Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

8.2
47 285,676 Sat October 12, 2019

S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5

This is the second set of 135 mm F3.5 lenses, consisting of two variants. This set has just four optical elements, whereas the first set had five elements (see the separate entry for the four variants of the first set).

Super-Takumar 1:3.5/135 (model 2) - coarse ribs on aperture ring (second photo):
Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 (model 2)
M42

1: Takumar 135mm F3.5, chrome and black, close focus 200 cm
2: Auto-Takumar 135mm F3.5
3: Takumar 135mm F3.5, all black, close focus 150 cm
4: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 1, same 5 element optics as the predecessors
5: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 2, 4 element optical design (this lens)

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135 (first photo):
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm F3.5
M42
M42 Open-aperture Metering

Metal hood
59.5 x 87.5 mm
1971 (start of production)
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/135
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

1: Takumar 135mm F3.5, chrome and black, close focus 200 cm
2: Auto-Takumar 135mm F3.5
3: Takumar 135mm F3.5, all black, close focus 150 cm
4: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 1, same 5 element optics as the predecessors
5: Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5, model 2, 4 element optical design
6: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135mm F3.5, same 4 element optical design as the latest Super-Takumar (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 47

Registered: July, 2013
Location: Ancona - Marche - Italy

Lens Review Date: January 10, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Beautiful colors, enought sharp, nice bokeh, small size, great build as all old Takumar
Cons: Nothing for me
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

I also have the Super Takumar 135 f2.5, but I buy the Super Takumar 135 f3.5 to complete my fantastic collection of Takumar. I wanted to write this review because I was positively surprised by the image quality of this lens, which I think is underappreciated compared to its features. Certainly it is not fast as the 2.5, but still a very good lens.
My copy is in mint condition, like new and I always use the hood
The following images show what I'm saying.

PENTAX K-5 + Super Takumar 135 f3.5 @ f3.5

PENTAX K-5 + Super Takumar 135 f3.5 @ f8

The photos was resized to 600px... for more details see my Pentax Gellery: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/Toonik

Location: Port Angeles, WA
Lens Review Date: July 18, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Light and tiny! Fantastic colors
Cons: Slow, soft wide open
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K100d, ME Super

This is a fantastic lens, and the lens that made me abandon my manual Nikon gear. My ME Super with this lens on it weighs less than just the body of my old Nikon.

Sharpness is great... stopped down. It's quite soft @ 3.5 (see B&W image below). At 5.6 things are better, but if you shoot low ISO or slow film, this can make hand holding challenging. Aberrations seem to be almost gone at 5.6, and totally gone at 8.

Bokeh is pretty good-- nothing fantastic. If I need great Bokeh I'd probably opt for something faster, though.

The weight and size make this handle fantastically, but the very long focus throw makes it a bit tough to shoot anything that moves. Also, the slowness can make focusing tough. With a contrast filter or polarizer on it the split-prism and microprism are useless for focusing. Works great with Aperture Priority on the ME Super and K100d, but the K100d needs +1.5 of ev compensation.

Overall this is the tele for anywhere near this price range. If you're interested, just get one. It's pocket change compared to some of the new teles.

Here are a couple images:

@ 3.5 -- Sorry about the dusty scan, I can't keep dust off of things for more than 15 seconds in AZ. Ilford FP4+ in D76 1:1-- softer than it should be.

@ 5.6-- much sharper, but still could use another stop to get better.

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: March 11, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, small size and great build.
Cons: No SMC coatings and a bit slow. Minimum aperture of f22.
Camera Used: Spotmatic

This review is for the 1963: Super-Takumar 1:3.5/135 (early)

Iím basing my review of this lens against my 50+ Pentax K-mount lenses, specifically the K135/3.5.

The ST135/3.5 seems to be a bit sharper than the K135/3.5, this could be due to the extra lens element in the Takumar. (5 elements for the ST135/3.5 and 4 for the K135/3.5) The K135/3.5 handles flare better due the SMC coatings.

The K135/3.5 also has a better minimum aperture of f32.

Overall I would rate the ST135/3.5 the same as the K135/3.5 which is an 8.

Note: I got my ST135/3.5 as part of a camera kit, so I canít estimate the individual price for the lens.

Sample shots taken with the ST135/3.5. Photos are medium resolution scans from original negatives.

Camera: SP Film: Fuji Superia ISO: 200

Camera: SP Film: Kodak Gold ISO: 200

Lens Review Date: December 29, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Image, build quality and great feel
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Image quality filming

Lens Review Date: December 22, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: small, light, light focus, sharp at 3.5, easy to focus
Cons: low, long focus ring, not very good in details, minimum distance 1.5m
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: SONY A580

I like it, but the color is not really perfect,

DSC06489 by aohkz, on Flickr

DSC06514 by aohkz, on Flickr

DSC06469 by aohkz, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2012
Location: Tokyo
Lens Review Date: October 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, build quality, feel, longevity, optics
Cons: cant think of any
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K7

Just a superb compact telephoto lens. Well made, optically simple but well executed. Lovely to use. Results are excellent. My copy is very sharp, colours are good, contrast excellent even without the hood, bokeh very decent. So many of these around, and so cheap, it's worth buying one whatever your camera, as long as you can get an appropriate M42 mount adapter. Only Pentax SLRs ( I think ? ) will give you in-body stabilisation, so pick up a(nother) Pentax camera too !

