Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Normal Primes
S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Review RSS Feed

9.9
33 160,949 Tue October 1, 2019

S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4

This macro lens existed in both Macro-, Super- and Super-Multi-Coated variants. The Macro-Takumar was differently constructed compared to the later variants and went out to 1x magnification rather than the 0.5x of the later lenses. The optics are the same for all three variants.

Variants:
1x

1964 to 1966
Macro-Takumar 1:4/50
367, 43670

1: Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 1x magification (this lens)
2: Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification
3: Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification

Super-Macro-Takumar (first photo):
Super-Macro-Takumar 50mm F4
M42 Stop-down Pin

1966 to 1971
Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50
910, 43910, 43911
The latest production run, product number 43912, supports open aperture meeting with the Spotmatic F, ES and ESII
1: Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 1x magification
2: Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification (this lens)
3: Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification

Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR (third, fourth and fifth photo)
Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-Takumar 50mm F4
M42 Open-aperture Metering

Not needed
1971 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

1: Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 1x magification
2: Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification
3: Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 33

Registered: August, 2019
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $240.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Takumar build quality. Superb handling. Great color rendition, highlights and shadows.
Cons: 5 blades iris
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7iii

I have the SMC version. Excellent macro lens. Very sharp and colorful. Butter smooth focus ring. Very precise.

50mm Macro at F4

Registered: June, 2018

Lens Review Date: September 26, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High sharpness and contrast, vivid color, excellent build and handling
Cons: 5-bladed diaphragm and pentagon bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: SP-F, X-T3

I have the Super Multi Coated version. WOW, this lens is by far my favorite Takumar. Super sharp and contrasty even at minimum focus distance. It resolves very well on 26 megapixels APS-C and has some of the best color contrast and micro contrast I've seen in any macro lens. In terms of raw optical performance it outperforms the 100mm f/4 (as well as most modern macro lenses) in both sharpness and contrast. The simple Tessar-anastigmat design of this lens is very effective. This is one lens that will never leave my collection.

Registered: July, 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Lens Review Date: March 21, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, good handling
Cons: None really
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Q10, Q7

My lens is the later model engraved Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50

On the Q system, this lens allows a fairly long working distance. It seems to out-perform the small sensors (or maybe it out-performs me) but it is still not a bad option while the Q-system does not include a macro lens. I will let the images speak for themselves. (A comparison with a macro filter on the Pentax 110 50/f2.8 might be interesting if I get around to it.)

Native bee on a white rose (windy day so perhaps not ideal). Shot with Q10 as a jpeg, cropped to 3000x2400 and resized for posting. Tripod used.

Honey bee (feral) at the entrance to a wild hive. Shot with Q7 as a jpeg, cropped to 3000x2400 and resized for posting. Hand held.

100 per cent crops from the above images. Satisfactory result on these small sensors.

Registered: December, 2018

Lens Review Date: December 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $95.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very solid built, easy to use, small size
Cons: Only f/4 aperture
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Fujifilm X-T3

I use this lens as my only macro lens and enjoy it very much. Very easy to use, metal construction, small size. I use m42 adapter for my Fujifilm x-t3 camera.
As this is only 1:2 magnification, I use also extension tubes if needed.
This lens is incredible value for money so highly recommend for anyone.
Please take into account that this is manual focus lens so focusing is a challenge. I use it with focus peaking feature which helps a lot to get proper focus.
Check out my latest macro photos through the links below.

Registered: November, 2018
Lens Review Date: November 14, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredible sharpness, color fidelity, handling ease
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Spotmatic

According to the chart I must have lucked into one of the last production models a couple of years after it was discontinued, which might have discouraged me from buying it.

I'd been curious about macro photography and started with those clumsy extension tubes and sacrifice and exposure calculations (for slides) on an H3V, so went to close-up filter add-ons which solved the calculation problem, but then realized that, even though it would roughly duplicate my 55mm 1.8 lens, and was, on a newer Spotmatic, only manual, it would be worth acquiring. It was. Without the need for extra-fast lenses I essentially never used the 55 again.

The standard for resolution at the time was a Summicron, but it was impossible to see how any lens could be sharper, at all apertures, and with a perfectly flat field. I later used it extensively for slide copy work for other artists, as well as, with a bellow and slide copier, for enlarged details of slides and other experimental work.

