Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes
S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

7.5
66 283,760 Sun October 13, 2019

S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5
S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5

The 35mm F3.5 M42 screwmount lens was introduced in 1959 as an Auto-Takumar and the optical design remained unchanged all the way to a K-mount version!

The Auto-Takumar was followed by the Super-Takumar which came in three variants. Finally the 35mm F3.5 was released in a Super-Multi-Coated version.

The 35mm F3.5 thus came in a total of five M42 versions plus the K-mount version!

The three Super-Takumar versions can easily be distinguished from each other:

First version: Smallest F-stop is F22.
Second version: Smallest F-stop is F16 and the distance scale has no "window".
Third version: The distance scale has a "window".

The photos above are (left to right): Super-Takumar second version, Super-Takumar third version, Auto-Takumar, and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar.

Auto-Takumar (third photo above):
Auto-Takumar 35mm F3.5
Semi-automatic, 5 blades

1959 to 1962
Auto-Takumar 1:3.5/35
336, 43360
The optical formula remained unchanged into the K-series lenses

1: Auto-Takumar (this lens)

Super-Takumar, first (early) version, the smallest F-stop is F22:
Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5 (i)

1962 to 1964
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35
The aperture of the early variant of the Super-Takumar goes to F22 and the aperture ring has fine ribs.

1: Auto-Takumar
2: Super Takumar first variant: Bottoms out at F22 and has fine ribs on aperture ring (this lens)
5: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

Super-Takumar, second version, the smallest F-stop is F16 (see leftmost photo above):
Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5 (ii)

1964 to 1966
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35
The aperture of the second variant of the Super-Takumar goes to F16 only and the aperture ring has coarse ribs.

1: Auto-Takumar
3: Super Takumar second variant: Bottoms out at F16, has coarse ribs on aperture ring and no distance scale window (this lens)
5: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar

Super-Takumar, third (late) version, has a distance scale "window" (second photo above):
Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5 (iii)

56.5 x 34 mm
1966 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/35
The third variant of the Super Takumar is distinguished from the earlier variants by having a distance scale "window".

1: Auto-Takumar
4: Super Takumar variant 3: Bottoms out at F16, has coarse ribs on aperture ring and a distance scale window (this lens)

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (last two photos):
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm F3.5

56.5 x 34 mm
1971 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/35

1: Auto-Takumar
5: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 66

Registered: June, 2018
Lens Review Date: October 13, 2019 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very small, excellent contrast and colors, good flare control, great central sharpness
Cons: Middling mid-frame sharpness and low corner/edge sharpness, difficult to find in good shape
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 7    Camera Used: SP-F, X-T3

I have the Super Multi Coated version. This lens is for someone who values a good performing lens that is small and lightweight. With that said I wasn't super impressed with this lens overall. Wide open it's already very contrasty and central sharpness is high, but mid-frame and edge sharpness aren't quite there. Even when stopping down to f/5.6 the mid-frame and edge sharpness don't catch up to the center, there's a considerable gap between the two and it's only when you get to f/8 when it starts to even out. Given the reviews and the f/3.5 aperture I was hoping for something that was in the league of the K 28mm 3.5. It has the contrast but not the resolution I'm afraid, but its other traits help make up for it at least. High contrast, flare and ghost resistant, small and lightweight, it's a nice lens to behold and use that's for sure. Unfortunately it's not the lens for me.

I'd also like to mention that I had a very hard time finding a good copy of this lens. I must have tried 6 or 7 different copies, all listed as "excellent" and "perfect optics" only to discover that they had a considerable amount of haze or some coating wear upon close inspection. I finally found a good copy, one that was never used and still in the original box! Even in truly mint condition there was a very tiny amount of light haze present but it was within my margin of error for vintage lenses and so I kept it.

I also see that the K mount version rates much better overall, but some reviews mention the issues with edge and corner sharpness too. Both lenses hare the same optical formula, so it's hard to say what the difference is between them.

Registered: August, 2019
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Takumar build quality.
Cons: Tiny size
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Sony a7iii

Very small body size!

