Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax M42 Screwmount Lenses » M42 Screwmount Extreme Wide-Angle Primes
S-M-C/Super Takumar 24mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

7.3
 8.1
11 91,701 Sat August 13, 2016

S-M-C/Super Takumar 24mm F3.5

This wide angle lens was produced in both Super-Multi-Coated (1st photo) and Super versions (2nd photo). They are optically identical.

Super-Takumar 24mm F3.5
M42
M42 Stop-down Pin

Square clip-on type
1967 to 1971
Super-Takumar 1:3.5/24

1: Super-Takumar 1:3.5/24 (this lens)
2: Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/24

1972 to 1976
Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/24
Open aperture metering on Spotmatic F, ES and ESII

1: Super-Takumar 1:3.5/24
2: Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:3.5/24 (this lens)

Manual FocusAperture RingFull-Frame SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of S-M-C/Super Takumar 24mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-11 of 11

Registered: August, 2015
Lens Review Date: August 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $190.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Outstanding mechanical quality
Cons: Soft, not suitable for digital
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 7    Camera Used: Sony A7, A7r

I owned the Super-Multi-Coated version. The harsh rating is for use on a modern digital camera (Sony A7 and A7r). I can't speak to how this lens does on film.

Mechanically, this is a very nice lens. The ergonomics aren't quite as good as the 28mm Takumar, but it's still a joy to hold. I loved it, and I really wanted it to be a lens I could use. Unfortunately, I had to sell it again because it was weak on my camera in comparison to other film era 24mm lenses I used (Canon FD -- prime and zoom). Optically, it's better than the 28mm (which is terrible on a modern digital sensor), but not nearly as good as the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 35mm/3.5, which is still entirely usable today.

Location: Skåne, Sweden

Lens Review Date: August 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality, scale focusing, lasts forever
Cons: Not that special on APS-C
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

This review is for a mint condition S-M-C 24/3.5 bought second-hand in Sweden.

PROS
  • Great build quality
  • Fun to use
  • Proper feel in manual focus ring
  • Great for scale focusing
  • Very sharp in center and reasonable in corners

CONS
  • Not that special focal length on APS-C

I USE IT FOR
  • General wide angle on APS-C

I have a collection of S-M-C TAKUMARS and this is my preferred wide angle (I also have the 20/4.5, 28/3.5). The 20/4.5 is a bit slow and soft in corners and the 28/3.5 is not really a wide angle on APS-C. Like all of the other S-M-C TAKs it has great build quality and a nice manual feel to them. Pure glass and metal, built to last forever. I also like the quirky spelled out "Super Multi Coated"-sciencey sounding engraving. Anyway, the 24/3.5 is reasonably fast, sharp in center already wide open and surprisingly sharp in corners too. Scale focus markings works great for walk-around snapshots and it balances well on modern bodies. It would be fun to use this on a FF body in the future, where it offers a more unique focal length.

My pictures on flickr with this lens

Registered: April, 2012
Location: Melbs

Lens Review Date: May 26, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price
Cons: old and dirty
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Mighty K10d

#Super Tak version

I was surprised at how big it was honestly. And then surprised to see it it not much taller then the 28mm Super Tak. It's wider and heavier which helps with that illusion. I sad as much as I was too claim it being big as a negative. But it's not, although unconsciously it feels like it should be. Did any of that make sense?

I found performance similar to the 28mm Super Tak. I think with careful framing, you could be very happy with the 28mm if you already own one.

The 24mm will just allow you to get closer, and give you that extra room when you find you are back against a boundary. 24mm will focus down to 25cm(ish) whilst the 28mm is down to 40cm

I confess to buying this mostly to settle my own curiosity than out of a desperate need of the FOV. Still, the difference in FOV is significant enough to be noticeable on APS-C. Along with the closer focusing it is going to allow some fun perspective.

