Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4 Review RSS Feed

37 159,846 Fri August 11, 2017

S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4

This lens had an automatic diaphragm and came in two variants. The Super-Multi-Coated variant has open-aperture metering.

Super-Takumar 200mm F4

64.5 x 136 mm
1965 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:4/200
376, 376000, 43760, 43761
1: Super Takuamr 200mm F4 (this lens)
2: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200mm F4

1971 to 1975
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:4/200
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII
1: Super Takuamr 200mm F4
2: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200mm F4 (this lens)
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 37

Location: East Coast, Canada

Lens Review Date: November 4, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, Nice focus throw, Solid Construction
Cons: Little unbalanced when camera hanging around neck, some PF wide open

I got this lens used on eb@y. Nice lens on a dslr effectively making it a 300/4
This lens is quite sharp wide open but sharpens up nicely when stopped down to 5.6-8
It does however exhibit some purple fringing when shot in high contrast situations wide open. This is usually remedied by stopping down a click or two.
Overall a great medium telephoto and a great bargain on the second hand market.

Registered: September, 2012
Location: Tokyo

Lens Review Date: October 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, longevity, feel, optics, price
Cons: minor, but size and weight are getting up there
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K7

Another ridiculously cheap beautifully made Takumar. I don't use this one as much as the 135, because it's a little more noticeable in size and weight to carry around. But when I use it, the results are excellent. I've also taken to fitting it with a 2x Teleconverter for astrophotography. At 600mm equivalent on a K7, I get reasonable pictures of Jupiter including the Galilean moons. Not bad for something older than me.

Paul

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Lens Review Date: September 23, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, thin DOF, smooth bokeh
Cons: just a little slow, a little heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Spotmatic, K-x, K-r

I've had this SMC Takumar for 1 year, got it from a forum member. I had to take it apart because it was fungus ridden, but now it's free of problems. I didn't use it much, though, because I'm not that much of a tele shooter.
Optically, it's superb, even at f/4, although it has longitudinal color aberration (green in the background bokeh and magenta in the foreground). Its bokeh qualities are amazing, at almost any aperture.
I know people say that APS-C is better because you get longer reach with telephoto lenses, but honestly, I like the angle of view better on film.
And as usual, some photos to complement my review.

IMGP7419-5 by kcobain1992, on Flickr

27A_0064.jpg by kcobain1992, on Flickr

IMGP8934.jpg by kcobain1992, on Flickr

IMGP3113.jpg by kcobain1992, on Flickr

IMGP3612-2.jpg by kcobain1992, on Flickr

IMGP2653.jpg by kcobain1992, on Flickr

IMGP6197.jpg by kcobain1992, on Flickr

Location: Queensland

Lens Review Date: August 17, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Beautifully made and a pleasure to hold
Cons: Nothing in context, except the close range is a bit limiting.
Sharpness: 9    Handling: 6    Value: 8    Camera Used: Pentax K5

After putting this lens on my K5, I compared the results of a distant view out to an airport on the coast about 8 miles away. The other lenses were an M200 f4 and Pentax 'A' zoom 70-210 f4.
All the pictures over that distance have a scattered light haze, which is removed in one step in PhotoShopExpress. All the lenses performed very well, and the M42 gave nothing to the others. True it is heavier than the M200, but it feels so good to have that solid non plastic hunk in your hands, that it makes up for a little inconvenience.
Here is a link to the Tac 200 http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/7806382484/

The A 70-210 F4 http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/7348018952/

The M 200 F4 http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeomaster32/6935946724/

Arnold

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Ontario

Lens Review Date: June 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 7    Camera Used: Pentax Km

I have a Super Takumar 200mm F4 in which I purchased along with a Super Takumar 35mm F3.5 for $100.

I found this lens fairly heavy but solid in construction. It will most likely replace my Sigma APO 70-300mm for most trips as I find that at 200mm this lens is sharper than the Sigma at the equivalent focal length.