35mm Shot at F3.5

Registered: June, 2019
Location: Dubai
Lens Review Date: June 5, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, lens flare, weight, sharpness, focus ring.
Cons: Might be too small for the sausage-fingered!
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

When it first arrives in the post you'll think 'there's just no way' - I mean it is tiny. I've used for photography but mainly I use this for video on a Sony A7R ii and it's just beautiful. The flare is great, it's very sharp and focusing is easy, with a very solid and smooth focus ring (the whole lens is solid metal). At this price it's just amazing. Brilliant piece of lens design, I love it and use it on my top $$$ video productions.

Registered: October, 2016

Lens Review Date: April 22, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $84.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small and light, colors, 3D
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

Time for me to give something back to the community, as I always profit from the lens reviews myself.

I recently purchased a K-1 next to my K-3 and I was searching for an affordable prime wide-angle lens for mostly street / abstract and landscape photography. I was used to the pancake smc 21mm 3.2 lens, and I still think that in combination with my K-3, this is one of the best allrounder combination for my purposes.

Designed for APS-C sensor bodies only, the 21mm shows heavy vignetting on the K-1, and using the crop-function does not make sense to me at all, as I will loose resolution (24Mp on K-3 to 16Mp crop mode K-1). Why did I not just stick to my K-3 with the 21mm then? Well, this is a topic for another thread.

So I found a very well preserved piece for only 84$. I have already possessed a Pentax M42 adapter ring (another 60$ for a high quality one), so I really staid below 100$ for the purchase, so the financial risk for me was quite low.

Version
I got the second version of the Super-Takumar, without distance window and no special coating.

Chromatic Aberration
With wide-angle lenses I usually don't shoot full open, and I am mostly shooting black and white, so I could not care less.

Distortion
Present, no lens profile present in Lightroom, but can be easily done manually and set up a preset.

The quality of the focus ring is awesome, comparable with the one from the Super-Takumar 1:1.4/50mm. Very precise.

Image quality
Haven't shoot a lot, but the pictures I have shot show a very very good technical quality, especially when you stop down to F5.6 to F8, which I mostly use for street/landscape. The lens has a very good micro-contrast, which I really like to have for black and white pics. You will read a lot about bokeh, and that this lens has a bad bokeh character. I agree to the part, that there are plenty lenses out there, that produce a more beautiful bokeh. But bokeh is overrated imho, especially for a wide-angle lens.

The lens is small, light, produces beautiful colors, and creates "poppy" foreground objects when close-focusing.

I think it is a must-have for street and landscape photography, with its 35mm it fits perfectly to this domain. You will make nothing wrong when purchasing this lens.

Registered: April, 2016

Lens Review Date: March 19, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, color rendition, flare resistance
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

The 35/3.5 is a workhorse and a very fine lens for outdoor, studio, reprographic and a lot more uses. For me the color rendition and the sharpness is one of the best strength of this lens and if I need a wide angle in an unknown situation, I will put it in my bag.
If I need more details / resolution I will take a 50mm macro lens or the mirrorless camera with the Contax G-Biogon 28mm (with PCX-filter 1.5m).
I own the S and SMC version and both are perfect.

Registered: February, 2019

Lens Review Date: March 14, 2019 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Small and light
Cons: Over-inflated cost and over-rated
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 5    Camera Used: K2 ME Super K-X

I have a 100% clean Super Takumar version that is in mint condition and I used to have an older one that I needed to take apart and clean out. Both gave very similar results. I really cannot work out what all the fuss is about with this lens. I think a lot of people are rating their digital sensors and their processors reacting to this lens, not the lens itself. Using it with film, it is not 10/10 in terms of performance It's good to very good, though. Using it with a basic digital K-X, and it's not massively better. I have a cheap Tokina lens from the 1990's with a PK mount that is far better than this M42 35mm lens, and that only cost me $12. The Takumar is so very small and compact lens that is a bit difficult to use in some conditions if you have anything chunkier than fine fingers. Thus is especially true when taking manual images. Image quality is good to very good in low light and very good in bright light. Use a hood in bright light as the front lens is very close to the filter rim and it is prone to minor flare at times. The turning circle is superbly small, so you can be pretty nifty with your focusing style. I do find it a bit difficult to focus well all the time. Contrast is good in all conditions. Distortion is good. Very difficult to open the lens cluster to clean away any dirt inside. The front lens tends to accumulate dirt around the edge that can be awkward to clean out unless you use a cotton swab (mind the plastic on the glass) so you are forced to use a filter if you want to stop the front glass getting dirty. Tends to be very over-priced for what it is as some buyers assume it is the bee's knees of M42 mount lenses if you want 35mm wide angle images. Sadly, sellers are often willing to feed such assumptions, and this forces the secondhand prices right up high. Overall, this little lens is nothing more than very good when you are not relying upon a cracking digital camera with a quality sensor and processor that makes you think it's the lens that is doing all the work; which it will not be. I find it to be one of those lenses that never excites me. Make sure you invest a good block of time getting used to it if you are not familiar with M42 lenses. Alternatively, buy a 55mm Takumar and just take a few steps backwards to get more in the frame.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Moab, Utah
Lens Review Date: February 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, color punch, contrast, flare resistance
Cons: bokeh, not close focusing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7ii, a7s

