Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes
S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

7.5
58 224,009 Fri October 27, 2017

S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5
S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5

The 35mm F3.5 M42 screwmount lens was introduced in 1959 as an Auto-Takumar and the optical design remained unchanged all the way to a K-mount version!

The Auto-Takumar was followed by the Super-Takumar which came in three variants. Finally the 35mm F3.5 was released in a Super-Multi-Coated version.

The 35mm F3.5 thus came in a total of five M42 versions plus the K-mount version!

The three Super-Takumar versions can easily be distinguished from each other:

First version: Smallest F-stop is F22.
Second version: Smallest F-stop is F16 and the distance scale has no "window".
Third version: The distance scale has a "window".

The photos above are (left to right): Super-Takumar second version, Super-Takumar third version, Auto-Takumar, and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar.

Auto-Takumar (third photo above):
Auto-Takumar 35mm F3.5
Semi-automatic, 5 blades

1959 to 1962
Auto-Takumar 1:3.5/35
The optical formula remained unchanged into the K-series lenses

1: Auto-Takumar (this lens)

Super-Takumar, first (early) version, the smallest F-stop is F22:
Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5 (i)

1962 to 1964
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35
The aperture of the early variant of the Super-Takumar goes to F22 and the aperture ring has fine ribs.

1: Auto-Takumar
2: Super Takumar first variant: Bottoms out at F22 and has fine ribs on aperture ring (this lens)
5: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

Super-Takumar, second version, the smallest F-stop is F16 (see leftmost photo above):
Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5 (ii)

1964 to 1966
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35
The aperture of the second variant of the Super-Takumar goes to F16 only and the aperture ring has coarse ribs.

1: Auto-Takumar
3: Super Takumar second variant: Bottoms out at F16, has coarse ribs on aperture ring and no distance scale window (this lens)
5: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

Super-Takumar, third (late) version, has a distance scale "window" (second photo above):
Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5 (iii)

56.5 x 34 mm
1966 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35
The third variant of the Super Takumar is distinguished from the earlier variants by having a distance scale "window".

1: Auto-Takumar
4: Super Takumar variant 3: Bottoms out at F16, has coarse ribs on aperture ring and a distance scale window (this lens)

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (last two photos):
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm F3.5

56.5 x 34 mm
1971 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/35

1: Auto-Takumar
5: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 58

Location: toronto
Lens Review Date: October 27, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $58.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: focus ring is so smooth, solid feel, very sharp images
Cons: none for me
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Asahi Pentax S1a

Any possible anxiety focusing with just a micro prism (no additional split prism) was washed away immediately upon first focus. As others have mentioned, the image just ďpopsĒ when it comes into focus. With my test roll using my new/old Pentax S1a and this lens I did take extra time focusing before pressing the shutter, just to make sure a mm this way or a mm that way didnít make a difference. (I really enjoyed the tactile motion of the focus ring!)

As it turned out every picture was in perfect focus, the colour was great (golden hour) and Sunny 16 or my hand held meter helped with exposure. (no meter no nothing in the viewfinder - no distraction)

I have the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar version and I am super pleased with it. Itís a perfect match for me on this grand old Pentax S1a. I will probably be looking for the 55mm version next as both the smc k versions of the 35 and 55 are my two favourite lenses for my LX/MX cameras.

I have to say that shooting this camera with just a micro prism and the 35mm is a dream and a pleasure to use. I had a smile on my face every time I brought it up to my eye!

Registered: May, 2014
Location: Minnesota
Lens Review Date: July 30, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $49.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, rich colors, small, contrast, well made
Cons: Looks dim in viewfinder
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

This lens(SMC version) has been sitting in my bag for more than 2 years, so I decided to take it out for a spin. This has got to be one of my favorite Takumar lenses due to the sharpness, contrast and the color it renders. I have the 31mm Limited, the 16-45mm, the 35mm f2.8 Macro and the 20-40mm which all fall into that range, but when it comes to colors I think this lens beats them all. It is about as close as a Zeiss lens that you are going to get at this price range. Being a non-AF lens of course can be a little inconvenient if lets say you want to shoot moving subjects. This lens also has a pretty long focusing throw for a wide angle lens which makes it a little more inconvenient.