This is a solid performer and produces sharp and colourful images. I would definite recommend this for anyone looking for a longer length lens and want to keep the cost lower. Directly comparing the Sigma and this lens at 200mm this prime handles sharpness a lot better. The Sigma is a little bit slower also at F4.5 at 200mm compared to F4 for this lens.

Samples
(Non working links removed)

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Lens Review Date: May 15, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $51.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, easy to focus, good colors, wel-constructed
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K7

I have the Super-Takumar version from eBay.

It is heavy, so requires a good tripod, and might not be convenient for street photography.

This lens feels very good, which is subjective, of course.

Registered: January, 2007
Location: Toronto

Lens Review Date: November 14, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, and coatings
Cons: Considerable minimum focal distance,
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 8

I bought this lens more on a whim than any specific need. Lets just say that LBA got the better of me.

Having shot with it for about 4-5 months now on and off, I think I can make a reasonable assessment.

The lens does everything you would/should expect out of an SMC Takumar lens in terms of sharpness and image quality, even wide open, but I find that the minimum focal distance of 2.5 meters is a little on the long side compared to some other options I have available (Series 1 70-210F3.5)

Functionally, focusing is smooth over the 240 degree focus throw and the aperture stops are positive without being too firm.

One thing I did notice, and this will vary from user to user is that I find it close to the threshold for having my split image finder darkening out. The 1/2 stop difference between my other 200mm MF options, the Series 1 70-210/3.5 and my Takumar preset 200/3.5 is quite noticeable.

Lateral CA and longitudinal CA is quite comparable to other Taks of this era

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Delaware

Lens Review Date: September 13, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $24.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, price, easy to clean
Cons: It's a screw mount, weight, long focus throw
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

I got this lens at a thrift shop, including the case and metal lens hood. I can't say enough good things about it. Pretty cool to be able to use a 40 year old lens on a modern camera. Very sharp, good colors, good bokeh. Just a good lens.

Location: California

Lens Review Date: August 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, sharp, useful, no PF, no sun, no aberrations
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I have both, the SMC and the Super Takumar versions (I also have the Pentax K 200 f4). I love both of these two lenses for the reasons expressed above by others. I use this lens on a Kx and has replaced my 300mm f2.8 that is too heavy. The bokeh is great. No signs of CA, or PF. That is a great thing. I will post pics soon.
---------------------------

SMCTakumar200mmf4-RedIbis by Palenquero, on Flickr

SMCTakumar200mmf4-GrapeLeaves1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

SMCTakumar200mmf4-abcdef3-2 by Palenquero, on Flickr

(Non working link removed)

SMCTakumar200mmf4-Blackbird by Palenquero, on Flickr

SMCTakumar200mmf4-Plumeria by Palenquero, on Flickr

SMCTakumar200mmf4-Eagle by Palenquero, on Flickr

Registered: June, 2010

Lens Review Date: July 15, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 6

Pros: very cheap, easy to find
Cons: stop down metering, long and heavy
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 6

For a cheap lens not a bad performer. I didn't own any other 200mm lens so i could only compare it to Pentax K 135/2.5 and M*300/4. Both lenses outperform Takumar easily in image quality, but K lens is like twice the price and M four times that expensive. Interestingly i took images of K135+2xteleconverter and they were still slightly sharper than photos from Takumar.

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Ohio, USA/ India

Lens Review Date: June 1, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: N/A

Pros: IQ
Cons: a bit heavy

Do not let the cheap asking price of this lens fool you. This is one of the most overlooked takumar (in my opinion). From my own experience I put off using this tak quite a while. Maybe the lens was too heavy to carry around? Maybe there were other telephoto AF lenses always available and prevented me from trying this out? Whatever the reason, within a year or two of buying this I put his up for sale. In order to upload a sample image in the 'for sale' thread I went out and shot extensively on my K20D and came back with fantastic pictures. Thankfully, I withdrew the lens before someone seriously committed to buying the lens. I doubt that i will let it go.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Lens Review Date: December 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good quality affordable prime, very solidly build with excellent optical properties
Cons: Sort of a no-manís land focal length with film cameras, colors are a little muted, focus throw is long, minimal focusing distance is quite far (2.5m)

Why: High quality, affordable telephoto prime, very Pentax, and the reason I stayed with the brand. 200mm became one of my favourite focal lengths after owning this lens. A little useless on film (IMHO), but a very nice length on digital.