Some quick unmolested examples at f3.5

Click 1
Click 2

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but if you don't need to get in down at 25cm.. well I'll find it hard to recommend it to you over the cheaper (and much more readily available) 28mm f3.5

Loyal Site Supportaxian

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: December 12, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very high center sharpness
Cons: Interference with mirror on some Full Frame Cameras. Not as fast as modern lenses.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 10    Value: 6

This is for the S-M-C version.

Optical: This lens is acceptably sharp at the edges, and *fantastically* sharp in the center from wide open. It's as center sharp as my best examples of 1.4/50, 1.8/85, and 4/100. Also note that other reviewers mentioned the sharpness, so it's not just that I've an exceptional specimen. Speed leaves a little to be desired, although the short focal length is quite forgiving with borderline handheld shutter speeds. Closest focus distance is very close and allows for tremendous DOF at high f-stops. Moderate geometric distortion, but I rarely need to correct for it, and sometimes like it and leave in on purpose.

Mechanical: It's an absolute joy to use, as it has the super feel these are known for. Butter smooth precision makes critical focus a real pleasure. The lens hood has a great and convenient mounting system and gives very good coverage on full frame. If you're shooting on crop sensor, the hood for the 1.8/85 gives the correct coverage and will work better.

Overall, As long as the light isn't too low and you're not too concerned with periphery sharpness, this lens is a great choice for general shooting.

Registered: July, 2012

Lens Review Date: April 30, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Build, handling, hood, great results on film
Cons: The aps-c digital sensor rather spoils its wide angle credentials
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 7    Camera Used: Spotmatic, K20D, K-01

For its physical appearance, build, handling and uber-cool original hood, this is a 10/10 lens. A very handsome, solid lens. Some people describe M series lenses (for example) as solid, but this is in an entirely different class.

For its optical performance on film, a 10. It was after all designed for film. I'm not sure it's pixel-peeping sharp but it never seems to matter so much on film prints. More importantly, it produces simply stunning wide angle images, with beautiful colors/contrast, especially on sunny days - it's not really an indoor-friendly lens on film. Not just color; it is also an exceptional lens for B&W photos.

For its performance on an aps-c digital sensor, I'd rate it not more than a 7. OK but not great. Its one of those excellent film era lenses that does not totally suit being 'cropped', in my experience. I find myself using DA zoom lenses around that focal length, or wider, a lot more.

To perform to the very best of its abilities it really needs that wider angle view. One day I'll try it on a FF digital (as a screwmount, it doesn't have to be Pentax), and see how it copes with a powerful sensor.

Here's the lens and hood married to a K-01. (I inherited the lens so no price info.).

And here's a K20D photo of Ham House - the lens handled dark branches and light sky quite well IMO.

Location: California

Lens Review Date: April 18, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great contrast, wide, good color reproduction
Cons: None so far.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This is a superb lens that has all the good characteristics of the S-M-C Takumar. I sold the FA* 24/2 and kept this one.

SMCTak24-35-SunFrontView2-1 by Palenquero, on Flickr

Location: Strand

Lens Review Date: January 24, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $190.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good value, versatile, build quality
Cons: Chromatic aberration,
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9

Center sharpness very good. Extreme edges average. CA visible toward edges. PP does help. Bokeh smooth in close range.

The worst property of this lens is CA/PF. I have several other in 24mm to compare. Not so good for landscape in snow/sunny, but there is very few lenses that can handle this kind of condition.

The lens is optimized for closer range, from MFD to about 2m/5feet. At close distance, wide open, it's razor sharp at the center, and acceptable sharpness at the edges. Very good for 1/2 portraits.

The lens flare a bit, so using a hood is required.

Build quality is superb. Nice throw focus. Best of all, it is in M42 mount, which can be used with different camera brands.

Lens came with dedicated case, dedicated square hood with its own hood case.