Paul

Examples, shot handheld :

Daylight

Twilight

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Chicago IL USA

Lens Review Date: March 24, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros: Good image quality
Cons: Focal length always seems either too long or too short
Camera Used: Spotmatic IIa

The other reviews have much more useful information than I can provide. Personally I found the 135mm focal length to always be "wrong" ... either too long for portraits & indoor shots, or too short for outdoors long-distance work.

The lens is very well made like pretty much all SMC Takumar screw mount lenses and it always worked flawlessly... but even though 135mm is considered by many to be an ideal focal length, it never seemed to fit the kind of pix I was taking.

Location: The Earth
Lens Review Date: January 28, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build Quality, Real colours & contrast, size, weight....
Cons: Perhaps 3.5
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

Iīve got the Super Multi Coated one and I am very happy with it.
Here you can find a review of this lens: http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/eos350d_takumar135.html

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Ohio, USA/ India
Lens Review Date: June 7, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: build, IQ
Cons:

As with all takumars the build is just great with this lens. I particularly like how the size and weight of the lens make this amenable to bellows work (for macros).

Registered: April, 2010
Location: California
Lens Review Date: March 17, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $11.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, solid build, compact, easy to focus, an incredible bargain!
Cons: Long min focus distance, not that fast
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10

These were made in large quantities, so there is no shortage on the used market. I have the later 4/4 design Super-Takumar version as indicated by the number 43541 on the camera-facing side of the auto/man switch. For the price you pay it deserves a top rating, as it holds its own in image quality against much pricier primes. Where it falls a bit short is in the flexibility department - it is not very fast and you can't use it for anything closer than 1.5m away, but those are minor complaints given the small expense. Everybody should have one!

The Red, White and Blue by Ludger Solbach, on Flickr

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Baltimore

Lens Review Date: January 25, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, Easy Focus, IQ
Cons: Slow

I've got the Super-Takumar version of this lens (as well as the SMC Tak 135 2.5) and it's a real surprise! Purchased complete with Hood and Case.

The general IQ is very good to excellent, focusing this lens seems to be very easy and compared to the 135 2.5 version, this lens is ultra compact. With the Super-Takumar version, a hood is definitely needed, the OEM hood is at least 50% the length of the lens itself and really provides a good amount of stray light protection.

I am rating this a 9 but it's really in the 8.5 to 8.75 range. It does not lag far behind the 135 2.5, it's almost right there...

Registered: December, 2010
Lens Review Date: December 14, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Metal construction, just the right weight, large but still easy to carry around
Cons: Not THAT sharp

I just bought this lens, and I'm very very pleased with it.

I used it on a Spotmatic and a Canon XSi and the results on digital where fairly impressive. I took a few shots using film, I'll take them to my dark room to see how the lens behaves using 35mm.

I always use FP4 (ISO 125) and HP5 (ISO 400) and small apertures, I'll post a few of those when they're done.

So far, what I like the most about this lens is the physical side. It's made entirely of metal, it's heavy but still has just the right balance that makes it perfect to carry around all day while is still heavy enough to help you take a steady shot.

It's very responsive and sharp, but not THAT sharp, mi Canon 50 1,8 II is a little better in that departament.

Registered: January, 2008
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Lens Review Date: November 12, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small, light, sharp, great colours, inexpensive
Cons: a little slow

I have the SMC version, and it came with the original case, caps and hood. These 135s are common enough that prices are very reasonable.

I'm not wild about the 135mm focal length on aps-c sensors, but this is still a great lens for the price. I find the colours and sharpness are both quite striking.

Samples: http://www.flickr.com/photos/steinback/sets/72157625250788751/

Registered: October, 2010
Location: bangalore
Lens Review Date: November 7, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: sharp, contrasty colours
Cons:

HI i just bought htis lens. I t seems sharp and good in producing colours with sturation. I do not have other pentax lenses to compare but seems like good to me for the price i paid.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Southern England
Lens Review Date: July 13, 2010 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: N/A | Rating: 3

Pros: Beautifully made, a joy to focus
Cons: Mine's in no way sharp, probably my least sharp lens

I bought this along with a CZJ 135mm/3.5 Sonnar, and was thus able to make an instant comparison: the Zeiss was miles sharper, at all apertures, and had much better colour and contrast to boot. I was shocked!

(Actually, my CZJ is the only vintage lens I've seen which approaches modern-day Pentax colour/contrast, but that's another story.)

Incidentally, my lens is, I think, a Mk.1 Super-Takumar, which has 5 elements in 4 groups - as opposed to the later Super-Taks and S-M-C Taks (and Pentax-K) which are 4/4.

(Note that the Pentax-M has a 5-element, 5-group formula.)

I'd be interested to know if there appears to be a correlation between Mk.1/Mk.2 and IQ. I believe you can distinguish between the versions as follows:

Mk.1 has finer knurled aperture ring, which has a "4" marked between "5.6" and "3.5".

I'm sorry to have to give such a negative review. Maybe I've just got myself a bad copy - or possibly it's suffered from a bad "repair" some time in it's life. Anyway, if I ever come across a cheap S-M-C version, I shall buy it and hopefully be able to submit something more positive!
Add Review of S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!