presumably with a closer smallest focusing distance than the 30 cm of the other versions. Technical data are unfortunately not readily available for these variants.

KA

Pentax rectangular 49mm clip-on hood for 28/35mm lenses will fit
No dedicated case
1984 to 1988
TAKUMAR-A 1:2.8 28mm
No SMC coating
Also sold as COSMICAR-A 28mm 1:2.8, MC AUTO CPC Phase 2 28mm 1:2.8, and MC AUTO CPC Phase 2 28mm MACRO 1:2.8, the latter presumably with a closer smallest focusing distance than the 30 cm of the other versions.
Manual FocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of Takumar-A 28mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-6 of 6

Registered: August, 2015
Location: Toulon, South of France
Lens Review Date: September 9, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build, Av able, sharp, fast, field depth
Cons: A contact not firm enough, aperture ring a bit hard
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K200D

I bought mine in a vintage shop so I could test it on my K200 before spending these 50 euro, got a leather case and a metal hood for the price.

Although my copy has a few dust particles inside the body, It has no impact on photo quality.

The A contact did not work until I cleaned it hard both on lens mount and body mount, once fixed I could use it perfectly in Av mode, this is nice because you can control aperture in Av mode and switch to M mode to adjust speed if needed, less use of green button, longer diaph. life.

This lens is almost as fast as my Auto Chinon MC 50mm 1.7 and shots at max aperture (2.8) are much sharper than the Chinon at max ap.

Photos are sharp on all the APS-C surface, very tiny CA in corners. Direct sun reflections (stars effects on glasses or windows) cause absolutely no flare.

Build quality is really good, the steel ka mount is a very clean piece. Focus ring gives a perfect feeling, not too loose, not too hard. Only the aperture ring is a bit hard to move, maybe because it has almost always been used in A position.

Colours are warm and almost 100% what your eyes see.

Another very good point, this lens gives very good photos using a flash, colors saturation seem almost untouched and you may feel you did not even used a flash, even with my K200 internal flash...

Hard to find negative points with this lens, I could maybe had a cheaper one on e-bay but trying before buying is a good option, better spend 20 euro more than loose 30 euro !

Best photos atm are taken with aperture in the range 3.5 - 11, 2.8 is better for portraits or close shots. This lens is not made for macro although it gives an excellent bokeh with its 5-blade diaph.

I recommand it if you are a MF addict as I

test photos, wo and with flash :

Registered: April, 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO

Lens Review Date: June 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $39.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, sharp, auto, good color, great focal length on crop sensor
Cons: could use SMC coating
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

I found this on ebay the other day. Mine has the Cosmicar branding. Works great in auto mode, just like any Pentax-A should. I used a round, metal hood the whole time. It's just a killer lens, nice and sharp, very honest colors. What's not to like? Here are some shots from the past couple days with it. Using a K-01 body. All these shots are RAW and untouched. All shot in Auto "P" mode or Aperture Priority mode.

It's somewhat soft with hints of abberation at 2.8, but by f4 on up, it's really good in most all respects. A real score of a lens.

28mm is really an ideal all-around focal length on crop sensor in my opinion. I guess that's a 42mm equivalent, much like some of my favorite old rangefinders, 40mm, 45mm, etc. A nice click wider than 50mm, but not "wide", just good "normal".

B

Registered: October, 2011
Lens Review Date: October 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, very good CA control, compact, build
Cons: A bit over exposed at F2.8 for landscape, but easy to correct with filter and post-processing
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10

Overall, it is a very good bargain for its sharpness and image quality. It is my all-around lens and stays on my camera for most of the time. I compared this lens with my friend's pentax-m 28mm f2.8. The two lens produce very similar results in most of test shots.

A problem with takumar-a is the landscape photos looks over-exposed at F2.8. but the problem can be solved by stopping down a bit or post-processing in PS.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: toronto
Lens Review Date: June 19, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $58.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, nice bokeh
Cons: none so far

This was a real fight to get this lens on ebay last week, however I prevailed. I tested it out tonight with my K-x and I love it! I'm a beginner, however like the previous reviews I like the sharpness and the bokeh of this gem and I cannot go wrong with the price! I look forward to many adventures together...

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Isle of Skye
Lens Review Date: December 5, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Nice sharp lens

A nice sharp lens, if you're careful with your angles lens flare isn't a problem. Good on a K10D giving a 42mm equivalent.

Registered: May, 2009
Location: North Wales UK
Lens Review Date: May 13, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Nice and sharp detail with my K20D
Cons: Slightly lower contrast than with SMC lenses but easy to correct with software.

Just received this lens so haven't really tested it yet but it seem nice and sharp compared to my 18-250 zoom at 28mm, the slight loss of contrast is easy to tweek in Elements 6, Being an A series it is great on my K20D
Add Review of Takumar-A 28mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!