An automatic ought to have been faster, but by presetting the aperture and with only a slight twist to get from 7ft to inf it was easily a more convenient lens for ordinary usage, if not, for me, as preferable as a much wider FOV. With this and the 17mm Fish-eye lens (and an excellent 135mm) it was clear that I'd chosen the best system for me.

Registered: October, 2009
Lens Review Date: December 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, 1:1, Sharp, deeply recessed front element
Cons: Sensitive to moire, tends to underexpose
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

This is the 1:1 preset version. It should probably have it's own thread, as it skews the average purchase price for the rest of the lenses. At time of this review, prices for the 1:1 version can be over $300.00 depending on the cosmetic condition, while the 1:5 versions can be had for $50-75.00.

This is a lovely light little lens. It's sharp. My copy tends to underexpose a half stop to a stop. Not a huge problem with the K-1 if you forget to compensate.

When I get a lens, I always take a picture of my laptop LCD screen. Pictures had a slight a rainbow moire pattern at 1:1. I don't see the issue with my newer 1:1 macro. Would probably go away if one uses the filter simulator when using the K-1. So you might need to be careful shooting patterns.

It has a nice long throw, so critical focusing is easy. Assuming you already have the M42 to K mount, it's probably the least expensive way to get a nice 1:1 macro lens.

Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 1:1, on Flickr

Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 1:1 - Crop, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2010
Location: TAIWAN
Lens Review Date: May 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1:1, Low contrast, exquisite
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: PENTAX

I own version Macro-Talumar 1:4/50 (preset, 1:1), 50mm macro lens of choice (except F 50 / 2.8 MACRO), happily useing.

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Kent

Lens Review Date: February 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $115.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent in all respects
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon eos 50D

This review is for the the first (preset) version. I purchased this lens in good used condition in 2014 and have rarely taken it off the camera over the last year.
I have owned a lot of different macro lenses in the past but none of them have performed as well as this one.
Being the 1:1 version makes it incredibly versatile and I find the preset diaphragm really easy to use with my Canon digital camera.
With a little practice using it handheld even when very close is very easy.

I haven't done a direct comparison with the SMC version but I cant believe it would give any sharper, brighter or more contrasty results than mine.
I think the 1:1 is probably a better feature to have rather than SMC.

I would suggest to anyone if you see the first version at the right price then go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Oklahoma

Lens Review Date: March 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARPEST, color saturation, contrast, no CA, no distortion
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-500 and 5 older bodies

I bought this Macro Takumar 50mm f4 in 1979 and have used it on M-42 film cameras,
PK-mount film cameras, and now two DSLRs. I commend the corporate culture of Pentax
for considering backward compatibility as having value. I appreciate efficiency, which
includes getting full use from assets. Top quality and top performing lenses are assets.
I have every intention of using this lens as long as I have a camera with the ability to
mount it. Mine is the old one that goes 1:1 without tubes on 35mm format, and even beyond
on current DSLRs like my K-500.

Registered: March, 2014
Lens Review Date: February 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent sharpness from f/4
Cons: Comparatively slow lens
Sharpness: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7

The SMC Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 is a great lens optically and mechanically. As expected for a macro lens, it is very sharp across most of the frame at f/4, and even sharper at f/5.6. FF edges and corners are just a tad worse, but at f/8 the entire image is sharp.

The biggest downside to this lens is that it is only f/4, which makes it less attractive as a normal lens when macro capabilities are not needed.

Location: California

Lens Review Date: January 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Greatest Macro Ever - Sharp and 1:1
Cons: None so far
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Kx, K5, K3

I had both versions of the lens the SMC Tak50/4, and the Macro-Tak50/4 (preset). I am evaluating both, although the preset is my main guide. I have had both lenses for several years, and I am surprised that I only use the preset when I need some special real macro, things too small or so. It is the best. I also use it with added tubes and bellows (and of course flash). For walks around, I use the Vivitar 105/2.4 or the Tamron 90/2.8 AF. If you find the Macro-Tak preset, get it.

