Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes
S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4 Review RSS Feed

37 160,098 Fri August 11, 2017

S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4

This lens had an automatic diaphragm and came in two variants. The Super-Multi-Coated variant has open-aperture metering.

Super-Takumar 200mm F4

64.5 x 136 mm
1965 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:4/200
376, 376000, 43760, 43761
1: Super Takuamr 200mm F4 (this lens)
2: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200mm F4

1971 to 1975
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:4/200
Open aperture metering with Spotmatic F, ES and ESII
1: Super Takuamr 200mm F4
2: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200mm F4 (this lens)
Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-37 of 37

Registered: January, 2010

Lens Review Date: February 3, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $54.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, easy to focus, cost

This Lens was awesome, It took beautiful shots. I only hand fringing on one The bellagio pic. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomshue first 2 pages or so are for all with the lens on a OLY e-620 (sorry pentax people) I love 4thirds. I like this lens so much I have 2 more on the the, the 85-210 a 28mm and 55mm

Registered: December, 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial

Lens Review Date: June 12, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: build, image quality
Cons: f/4 is a bit dark sometimes
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9

This was my everyday tele when I used the Spotmatic
Excellent quality of construction, and great rendition of tones

If you are brave I recommend you try portraits with this one, mostly wide open outdoors.

When used with a 1.7x converter the sharpness is gone

Blades can become oily after a while, and need a technician to cure them

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Zetten - The Netherlands

Lens Review Date: May 31, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, colour rendition, built quality
Cons: weight

My copy is the Super Takumar version, and I use it on my K20d. I am very much surprised by the optical quality of this lens. I find it sharp even wide open, and the colours are rich and natural. As expected from a long lens, DOF is very little, and this might cause the report of 'soft' wide open shots. However, the long focus throw makes exact focussing easy.

The built quality of this lens is old fashioned: built like a tank, all metal - and thus not very light -, and a pleasure to use (although I have no experience with tanks in this last respect...). Probably the max aperture of f/4.0 is a little slow, but SR of my K20 will quarantee tack sharp shots, even with slower shutter speeds.

All in all, I would highly recommend this lens. Optically it can't be beaten very easilly, and it's worth a multitude of it's money if you'd ask me. Buy it if you find one, and if you don't bother MF!

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Lens Review Date: December 8, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $28.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bult like the proverbial Brick Outhouse, Sharpness
Cons: Weight

I have the Super Takumar version and to date have only used it with film bodies. (Spotmatic and Ricoh KR5-Super II fitted with a Screwmount converter.)
Results on film have been very pleasing. AN excellent lens for long range outdoor events.
I have no doubt that it will be a very good lens with my new K200D.
This link is to a photo taken with the Spotmatic body. Fuji Superia200 film. f4 setting.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Toronto

Lens Review Date: August 1, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: All around good IQ, long focus throw, X factor
Cons: Slight fringing with high contrast and wide open apterture

Surprisingly nice lens for the money. Mine is the Super Takumar version and I'm very impressed with it on my K10D.

I personally like the longer focus throw of older lenses as it makes things so much easier to really hone in on the subject. Hyperfocusing is much easier with a longer throw as well (the lens of course includes hyperfocal markings from f4-22).

IQ is terrific for a ~$40 piece of glass, with a lens hood it is easy to avoid the fringing/glow by stopping down 2-3 stops, f8-11 are of course optimal all around, but the IQ at even f4 in full sun is marvelous if proper care is taken in composing.

Giving this a 9 for the X factor and because the lens is really worth much much more than I paid for it. Puts other photographers on tilt when I mention the price too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamonation/2721747416/ (100% crop of the first)

Edit: found some other people using this lens on their Canon and Olympus bodies, I can vouch for it's ease of use on the K10D. http://flickr.com/photos/tags/supertakumar200mmf4/

Registered: September, 2007
Location: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

Lens Review Date: September 3, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Beautiful Super Takumar Colour/Contrast, stunning bokeh, razor sharp (stopped down ) built solid enough for time travel!!
Cons: It is pretty heavy, I'd cut off a finger to make this an 'A'

I bought this lens at a 'Cash Converters' ( aka pawn shop ), which is a great place to satisfy my L.B.A., and mine is MINT, the glass is perfect.....must have come out of someones collection.

It came with both original caps, and the screw mount sun shade.....AND the original Leather case!

Its a beautiful prime for taking pics of 'things'.....tough to keep up with my 6 and 4 year old girls though ( manual focus is very smooth, but I agree with the other review....it is a long throw from infinity to 8' ) .

Super Takumars just seem to 'pop' ( colour, contrast, sharpness, warmth ) The images print almost seem 3-D? I waited a long time for my K100D and my ever growing collection of SMC Super Tak's never let me down.

Highly recommended for the right price ( I got mine for $60 Cnd and the guy threw in a Vivitar m42 135mm f2.8 !! )

I'd pay $100 in a minute again and again and again.

JS

Registered: September, 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA

Lens Review Date: April 16, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $37.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid build, Good sharpness, contrast, and bokeh.
Cons: Heavy, Long focus throw (but smooth)

The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 200mm f/4 lens is solidly built, like almost all the older Pentax lenses. It's a bit heavy, but you get use to it after a while and it's not really a walkaround lens anyway. Photos are sharp and color contrast is there as well. Wide open, there is some "glow" around high light areas and occasionally purple fringing under certain lighting conditions - nothing extreme and hardly noticeable. Bokeh is nice and smooth (subjective). Focusing is good, but the ring feels a bit heavier compared to my A50mm 1.7 which is smooth but quick - not too big of an issue. Overall a great prime and recommended if you can find one cheap.

My sample photos from this lens can be found in this thread.
Add Review of S-M-C/Super Takumar 200mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!