I have S-M-C version.

A great all-around lens. Nice size and build, super cheap and available. Sharp enough for anyone and with nice colors, overall great image. 3d pop is good, distortion well controlled. The only thing that isn't perfect about it is the fact that it doesn't focus all that close and the bokeh isn't desirable. It's not a fast lens. Images look a lot like M series lenses as far as colors and contrast go. If you want something that focuses faster and has way better bokeh while maintaining fine contrast rendering, the M series renders a lot like this one but focuses much closer.

I also have and have compared in detail, this lens to the Takumar 1:4 f=35mm, the Auto-Takumar 1:2.3 f=35mm, SMC K 35mm f2, M series 35mm f2.8, and FA 35mm f2. For anyone curious and wanting to compare, see my video for a comprehensive review with examples.

Registered: July, 2017

Lens Review Date: January 31, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Microcontrast - "real" feeling
Cons: Please look below
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

(I have the Super Takumar version, maybe SMC would be even better)

I should tell how I use the lens, so that you will get me easier.

I have a Helios 44M, 3.5/28M, and this little guy. Trying to hunt portraits, I had 44M on the camera almost always, yet wanted to give this one a try for some "environmental" shots I may say - humans in their surroundings. I use it mainly at or close to infinity and at f/3.5, sometimes (although rarely) at 5.6 and once in a while at 8. I shoot B&W, generally around 400 ISO (yet, as it is winter now, I go up to 1600 normally, and to 4000 lately), on the street more than inside, and shoot at both ends of the scale (.45 meters to infinity), although more at the far end of it as I said above.

As you know how I use it, let us move on now.

PROS

3D capability (so-called micro-contrast) of this lens is its biggest plus. It is not "razor sharp" as modern people want it to be. Yet this is its main plus: it is not razor sharp, but the lack of sharpness produces the feeling that you can touch the photos that it produces. I love how my subjects pop out of the screen, and how I actually can touch them.

It surely does not lack sharpness,no. It is as sharp as you normally need. But it is not a Takumar 1.4/50 (which has more sharpness with equal micro-contrast). So if you are a pixel-peeper, this lens will not give you what you want. Yet, I should add that you better drop this strange habit of pixel-peeping and look at the frame than a fraction of it to which no one else will look at. Come on, which Leica lens is God damn sharp? They have the 3D capability, and that is why we love them. So treat this lens with respect, it really deserves it.

I have almost no idea about the colors that it produces. Yes, I shoot raw and I see them in color for some 2-3 seconds, but not more.

It controls aberrations pretty well on a crop camera (k-50 in my case), yet I don't know how it would be on K-1 or 5D or such. Sometimes it needs very small adjustments here and there, but it is rather normal for me.

Bokeh is not the best thing with 3.5 aperture, but if you want to shoot something with its background rather than singling it totally out, I can say that I like its bokeh. It is neither too much nor too few, and at 3.5, it is just what it should be. You surely cannot shoot a portrait with it as good as you can with a 70-200 lens, but they are totally different from each other. It does as good as it should being a 35 (or rather 52) mm lens.

It is small and very light, so its handling is perfect. My hands are big for it sometimes, but I go for the lens being small rather than big. Ain't another reason for us loving Leicas their small size? Well, at least for me it is. Both aperture and focus rings are butter smooth, and I love it.