However, once it locks focus, the pictures are excellent. I didn't go out and just shoot a couple of flowers and proclaim this lens a "10" as many people do here. I took as many real life photos as I could and the lens performed wonderfully in most situations. I also have the Non-SMC Super Takumar version of this lens, but the SMC beats it when it comes to sharpness. Also the Super Takumar tends to flare more often when pointed at the sun. Another good thing about this lens is that it is very well preserved. I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but both of my copies look brand spanking new ! There are no scratches, dents or faded paint like you see with other Takumar lenses.

Now for the bad, of course this is a Manual Focusing lens so if you are not into that, you might not like this lens very much. The lens is "Tiny", so setting the aperture can get a little fiddly if you have large hands, or are wearing gloves. The focusing ring is as smooth as butter though, which sort of makes up for it. Trying to get the focus confirmation light to work past F8 is almost impossible. If you want an aperture of f11, or f16 first you have to open up the lens then you must stop down. This makes this lens a "still-life" lens for sure, since it is not suited for action . Another thing is that the view finder is very dim when using this lens. I'm not sure why, maybe its the coatings ? This would probably make shooting at night, or in dim lighting situations very frustrating although I haven't tried it yet, so I'm just assuming. This lens with a maximum f3.5 aperture makes it rather slow, but the good thing is that even at f3.5 the lens is pretty sharp. I would say f8 is the sweet spot though.

Other than that, this is a great little lens for "Pure Photography" ! The 35mm FL gives you the equivalent of a 50mm lens on an APS-C like my K-5 II. This makes it great as walk-about, or street photography lens. Also, because of the rich colors, the lens can double as a Landscape lens on a full frame. I would definitely get a hood especially if you have the Super Takumar version. Just get the 49mm metal hood that also fits the 55mm, and 50mm Takumar lenses on eBay and you are good to go.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: San Diego
Lens Review Date: April 18, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Registered: February, 2015

Lens Review Date: April 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, micro contrast, Tak colors
Cons: Small for my hands
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3ii

This little gem is always with me, along with the K28 3.5. Contrast and colors are excellent. Can't wait for nice weather here on the Wet Coast to give it another workout.
This thing was too cheap. Now I'm on the hunt for a K35 3.5. Will it never end...

Registered: November, 2011

Lens Review Date: September 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: good price, great build, excellent price
Cons: slow wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: NEX-7

Very good lens to use with APS-C sensor for "Normal" 50-ish length.

Registered: February, 2016
Lens Review Date: August 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, price,
Cons: f3.5 maybe ? Not an issue for my usage
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Spotmatic F

I'ts the last takumar in my collection. My copy is the Super Multi Coated Takumar. It's a joy to use on my Canon 1200D and superb on my spotmatic F. It's shart, small, beautiful. Doesn't have extreme bokeh, but from 5.6 onwards the out of focus areas are very nice in my opinion. There's nothing more that i can say about this lens that wasn't said, so I will leave here my samples

I will leave here samples of the lens coupled with my Spotmatic F, scans were made with my 1200D and a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55 1.8

Registered: August, 2015
Lens Review Date: August 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Outstanding mechanical quality, good optics
Cons: Nothing really
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I'm rating the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm/3.5, as used on Sony A7 and A7r cameras. I got it for a good price, but had to buy the hood separately. You will want the hood to cut down on flare and ghosting.

This is a really nice lens. Colour and contrast are very nice -- classic Takumar. The lens is a joy to use. Aperture and focus turn smoothly and it's easy to focus. It's soft at f/3.5, usable at f/5.6, excellent at f/8, very good at f/11 and (remarkably) still usable at f/16. I compared it to my main 35mm lens (SMC Pentax-A 645 25mm/3.5), and the Takumar is a credible contender. I carry it with me when I want to travel light.

Registered: February, 2016
Lens Review Date: February 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Mechanics
Cons: Not good IQY
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 4    Camera Used: Eos 450, k-5

My copy was plain Super-takumar, and looked mint, but it must have been a lemon. Sharpness and contrast were poorer than my kit lens. A disappointment. I sold it. Maybe only a bad copy.

Registered: March, 2015

Lens Review Date: January 11, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $17.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, sharp
Cons: Needs stop-down for metering as with all pre-SMC Taks
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Camera Used: K-5

The e-bay bid was low with not long to go, so I put in a minimum bid and went to bed hoping for the best. When I woke up, it was mine. It's a pretty good normal for those who like putting Takumars on their Pentax DSLRs, and its small size in relation to its 28mm and 50mm stablemates is impressive - in Takumar terms, it's almost in pancake territory.