Recommended.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Lens Review Date: December 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Compact, good quality wide prime that can do double duty, extremely good value, super versatile
Cons: Different filter size from other taks above it, couldn’t hurt to be a bit faster

Why: Ultrawide on film, 35mm equiv on APS-C Digital. I got this lens to round up my tak collection on the wide end as I heard reports that below 24mm, the quality of the taks (and all M42-age lenses in general) are not as good. I’m not sure how true that is as I have not used another Tak 20 and below, but this 24mm is surely a keeper.

Build Quality: As expected from the takumar series, all metal construction and smooth as butter focusing. Aperture ring also clicks very nicely.

Usability: This is a very versatile lens to use for people, street, landscape, etc. Especially if you bring both a film and digital body, as it can then do double duty as a super wide angle. This lens focuses quite close and makes for some very interesting compositions. In fact I find more use for this lens focused around 1-4 meters than infinity. (I prefer my landscape at 10mm, 50mm or 200mm) For some reason I find this lens easier to focus than the Tak 28mm, despite them having the same aperture opening and a shorter focal length. I attribute this to the increased DOF, so even though I ‘missed’, it’s still reasonably focused. For these reasons I prefer this lens over the 28mm.

The filter ring is bigger than the other taks I own, and my ‘normal’ rubber hood causes vignetting. A ‘wide’ type rubber hood is necessary, or you can also use the takumar 24/28mm metal hood. Looks much better than the rubber, but not as collapsible.

The body is also a little bigger than the taks above it (28, 35, 50), but not unreasonably big.

Optical Quality: Quite sharp, not DA 40 /Tamron 28-75 sharp but definitely a league above most lenses I’ve used. Color renderings are very nice. CA is present but not an issue. Although not DA-15 invincible, flare resistance is very good (I probably have the late S-tak with SMC). Bokeh is decent, nothing to write home about but certainly quite pleasant.

Conclusion: Very versatile and if you can get it for 100-150$ and have a m42/tak collection, this one is a must. Even if you don’t, having a 24/50/85 M42 set is unbeatable for compact walkaround kit. At $200 or above I’d recommend saving up for the DA 21mm instead.

Andi Lo-9888 by endiro, on Flickr

Registered: July, 2008
Location: France

Lens Review Date: August 17, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness
Cons: Flare, only f/3.5, would have liked f/2.8

I bought mine almost two years ago, when they were still affordable. Unluckily, i have the Super Takumar version, which i suppose is a little more prone to flare when shooting at strong light sources. Quite sharp when stopped down a little, but a good UV filter and a lens hood are required to take the best from this lens.

Registered: September, 2006
Location: West Chester, PA

Lens Review Date: March 28, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Build quality, smooth rendering, contrast
Cons: Chromatic aberration, small-ish widest aperture

I have the Super-Multi-Coated version of this lens.
Like all the other S-M-C Takumars, it has excellent all-metal build quality with a nice smooth focus throw. It is sharp enough, but not as sharp as the Pentax-A 24/2.8 or Pentax-FA* 24/2 at similar apertures.
Also like most other S-M-C Takumars, it renders textures nicely. Stopped down this lens produces nice, contrast-y images.

My copy suffers from chromatic aberration more so than my other 24mm lenses, and much more than my beautiful S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5.

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Lens Review Date: March 23, 2007 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $126.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: beautiful rendering (bokeh), beautiful colors, sharp,
Cons: chromatic aberration at wider apertures, low contrast at wider apertures, can flare
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 6

I have the SMC version. This lens has excellent 3-D rendering and beautiful color rendition and separation. It is sharp corner-to-corner on my ist-DS - I cannot say how the corners are full-frame, having never used it full-frame. Wide open it is prone to chromatic aberration in the corners, though less so than my wide-open 28 mm SMC f3.5 ; it also has relatively low contrast at the wider apertures, sometimes creating the appearance of softness, though in fact it is sharp. This has become my standard moderate wide-angle lens. It exhibits very little distortion. Bright out-of-focus highlights are rendered relatively smoothly without bright-ring bokeh or doubling of lines. Except for the chromatic aberration and occasional flare I would rate it a 10.
Add Review of S-M-C/Super Takumar 24mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!