It does not give the perfect resolution, but if you shoot B&W and if you do not have problems with some noise, it catches up with K-50's sensor. I have some 4000 ISO shots now, and I sometimes look closer to see noise. Not that it has the perfect noise, especially in darker scenes the blacks are going mad at times (although rarely), but I have some color-shots at a church at 7PM and they are very promising for color-shooters too. In the end, noise control is more on the camera than the lens lately, and if you do not push your sensor much, the lens does not give you bad results at all.

Flare is well controlled in this lens, and I did not have any problems so far.

It has a feeling, separate from the micro-contrast, and I love to look at the world from the viewfinder. I do not know if it is because of its 52mm length, or if it is because I like the works of Henri Cartier Bresson, whom I adore and who shot almost always with a 50mm lens (albeit not an f/3.5 one). It is just the perfect angle for me.

CONS

Haze. I almost always need to remove haze. I hate it. I play with everything, but there always is haze. I don't know why. Photoshop has dehaze option, and it is easier nowadays to get rid of it. Yet it is disturbing to visit that part of the menu first thing.

Five blades forces me to use it at 3.5 almost always, as I hate the stars. I don't like it even with 44M, which was my choice because of its 8 blades (while I still am looking for the 13-blades version), and you can guess how much I hate 5 blade's stupid stars. I do not mean the "sunrays", I mean the stars. You got me, right?

RESULT

If you like micro-contrast over sharpness, if you do not want to mess with the image that it produces except adding some contrast (well, we shoot raw and we need to add contrast. no?), and if you are okay with using dehaze menu often, this is a go-to lens if you ask me. I do not have any problems with it, and it is the lens that I keep on my camera always. Okay, I do not have perfect lenses, yet I doubt that I'd give this one up - except if 2/35 produces as good images as this one does. In the end we all want to have "bigger eyes" which gives us more space.

---

UPDATE

After using it more, I can say that this is the lens, and it would be THE lens if it was f/2, or something even better (maybe 1.4, as if we can focus at 1.4). The way that it gives the shadows is fantastic. There is something with this lens that reminds me of Leica M lenses - not razor sharpness but an amazing 3D feeling, wonderful shadows, and amazing transitions from black to white, from in-focus areas to out-of-focus areas, and from alpha to omega. I cannot find anything other than haze and the small f stop (while I should add that I started having haze on every photo, be it shot with this lens or not, so maybe my camera started working wrong).

Get it. Especially if you are shooting B&W. It will be the best 30-40 dollars/euros/pounds that you'll have spent.

Location: Toronto
Lens Review Date: October 27, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $58.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: focus ring is so smooth, solid feel, very sharp images
Cons: none for me
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Asahi Pentax S1a

Any possible anxiety focusing with just a micro prism (no additional split prism) was washed away immediately upon first focus. As others have mentioned, the image just ďpopsĒ when it comes into focus. With my test roll using my new/old Pentax S1a and this lens I did take extra time focusing before pressing the shutter, just to make sure a mm this way or a mm that way didnít make a difference. (I really enjoyed the tactile motion of the focus ring!)

As it turned out every picture was in perfect focus, the colour was great (golden hour) and Sunny 16 or my hand held meter helped with exposure. (no meter no nothing in the viewfinder - no distraction)

I have the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar version and I am super pleased with it. Itís a perfect match for me on this grand old Pentax S1a. I will probably be looking for the 55mm version next as both the smc k versions of the 35 and 55 are my two favourite lenses for my LX/MX cameras.

I have to say that shooting this camera with just a micro prism and the 35mm is a dream and a pleasure to use. I had a smile on my face every time I brought it up to my eye!

Registered: May, 2014
Location: Minnesota

Lens Review Date: July 30, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $49.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, rich colors, small, contrast, well made
Cons: Looks dim in viewfinder
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

This lens(SMC version) has been sitting in my bag for more than 2 years, so I decided to take it out for a spin. This has got to be one of my favorite Takumar lenses due to the sharpness, contrast and the color it renders. I have the 31mm Limited, the 16-45mm, the 35mm f2.8 Macro and the 20-40mm which all fall into that range, but when it comes to colors I think this lens beats them all. It is about as close as a Zeiss lens that you are going to get at this price range. Being a non-AF lens of course can be a little inconvenient if lets say you want to shoot moving subjects. This lens also has a pretty long focusing throw for a wide angle lens which makes it a little more inconvenient.

