Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

43 215,900 Sun January 15, 2017

S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5

This is the second set of 135 mm F3.5 lenses, consisting of two variants. This set has just four optical elements, whereas the first set had five elements (see the separate entry for the four variants of the first set).

Super-Takumar 1:3.5/135 (model 2) - coarse ribs on aperture ring (second photo):
Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 (model 2)
M42

1: Takumar 135mm F3.5, chrome and black, close focus 200 cm
2: Auto-Takumar 135mm F3.5
3: Takumar 135mm F3.5, all black, close focus 150 cm
4: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 1, same 5 element optics as the predecessors
5: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 2, 4 element optical design (this lens)

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135 (first photo):
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm F3.5
M42
M42 Open-aperture Metering

Metal hood
59.5 x 87.5 mm
1971 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/135
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

1: Takumar 135mm F3.5, chrome and black, close focus 200 cm
2: Auto-Takumar 135mm F3.5
3: Takumar 135mm F3.5, all black, close focus 150 cm
4: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 1, same 5 element optics as the predecessors
5: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 2, 4 element optical design
6: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm F3.5, same 4 element optical design as the latest Super-Takumar (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 43

Registered: July, 2016
Location: New York, NY.
Lens Review Date: January 15, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, lightweight, snappy, sharp.
Cons: None so far.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a6000 + Zhongyi focal reducer

I've got two copies of this lens from an estate sale. Both perform equally good.
These lenses are small and light, easy to handle.
Not a fast lens, being f/3.5 the widest aperture, you'll need good natural light to shoot handheld or tripod otherwise.

PICTURES BELOW ARE UNEDITED.

Shot at f/3.5 with natural light.

Shot at f/8 with natural light.

Shot at f/3.5 with flash bounce.

Registered: June, 2016
Location: Dhaka

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $34.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything
Cons: Struggles in low light
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k50

My copy is Super Takumar 135mm, this is my first vintage lens and loving it since I got it in my hand. Not that sharpest lens out in the market but with some basic editing and you can have the best result. Bokeh is superb and better than a lot of "Digital" lenses. Handling is easy, very easy...nice long focus ring with "neaty" aperture control. Check out the photos, I have taken my best photos with this lens (Well, I'm not a good photographer after all)

Registered: February, 2016
Lens Review Date: February 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Mechanically state of the art. Decent iq
Cons: Lacks character. Long mfd
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: Eos 450, k-5

A fine lens, with brilliant built and smoooth focussing ring. It does not excel at anything, but it is balanced and reliable. IQ wide open is slightly inferior to jupiter 37A, but stopped down they are similar. Colors are also similar, warmish.
The main downside is long mfd, 1.50m.
I feel it lacks character, if this means anything, and it does not appeal to me that much, but it's just a subjective opiniůn.

Registered: February, 2016

Lens Review Date: February 11, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness, handling
Cons: none that i can think at the moment
Sharpness: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 1200D with focus confirmation chip

First of all. sorry if my english isn't very good.
I give this lens a 9 because my lack of experience. It could be better, or worse.
For the price i have paid, i couldn't ask for more. Here in Brazil lenses are expensive, very expensive, so thanks to you guys and the reviews i've read in this forum i've decided to go face first in the takumar world.
I've bought the Super Takumar version, with the f4 stop mark on the apperture ring. So it's old.
Old but gold. It's in almost mint condition, with very very light marks on the body. The focusing ring is smoth and the glass is cristal clear. Sure ir have a lot of dust, but i've never saw any of it in any picture.
When i unboxed i wasn't able to believe a lens so old could be in so magnific shape (until i got my 55 takumar that is mint). I've got it with lens hood and back cap for 260 BRL
The focus confirmation chip on my eos adaptador helps a lot. Without it would probably miss 9 out of 10 shots.
The lens is everything everybody talked about earlier. I can't say anything that wasn't said before.
On a canon cropped body the metering is wonky, but most of the time I can put on A mode, and set the exposure compensation to +2/3 to nail the exposure. If the exposure isn't nailed then a darktable magic can save the raw files.
I'm a begginer, and so, i would never get something focal lenght so sharp at my bugdet.
I will leave some pictures of it, but they are mere snapshots compared to most of the work i've seen in this thread.
Thank you guys for posting so much information about this lens. Without you i would be saving for buying a canon EF-S lens that would be nowhere close to this beautiful takumar.

Registered: January, 2016
Location: Warsaw
Lens Review Date: January 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: Light, price.
Cons: Coating, slow.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3

A few months ago I had a Super Takumar. This is a cheap, light lens. But slow and a average coating.

Comparing to MC Sonnar 135mm f/3.5 this lens is good but nothing special. But MC Sonnar is not a holy grail. Holy grail is a SMC Pentax-K 135mm f/2.5 or MC Biometar 120mm f/2.5 from Pentacon Six (6x6)...

Registered: February, 2015

Lens Review Date: October 16, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, Handling, IQ, and stuff
Cons: Slow, if that is important to you
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 6D

I wanted this lens for a bit, and saw it at a local thrift store, what luck. I am guessing that people do not like that it is f3.5. I love it, I can get contrast and color without geometrical bokeh. 6d only goes down to 1/4000. It is a day time lens with good control wide open due to the size. I have a 135 f2.5 tak, I hate it, I have to stop down to 3.5 to 5.6 alway, at that point forget it, the bokeh is too razor sharp. Also, all I shoot are tak's, this one unlike the larger 135 is that same 49mm thread, so not only does it fit the same stuff as the 50mm and 105mm, they feel the exact same. When you only manually focus that is so important. More important than contrast, sharpness, and well anything. Glad these lens have it all. The shot below is unedited, there is come C/A. But better than a lot of other good tak's I have.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Jakarta
Lens Review Date: June 4, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: built, fast, value, small, good sharpness, color rendering
Cons: none so far
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5, A7

like most lens Takumar which has metal body, this lens also has excellent built quality
mine is late version, has complete full set with hood and case, this lens has fast focusing, mediocre sharpness, very good aberrations, becoming very sharp in stop down

here they are some samples shoots:

Location: Cirebon
Lens Review Date: January 17, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, Lightweight, Sharpness, Colors, Small

Don't worry to use this lens at wide open.

