Log in or register to remove ads.

Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax 67 Medium Format Lenses » 67 Wide-Angle Primes
SMC Pentax 67 55mm F4 Review RSS Feed

10.0
 10.0
10 91,343 Sat June 19, 2021

SMC Pentax 67 55mm F4

Wide angle lens for the Pentax 6x7 system, 65 degrees field of view horizontally, like a 28 mm lens on a 24x36mm camera. This lens represents the third and most successful optical formula for a Pentax 6x7 55mm lens.

© www.pentaxforums.com, sharable with attribution | Check camera compatibility
6x7
Pentax 6x7
Inner Bayonet
78 ° / 65 °
PH-SA 77mm
92.5 x 78.5 mm
1986 (start of production)
Engraved name: smc PENTAX 67 1:4 55mm
Optics changed compared to the previous model (SMC Pentax-6x7 55mm F4).
This version is the best of the 6x7 format 55mm lenses.
Manual FocusAperture RingMedium-Format SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax 67 55mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-10 of 10

Registered: March, 2020
Location: China
Lens Review Date: June 19, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: good image quality
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax 6*7

I brought this one for $200. My copy is clearly bumped against something and the back lens group have a small waggling. However, I did not notice any serious image quality degradation.
Every reviewer says it is good. I didn't not notice any cons.
Here is one star trail photo taken at F4.

Registered: February, 2019

Lens Review Date: March 29, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrast, clarity, sharpness, color rendition. Perfection
Cons: May not satisfy photographers that prefer 'character' in their lenses
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony a7Rii

I use this lens with a Fotodiox Tilt/Shift ROKR adapter on a Sony a7Rii body, and I must say the results are phenomenal. Obviously I am getting the sweet spot of its image circle on a 24x36 mm sensor when centered. But even at full shift, its just as good. I have had Zeiss lenses on a Contax645 and Hasselblad, especially the 80mm, 100mm and the 180mm.........and this lens stands at equal footing with all of them. AT A FRACTION OF THE COST! The high praise for this lens is not without merit. I have even thought of buying a Pentax 67 camera just for this lens, but I am apprehensive of the bulk that I will have to carry around. So, this configuration with a mirrorless body works best in keeping it light for frequent use. I use it in center config for most of the time and then tilt or shift as needed occasionally.

Sharpness aside, its micro contrast and resolving of fine details is amazing. The bokeh is like poetry and not crazy like that Helios thingy that some people like. Out of focus areas fall off smoothly into creamy, dreamy stuff. Focus throw is long enough for it to help you nail focus very precisely. It is also well constructed in the tradition of the Pentax Takumar family of lenses that has been thriving on for decades to date. It does have teeny weeny purple fringing in very bright, contrasty areas, but CaptureOne or LR can effortlessly banish them with a mouse click or two. It is free of distortions, as you would expect from a high end lens. However, it is so perfect and precise that it may not satisfy photographers that prefer character in their lenses. The designers were geniuses in making a near perfect lens, and I am proud to own it. This is how it looks with the adapter:

Registered: October, 2018
Location: Quebec City, Quebec

Lens Review Date: June 15, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpest lens ever made for the 67 format.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: 67, 67 II, 645Z

Sorry for the poor quality of the scans of these 67 negatives, they don't render justice to the sharpness of this awesome lens.

I finally found this most beloved lens and tested it on the 645Z. It can be easily used in auto-exposure Av mode with the '67 to 645' Pentax adapter. It's a big, stout, rather heavy lens but, just as with 67 film cameras, the results are spectacular. Sharpness and contrast are unmatched by any other lenses, short of the 75 mm f/2.8 AL and 105 mm f/2.4. Focusing is easy in the 645Z viewfinder and the angle of view permits secure handholding operation. Performance is very uniform throughout the aperture range, it is even usable wide-open at f/4. AWESOME LENS !

Sequence from f/22 to f/4 of the same sunset scene with the 645Z.
f/22
f/16
f/5.6

The imaging performance remains constant at any aperture. On the Pentax 67 II, I closed the aperture to f/16 to get adequate depth-of-field in 'near-far' compositions with a foreground anchor element.

