Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Normal Primes
S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4 Review RSS Feed

9.9
28 127,899 Sat December 3, 2016

S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4

This macro lens existed in both Macro-, Super- and Super-Multi-Coated variants. The Macro-Takumar was differently constructed compared to the later variants and went out to 1x magnification rather than the 0.5x of the later lenses. The optics are the same for all three variants.

Variants:
1x

1964 to 1966
Macro-Takumar 1:4/50
367, 43670

1: Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 1x magification (this lens)
2: Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification
3: Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification

Super-Macro-Takumar (first photo):
Super-Macro-Takumar 50mm F4
M42 Stop-down Pin

1966 to 1971
Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50
910, 43910, 43911
The latest production run, product number 43912, supports open aperture meeting with the Spotmatic F, ES and ESII
1: Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 1x magification
2: Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification (this lens)
3: Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification

Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR (third, fourth and fifth photo)
Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-Takumar 50mm F4
M42 Open-aperture Metering

Not needed
1971 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

1: Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 1x magification
2: Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification
3: Super-Multi-Coated MACRO-TAKUMAR 1:4/50, up to 0.5x magnification (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 28

Registered: October, 2009
Lens Review Date: December 3, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, 1:1, Sharp, deeply recessed front element
Cons: Sensitive to moire, tends to underexpose
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

This is the 1:1 preset version. It should probably have it's own thread, as it skews the average purchase price for the rest of the lenses. At time of this review, prices for the 1:1 version can be over $300.00 depending on the cosmetic condition, while the 1:5 versions can be had for $50-75.00.

This is a lovely light little lens. It's sharp. My copy tends to underexpose a half stop to a stop. Not a huge problem with the K-1 if you forget to compensate.

When I get a lens, I always take a picture of my laptop LCD screen. Pictures had a slight a rainbow moire pattern at 1:1. I don't see the issue with my newer 1:1 macro. Would probably go away if one uses the filter simulator when using the K-1. So you might need to be careful shooting patterns.

It has a nice long throw, so critical focusing is easy. Assuming you already have the M42 to K mount, it's probably the least expensive way to get a nice 1:1 macro lens.

Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 1:1, on Flickr

Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 1:1 - Crop, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2010
Location: TAIWAN
Lens Review Date: May 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 1:1, Low contrast, exquisite
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: PENTAX

I own version Macro-Talumar 1:4/50 (preset, 1:1), 50mm macro lens of choice (except F 50 / 2.8 MACRO), happily useing.

Registered: October, 2013
Location: Kent

Lens Review Date: February 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $115.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent in all respects
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon eos 50D

This review is for the the first (preset) version. I purchased this lens in good used condition in 2014 and have rarely taken it off the camera over the last year.
I have owned a lot of different macro lenses in the past but none of them have performed as well as this one.
Being the 1:1 version makes it incredibly versatile and I find the preset diaphragm really easy to use with my Canon digital camera.
With a little practice using it handheld even when very close is very easy.

I haven't done a direct comparison with the SMC version but I cant believe it would give any sharper, brighter or more contrasty results than mine.
I think the 1:1 is probably a better feature to have rather than SMC.

I would suggest to anyone if you see the first version at the right price then go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Registered: March, 2015
Location: Oklahoma

Lens Review Date: March 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARPEST, color saturation, contrast, no CA, no distortion
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-500 and 5 older bodies

I bought this Macro Takumar 50mm f4 in 1979 and have used it on M-42 film cameras,
PK-mount film cameras, and now two DSLRs. I commend the corporate culture of Pentax
for considering backward compatibility as having value. I appreciate efficiency, which
includes getting full use from assets. Top quality and top performing lenses are assets.
I have every intention of using this lens as long as I have a camera with the ability to
mount it. Mine is the old one that goes 1:1 without tubes on 35mm format, and even beyond
on current DSLRs like my K-500.