Registered: November, 2014
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Lens Review Date: December 7, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, feel
Cons: manual focus, M42 mount would not focus to infinity
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3, K-m

I bought this lens used on eBay just to see what all the Super Takumar hype was all about. Well let me say the hype is well deserved. I absolutely loved this lens in "medium" distances. I can't put my finger exactly on it but this lens allowed me to take some really classic looking photographs. Even a quick snapshot of one of my cats walking into the kitchen gained a magical quality.

Edit: I am updating my review because I have an adapter that will allow this lens to go to infinity focus. My previous adapter would not. Now that I've had a chance to walk around with this lens I am moving the rating higher to a perfect '10' overall. This is just a beautiful lens and the photos I can take with it are razor sharp especially when the lens is stopped down. I would not hesitate to recommend this lens to anyone.

The original of the photo below is much better. The jpeg does not do it justice but nevertheless I love the magic this lens produced.

Registered: October, 2014
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, sharp, almost no aberrations on APS-C
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

The Asahi Super-Takumar 1:3.5/135 (late version) is very interesting manual focus telephoto lens when used with APS-C sensor. It is reasonably priced and for the money you receive the focal length of 135 mm, narrow depth of field, beautiful bokeh and very smooth background blur at F/3.5 and sharp images at every aperture.

My review of my copy of the lens with shots at different apertures:

Registered: October, 2013
Lens Review Date: May 28, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $89.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: bokeh good and good value
Cons: sharpness less
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: used

Price is cheaper compare with Takumar135 F2.5. But I think it is a good lens for portrait. And also you can use it for street photography. Consider the low price and the good enough performance I recommend the lens to who have the limited budget.
At last share some photo I taken by Takumar135 F3.5.

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Ancona - Marche - Italy

Lens Review Date: January 10, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful colors, enought sharp, nice bokeh, small size, great build as all old Takumar
Cons: Nothing for me
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

I also have the Super Takumar 135 f2.5, but I buy the Super Takumar 135 f3.5 to complete my fantastic collection of Takumar. I wanted to write this review because I was positively surprised by the image quality of this lens, which I think is underappreciated compared to its features. Certainly it is not fast as the 2.5, but still a very good lens.
My copy is in mint condition, like new and I always use the hood
The following images show what I'm saying.

PENTAX K-5 + Super Takumar 135 f3.5 @ f3.5

PENTAX K-5 + Super Takumar 135 f3.5 @ f8

The photos was resized to 600px... for more details see my Pentax Gellery: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/Toonik

Location: Benson, AZ
Lens Review Date: July 18, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Light and tiny! Fantastic colors
Cons: Slow, soft wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K100d, ME Super

This is a fantastic lens, and the lens that made me abandon my manual Nikon gear. My ME Super with this lens on it weighs less than just the body of my old Nikon.

Sharpness is great... stopped down. It's quite soft @ 3.5 (see B&W image below). At 5.6 things are better, but if you shoot low ISO or slow film, this can make hand holding challenging. Aberrations seem to be almost gone at 5.6, and totally gone at 8.

Bokeh is pretty good-- nothing fantastic. If I need great Bokeh I'd probably opt for something faster, though.

The weight and size make this handle fantastically, but the very long focus throw makes it a bit tough to shoot anything that moves. Also, the slowness can make focusing tough. With a contrast filter or polarizer on it the split-prism and microprism are useless for focusing. Works great with Aperture Priority on the ME Super and K100d, but the K100d needs +1.5 of ev compensation.

Overall this is the tele for anywhere near this price range. If you're interested, just get one. It's pocket change compared to some of the new teles.

Here are a couple images:

@ 3.5 -- Sorry about the dusty scan, I can't keep dust off of things for more than 15 seconds in AZ. Ilford FP4+ in D76 1:1-- softer than it should be.

@ 5.6-- much sharper, but still could use another stop to get better.

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: March 11, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, small size and great build.
Cons: No SMC coatings and a bit slow. Minimum aperture of f22.
Camera Used: Spotmatic

This review is for the 1963: Super-Takumar 1:3.5/135 (early)

Iím basing my review of this lens against my 50+ Pentax K-mount lenses, specifically the K135/3.5.

The ST135/3.5 seems to be a bit sharper than the K135/3.5, this could be due to the extra lens element in the Takumar. (5 elements for the ST135/3.5 and 4 for the K135/3.5) The K135/3.5 handles flare better due the SMC coatings.

The K135/3.5 also has a better minimum aperture of f32.

Overall I would rate the ST135/3.5 the same as the K135/3.5 which is an 8.

Note: I got my ST135/3.5 as part of a camera kit, so I canít estimate the individual price for the lens.

Sample shots taken with the ST135/3.5. Photos are medium resolution scans from original negatives.

Camera: SP Film: Fuji Superia ISO: 200

Camera: SP Film: Kodak Gold ISO: 200

Lens Review Date: December 29, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Image, build quality and great feel
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Image quality filming
Add Review of S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!