Build Quality: This lens is a tak through and through. Very nice butter focusing but with extra size. Very nicely build and inspires confidence. My lens have oily blades (and is the reason for the cheap price) but it doesnít affect its use on K-mount bodies

Usability: Obviously 200mm is quite a specific use lens. My favourite use for this lens is surprisingly for landscape. I often use it when I can get a good vantage point and isolate objects far away. Iím sure some people will find use for it in street situations, but imho holding a 200mm and manual focusing at someone bound to get you noticed. Manual focusing with this lens takes some time due to the long throw. I think using the DA 50-300mm would be better in those cases as it has AF and still performs decently at this length.

Focus throw is considerably long, which allows for accurate focusing but can be good or bad depending on your demands. Size is big but not unreasonably so. One caveat though is that since itís all-metal, itís a little hard to use in cold weather as it loses heat faster than the Pentax K-5 can lock focus. This doesnít keep me from using it as it is one of my to-go lenses in winter when itís hard to shoot anything at shorter lengths.

Optical quality: Sharp lens, definitely much better than the DA50-200mm at 200mm. Resolution is also much better. Color is a little muted compared to the DA zoom, and to be honest even though you increase the saturation, it will not get to the DA colors. The colors that results from increasing saturation is still quite nice though. Stopping down after 5.6 doesnít seem to give it much benefit as itís already quite good at its widest. Bokeh is decent; focusing at objects up to 5 meters away will still give you some bokeh, which is a property of the long focal length. I havenít experienced any CA with this lens. Flare is not a problem with the super deep hood and the fact that at 200mm itís rare for the sun to be in the frame unless you intentionally wish it to be so.

Conclusion: Donít have money for DA* 200mm and donít need AF? Get this lens, you wonít be disappointed.

20090226-9096 train station by endiro, on Flickr

20090728-2039 by endiro, on Flickr

20090728-2021 by endiro, on Flickr

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL

Lens Review Date: September 29, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: A Classic Tak!!!
Cons: A little difficult to focus

I have the Super Multi Coated version, and if you're at all familiar with the build and IQ of these older M42 Taks, what more can one say? It's the real deal.

I don't find this a particularly useful focal length for what I do, too long, but if I ever have to go beyond 135, this is the one to reach for. It's a bit of a challenge getting spot-on focus with it, but this just might be my lousy skills--or too many Budweisers. Perhaps the very long focus throw--which allows for more precise focusing--is a bit of a negative for moving subjects until you learn to master it.

As someone posted above, I think you can do some outstanding outdoor portrait work with this baby, or indoor if you want to go real tight.

Anyway, like all my Taks, these will get passed on to the grandkids when MY kids HAVE kids!

One sample of my 200:

(Non working link removed)

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Seattle

Lens Review Date: August 8, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build, cost, image quality
Cons: none unless you need automation

All Takumar lenses are exceptionally well built with strong optics. The M42 lenses stay in their adapters and work quite well. The lens is made for manual focus and has a large focus ring and a long throw for focus that works. I sold a Zeiss 200 3.5 in a C/Y mount and held onto this lens. Smaller, less expensive and a great way to get this focal length.

Registered: May, 2008
Location: Virginia

Lens Review Date: February 21, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: superb sharpness and resolution, extremely natural color, excellent build quality

This is the best lens I have ever used. I own the Super-Takumar version, and I use the lens with the Takumar screw-in metal hood. I find no faults with my photographs taken with this lens. I have owned and used lenses from all of the major Japanese manufacturers--Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Olympus, and Pentax. The S-T 200/4 is my favorite.
Add Review of S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!