Registered: March, 2014
Lens Review Date: February 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent sharpness from f/4
Cons: Comparatively slow lens
Sharpness: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7

The SMC Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 is a great lens optically and mechanically. As expected for a macro lens, it is very sharp across most of the frame at f/4, and even sharper at f/5.6. FF edges and corners are just a tad worse, but at f/8 the entire image is sharp.

The biggest downside to this lens is that it is only f/4, which makes it less attractive as a normal lens when macro capabilities are not needed.

Location: California
Lens Review Date: January 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Greatest Macro Ever - Sharp and 1:1
Cons: None so far
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Kx, K5, K3

I had both versions of the lens the SMC Tak50/4, and the Macro-Tak50/4 (preset). I am evaluating both, although the preset is my main guide. I have had both lenses for several years, and I am surprised that I only use the preset when I need some special real macro, things too small or so. It is the best. I also use it with added tubes and bellows (and of course flash). For walks around, I use the Vivitar 105/2.4 or the Tamron 90/2.8 AF. If you find the Macro-Tak preset, get it.

Macro-Takumar50mmf4=ExtensionTubes-Tornillo1-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Macro-Takumar 50mmf4-MacroPreset+ExtensionTubes@f4-PlugTerminals1-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

S-M-C Takumar 50mmf4-Macro@f4-Buganvilia-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

you can also use this lens for product photography, it is so sharp:

S-M-C Takumar 50mmf4-Macro&Refconverter-A@f4-frutas1-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Registered: January, 2014
Lens Review Date: December 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build, unique star bokeh
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-01

I recently picked up the Macro-Takumar 50mm f4 (preset version) . I am truly in love with this lens! The all-metal build quality is superb, and it is a dream to use with its' long focus throw and smooth operation. I'm amazed a lens this old can be so sharp. I also happen to love the bokeh though I can understand why it's not to everyone's taste. I haven't owned too many macro lenses so I can't really draw any comparisons, but I am very happy with it so far; easily my favorite lens. Here's a sample from a short walk through the garden to show what it can do on my Pentax K-01.

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, sharp, no aberrations on APS-C
Cons: small MFD, 5 aperture blades
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

The Asahi Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 is an excellent macro lens. Mechanically and optically the lens does not leave to be desired for anything more - the lens is ergonomic, easy to use and very sharp all over the APS-C frame at any given aperture. The background blur is soft and smooth even taking into account that this is not a fast lens. There are no visible optical aberrations with the APS-C sensor. The maximum magnification ratio of 1:2 is the same as that of most of modern macro lenses with similar focal lengths of 40-60 mm.

If you will ask me how can you compare this lens with 1:4/100 model, then, in my opinion, the image quality that can be obtained when using these macro lenses is more or less the same. Thanks to twice the minimum focusing distance the 1:4/100 model is better suited for professional macro shooting: the housing of the lens does not cast a shadow on the subject and is far enough to not to scare the insects and make them run away from the frame.

My review of S-M-C Macro-Takumar 1:4/50 (ultimate version) with test pics at different apertures:

And this is my review of this lens on a full-frame camera:

Registered: July, 2012

Lens Review Date: July 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colourful, exquisitely engineered
Cons: f4, more fragile than S-M-C's
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3, K-01

The Macro Takumar 50/4 celebrates its 50th birthday this year.

Recently, I used the early 1:1 preset version every day for a month on the Single in Challenge, and all I can say is Ďwowí. What a great lens Takumar made back in 1964. Physically the lens is a small gem, and itís a joy to use. The end results are beautiful, even by the standards of todayís macros.

Itís not the easiest lens to master, and thatís part of the fun. First of all, f4 is a bit slow for some kinds of macro work with only natural light. With live view/zoom itís really not a problem seeing/focusing. But Iíd have liked a faster lens to combat very slight movements in small objects. Secondly, my K-3 and K-01 simply canít meter the very deep-set glass accurately for up-close shots outside, and tends to over exposure across the frame, resulting in blow-outs. However, that's not a con worth dwelling on for me, as macro is much better manually metered.