However, once it locks focus, the pictures are excellent. I didn't go out and just shoot a couple of flowers and proclaim this lens a "10" as many people do here. I took as many real life photos as I could and the lens performed wonderfully in most situations. I also have the Non-SMC Super Takumar version of this lens, but the SMC beats it when it comes to sharpness. Also the Super Takumar tends to flare more often when pointed at the sun. Another good thing about this lens is that it is very well preserved. I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but both of my copies look brand spanking new ! There are no scratches, dents or faded paint like you see with other Takumar lenses.

Now for the bad, of course this is a Manual Focusing lens so if you are not into that, you might not like this lens very much. The lens is "Tiny", so setting the aperture can get a little fiddly if you have large hands, or are wearing gloves. The focusing ring is as smooth as butter though, which sort of makes up for it. Trying to get the focus confirmation light to work past F8 is almost impossible. If you want an aperture of f11, or f16 first you have to open up the lens then you must stop down. This makes this lens a "still-life" lens for sure, since it is not suited for action . Another thing is that the view finder is very dim when using this lens. I'm not sure why, maybe its the coatings ? This would probably make shooting at night, or in dim lighting situations very frustrating although I haven't tried it yet, so I'm just assuming. This lens with a maximum f3.5 aperture makes it rather slow, but the good thing is that even at f3.5 the lens is pretty sharp. I would say f8 is the sweet spot though.

Other than that, this is a great little lens for "Pure Photography" ! The 35mm FL gives you the equivalent of a 50mm lens on an APS-C like my K-5 II. This makes it great as walk-about, or street photography lens. Also, because of the rich colors, the lens can double as a Landscape lens on a full frame. I would definitely get a hood especially if you have the Super Takumar version. Just get the 49mm metal hood that also fits the 55mm, and 50mm Takumar lenses on eBay and you are good to go.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: San Diego
Lens Review Date: April 18, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

I got this lens as part of a Pentax "S" kit. Also with it was a 50mm 2.2, and a 100mm F/3.5

Registered: February, 2015

Lens Review Date: April 7, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, micro contrast, Tak colors
Cons: Small for my hands
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3ii

This little gem is always with me, along with the K28 3.5. Contrast and colors are excellent. Can't wait for nice weather here on the Wet Coast to give it another workout.
This thing was too cheap. Now I'm on the hunt for a K35 3.5. Will it never end...

Registered: November, 2011

Lens Review Date: September 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: good price, great build, excellent price
Cons: slow wide open
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: NEX-7

Very good lens to use with APS-C sensor for "Normal" 50-ish length.

Registered: February, 2016
Lens Review Date: August 29, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, price,
Cons: f3.5 maybe ? Not an issue for my usage
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Spotmatic F

I'ts the last takumar in my collection. My copy is the Super Multi Coated Takumar. It's a joy to use on my Canon 1200D and superb on my spotmatic F. It's shart, small, beautiful. Doesn't have extreme bokeh, but from 5.6 onwards the out of focus areas are very nice in my opinion. There's nothing more that i can say about this lens that wasn't said, so I will leave here my samples

I will leave here samples of the lens coupled with my Spotmatic F, scans were made with my 1200D and a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 55 1.8

Registered: August, 2015

Lens Review Date: August 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Outstanding mechanical quality, good optics
Cons: Nothing really
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I'm rating the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm/3.5, as used on Sony A7 and A7r cameras. I got it for a good price, but had to buy the hood separately. You will want the hood to cut down on flare and ghosting.

This is a really nice lens. Colour and contrast are very nice -- classic Takumar. The lens is a joy to use. Aperture and focus turn smoothly and it's easy to focus. It's soft at f/3.5, usable at f/5.6, excellent at f/8, very good at f/11 and (remarkably) still usable at f/16. I compared it to my main 35mm lens (SMC Pentax-A 645 25mm/3.5), and the Takumar is a credible contender. I carry it with me when I want to travel light.
Add Review of S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!