Macro-Takumar50mmf4=ExtensionTubes-Tornillo1-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Macro-Takumar 50mmf4-MacroPreset+ExtensionTubes@f4-PlugTerminals1-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

S-M-C Takumar 50mmf4-Macro@f4-Buganvilia-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

you can also use this lens for product photography, it is so sharp:

S-M-C Takumar 50mmf4-Macro&Refconverter-A@f4-frutas1-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Registered: January, 2014
Lens Review Date: December 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build, unique star bokeh
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-01

I recently picked up the Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 (preset version) . I am truly in love with this lens! The all-metal build quality is superb, and it is a dream to use with its' long focus throw and smooth operation. I'm amazed a lens this old can be so sharp. I also happen to love the bokeh though I can understand why it's not to everyone's taste. I haven't owned too many macro lenses so I can't really draw any comparisons, but I am very happy with it so far; easily my favorite lens. Here's a sample from a short walk through the garden to show what it can do on my Pentax K-01.

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, sharp, no aberrations on APS-C
Cons: small MFD, 5 aperture blades
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

The Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 is an excellent macro lens. Mechanically and optically the lens does not leave to be desired for anything more - the lens is ergonomic, easy to use and very sharp all over the APS-C frame at any given aperture. The background blur is soft and smooth even taking into account that this is not a fast lens. There are no visible optical aberrations with the APS-C sensor. The maximum magnification ratio of 1:2 is the same as that of most of modern macro lenses with similar focal lengths of 40-60 mm.

If you will ask me how can you compare this lens with 1:4/100 model, then, in my opinion, the image quality that can be obtained when using these macro lenses is more or less the same. Thanks to twice the minimum focusing distance the 1:4/100 model is better suited for professional macro shooting: the housing of the lens does not cast a shadow on the subject and is far enough to not to scare the insects and make them run away from the frame.

My review of S-M-C Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 (ultimate version) with test pics at different apertures:

And this is my review of this lens on a full-frame camera:

Registered: July, 2012

Lens Review Date: July 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colourful, exquisitely engineered
Cons: f4, more fragile than S-M-C's
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3, K-01

The Macro Takumar 50/4 celebrates its 50th birthday this year.

Recently, I used the early 1:1 preset version every day for a month on the Single in Challenge, and all I can say is Ďwowí. What a great lens Takumar made back in 1964. Physically the lens is a small gem, and itís a joy to use. The end results are beautiful, even by the standards of todayís macros.

Itís not the easiest lens to master, and thatís part of the fun. First of all, f4 is a bit slow for some kinds of macro work with only natural light. With live view/zoom itís really not a problem seeing/focusing. But Iíd have liked a faster lens to combat very slight movements in small objects. Secondly, my K-3 and K-01 simply canít meter the very deep-set glass accurately for up-close shots outside, and tends to over exposure across the frame, resulting in blow-outs. However, that's not a con worth dwelling on for me, as macro is much better manually metered.

After some trial and error on subjects and settings, youíll find the lens produces stunning images. Very sharp and very colourful. At f4 the 50mm it can deliver very artistic images with surprisingly narrow DoF and super-smooth bokeh (see photo below). 10 for bokeh wide open, but closed down the blades become much more noticeable in the background and maybe not to everyone's taste.

The quality of build and engineering is outstanding. Having said this, there is one downside to the preset version, given its age. It has more moving parts, and is undoubtedly more fragile than later, and to me less desirable, S-M-C Takumars (not 1:1). So you have to be careful buying one unseen off the web.

I highly recommend the lens to anyone who wants a cheapish entry into macro photography, and a piece of history. It cost me around US$100. Itís worth every cent IMO. Itís one of those lenses youíll want to return to again and again. It is also a more than adequate walk around lens. Not quite in the same league as the Takumar 50/1.4, but close enough.

Here are a few photos of and by the lens, and if you're interested, a link to my Mac Tak 50/4 photos on Flickr. www.flickr.com/photos/95859572@N06/sets/72157644855700903/

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: April 23, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very compact and razor sharp even at F4
Cons: F4 is a bit slow, makes focusing a bit tricky soemetimes
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 10    Camera Used: Nikon D2Xs

Looking for a good macro lens on a tight budget, I stumbled on a very old version of this lens. It turned out to be the M-42 Macro Takumar 50mm F4 1:1-version (full macro enlargement), with the aperture control up front of the lens. There is also a 1:2 (half maginification) version, and there are also SMC K and maybe even M-versions of this great lens.

It still is in mint working condition, the sharpness is incredible.
Handling is smooth and silky, all components are solid metal, this lens is a definite winner!
Add Review of S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!