After some trial and error on subjects and settings, youíll find the lens produces stunning images. Very sharp and very colourful. At f4 the 50mm it can deliver very artistic images with surprisingly narrow DoF and super-smooth bokeh (see photo below). 10 for bokeh wide open, but closed down the blades become much more noticeable in the background and maybe not to everyone's taste.

The quality of build and engineering is outstanding. Having said this, there is one downside to the preset version, given its age. It has more moving parts, and is undoubtedly more fragile than later, and to me less desirable, S-M-C Takumars (not 1:1). So you have to be careful buying one unseen off the web.

I highly recommend the lens to anyone who wants a cheapish entry into macro photography, and a piece of history. It cost me around US$100. Itís worth every cent IMO. Itís one of those lenses youíll want to return to again and again. It is also a more than adequate walk around lens. Not quite in the same league as the Takumar 50/1.4, but close enough.

Here are a few photos of and by the lens, and if you're interested, a link to my Mac Tak 50/4 photos on Flickr. www.flickr.com/photos/95859572@N06/sets/72157644855700903/

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: April 23, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very compact and razor sharp even at F4
Cons: F4 is a bit slow, makes focusing a bit tricky soemetimes
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 10    Camera Used: Nikon D2Xs

Looking for a good macro lens on a tight budget, I stumbled on a very old version of this lens. It turned out to be the M-42 Macro Takumar 50mm F4 1:1-version (full macro enlargement), with the aperture control up front of the lens. There is also a 1:2 (half maginification) version, and there are also SMC K and maybe even M-versions of this great lens.

It still is in mint working condition, the sharpness is incredible.
Handling is smooth and silky, all components are solid metal, this lens is a definite winner!

Location: Storrs, Connecticut

Lens Review Date: January 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Practically everything!! My favorite lens, period!
Cons: A bit slow for some things but there's always a trade off.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-x and K-01

When I returned to photography after 35+ years, I began the search for that special combination that I once had with my K-1000 and the old Pentax 50mm (don't even remember which one it was now) that I simply wore out. I am embarrassed to admit how long I searched and how many 50 and 55 mm lenses I bought to find that magic. The SMC Macro Takumar 1:4/50 (with the Auto feature) has brought me home to that feeling of wonder and creativity that I'd lost in my photography. Where once I had eagle vision (think Ted Williams), I'm now over 70 and although I don't need glasses to drive, I find that I can't focus as well, as accurately as I once did.

Enter the K-01. The focus peaking feature is fantastic! Never mind that the K-01 is a brick and everybody loves to hate it. Focus peaking combined with a hood and a stunning manual lens like the SMC Macro Takumar 1:4/50 is a combination that puts this old lady back in the game. Thank you Pentax and Takumar for fantastic engineering. I'm a very, very happy woman!

Lens Review Date: November 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colorfull
Cons: Slow in some conditions
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

I bought this lens as i came up on ebay for a ok price.
Had no expectations of what so ever, but now itīs one of my favourite lenses to create art from the "little world" or beautiful details.
Also itīs very sharp even for non close ups.

Sharpness, bokeh, Colors..
I let some pictures talk for it.

Registered: September, 2012

Lens Review Date: June 15, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $145.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: compact, sharp, natural colours
Sharpness: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K20D

I bought the lens from USA for $145 including continental shipment. The lens, being compact and relatively lightweight (with respect to 100mm f2.8 macros) is very handy for daily usage.
This macro is the detail of a red horse chestnut. It is a stack of 17 shots combined with zerene stacker software.

Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: January 28, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp , natural color rendering
Cons: None !
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon EOS 7D

I had this lens only for 3 weeks from a "hardware snob" , and fell in love with it.
In color rendering, it out-perform my Macro EFL 100mm/f2.8

The lens just perform so great ... manual handling is just no big deal at all.

Paul

Lens Review Date: December 1, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness, contrast, color rendering
Cons: slow
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 550D

I have the SMC version of this lens, one of the best 50 macro lens i've ever tried.

Recommended..!!

Add Review of S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!