Performance is what you make of it. Mine is only a Super Takumar, so it doesn't have the most modern coatings, but what really surprised me is what happened when I stuck a bellows unit between the DSLR and this lens...

IMG11333 by PD's Deadly Lens, on Flickr

And even when I didn't...

IMG11305 by PD's Deadly Lens, on Flickr

Just look at those single beard hairs.

When the lighting is just right, this old lens performs with the best. If you're into Takumars, don't feel like you necessarily have to wait for the late-model SMC version to appear - the Supers are capable of every bit as good a performance. The only reason I personally would recommend holding out for the SMC version is if you have a Spotmatic F or ES-series body that can make use of the full-open metering feature.

Addit: Here, complete with a range of in- and out-of-focus areas for your inspection, is what it can do on the K-1.

Registered: September, 2010
Location: MD
Lens Review Date: December 19, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp; beautiful color and contrast
Cons: only full stops; starts at f3.5
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

Wow! I found one of the Super Taks rather cheap. Looked a bit dusty inside the lens but otherwise clean and figured it was worth a chance.
I already have the DA 35 f2.4 which is a fantastic lens and been a favorite of mine, but this lens does a superior job in terms of sharpness (including across the frame), color, and contrast. The pictures really have a pop to them. I am impressed. I did some direct comparison shots, and even just using focus confirmation and my attempts at manual focusing, the Super Tak got the better picture almost every time.
I shoot in Av mode with my Takumars, and the only drawback really is that I often need to open up to focus--especially in less than bright light--and then close down to shoot.
And of course the lens has that excellent Takumar build with a silky focus ring. Wonderful lens!

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay

Lens Review Date: September 14, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, compactness
Cons: slow
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon EOS bodies

I have been using this lens on Canon bodies...and boy..this lens is sharp or what. This an s-m-c version

Registered: March, 2014
Location: 48599 Gronau
Lens Review Date: July 28, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp whith very good image rendering
Cons: I don't see any
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

Got this lens in very good conditions, but whithout the lens hood, which is necessery to get great results! But you can find the hood cheap second hand at ebay. Sharpness is great, but mostly I was impressed by the colours, even on digital. An ideal lens for landscapes and nature work. Very good rendering of green and red/brown tones. The lens is contrasty and easy to handle. There was a little dust inside the lens, which I think is normal for a nearly 45 years old lens. Nothing to worry about!

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Lens Review Date: April 29, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $72.49 | Rating: 10

Pros: contrast, color saturation, sharp
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-500

On my old Chinon CS and Pentax ME Super, this was my wide angle. Now on the K-500, it is equivalent to 52.5mm focal length (normal on the old SLR film cameras). So this old Takumar is the new normal prime for DSLRs. It doesn't get a lot of use since the 18-55mm is so versatile and almost as sharp. And the autofocus is usually better than my eyeball manual focus. But given enough time, I can make it shine. I still make good use of the big depth of field and the red 8 on the aperture ring!

I bought it new in 1980, mail order from Olympic Camera. Since I am the sole owner of this lens and have been kind to it, it is just like new after 35+ years. I wonder what photography will be like in the year 2050. Just sayin'.

Registered: November, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 26, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, light and solid. Cheap.
Cons: Slowish - not a real limitation
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fuji X-e1

I have an SMC Takumar 3.5/35mm with original hood.
This was my very first Takumar and having collected several others since, I decided recently to come back to it and give it another outing. I'm glad I did and can say this is now my favourite wide / normal legacy lens for landscape and close-ups ( with tube ) on my Fuji X-e1. Its small and light with outstanding sharpness although contrast needs a little boost post. Its a little slow at 3.5 but I would never shoot anyway other than 5.6 or 8.0 and with some type of support. Highly recommended and a match, if not surpassing, many modern primes of this length. I know this is just my opinion but having owned dozens of the better legacy lenses over the years I would recommend owning this lens if you ever get the opportunity.

Registered: September, 2014
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, great build quality, low CA
Cons: Slow, M42 mount
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K10D

Nice lens, 9/10.
Add Review of S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!