Registered: September, 2017
Location: Medellín
Lens Review Date: December 31, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp.
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: 6x7 MLU

This is an awesome piece of glass. It's bigger than the 45 mm but it uses smaller filters. It's also sharper. Mine came with a stuck 645/67 adapter. Once I managed to separate them and repair the adapter, it meant I'd gotten them both for a silly good price from Japan.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Medina, OH

Lens Review Date: August 17, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $169.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp image, close focus distance, color rendering
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1 with adapter

This is a fantastic lens for my flower photography on the K-1. It is super sharp, rivalling my Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.8 macro and Pentax-A 645 120mm f 4.0 macro in that department. It is a pleasure to focus manually with its large, well-damped focus ring. I have used normal view finder focussing, watching for the green dot, well as live view. Both work quite well for me with no major focussing problems.

This lens can be used on the K-1 or crop sensor K-mount cameras such as the K-3 in manual or aperture priority (Av) modes. I generally select Av, and then adjust exposure up or down using the convenient round wheel on the top right side of the K-1. I have only used the K-1 with this lens in a hand-held context. Taking a tripod throughout the garden in order to set up each shot is not to my liking, but the built-in SR of the K-1 body combined with the k-1's high ISO capability makes hand-held photography a realistic approach. I might just add that using the P67 lens on the full-frame K-1 offers lots of advantages over the native Pentax 67 film camera because of all the advanced features and capabilities of the K-1 as a more modern camera than the Pentax 67 medium-format film camera.

The lens seems to be quite flare resistant. Some of the 645 lenses seem flare prone, and careful attention to hooding is necessary. Not so with this lens. I have not yet scouted out a hood to fit it, but it has no flare problems either. .

The 55mm 67 lens is a great bargain at less than $200. I recommend it highly for any photography environment in which its focal length is appropriate, and its weight, lack of AF, and limited automatic mode operation are not knock-out factors.

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: February 14, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optics, one of the best Pentax 6x7 system lenses.
Camera Used: 6x7, 67 and 67II

The 67 55/4 is the fourth and last lens in this focal length that was made for the Pentax 6x7 system, it was introduced in 1986. It has improved optics over its predecessor the 6x7 55/4 (1979) and is also 110grams heavier.

Usage:
For me the 35mm format wide angle focal length of 28mm has been my favorite and most used since I got into photography in the mid 70’s. The 67 55/4 does not disappoint and is one of the best Pentax 6x7 system lenses optically. I find the 67 55/4 is sharper than my 67 45/4 and the 55mm FL more useful than the wider 45mm.

The minimum focusing distance of 0.35meters is also the best of any Pentax 6x7 lens.

FILTER: The 67 55/4 uses 77mm screw in filters. You can’t use Pentax 6x7 77mm bayonet filters on this lens. Pentax warns that using a polorizer may cause vignetting.

CASE: The 67 55/4 comes with the S90-140 soft case.

HOOD: The 67 55/4 uses a plastic clip-on PH-SA77 hood.

Summary:
If you are looking for a 55mm lens then skip the older versions and go for the 67 55/4. The 67 55/4 is an absolute must have lens considering the relatively low cost, outstanding optics and ease of use. A true Pentax classic!

Price: I found my 67 55/4 at a camera store in Toronto and it cost $369.99CDN. It was NOS condition and came with the original box, case, manual and all the paper work. I purchased the hood separately on eBay.

Sample shots taken with the 67 55/4. Photos are medium resolution Lab scans from original negatives & slides.

Camera: 67 Film: Kodak T-Max 400 ISO: 400

Camera: 67 Film: Fuji Provia 400X ISO: 400

Registered: November, 2011
Location: NOOSA, QLD

Lens Review Date: September 6, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $540.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Common 77mm filter size, sharpness and fidelity.
Cons: Weight! But nothing Pentax SMC is "lightweight"...
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax 67

What? The sharpness scale only goes up to 10? Add one more tick.
Bought mint with 67 body, this was the first of the big and chunky lens I had to come to grips with, literally, as a person with smallish hands. The focus barrel is big and rather slow to use compared to other Pentax SMC lenses I have, but where this lens excels is in the imaging department: corner to corner sharpness, especially from f5.6 onward (I can say confidently that it will deliver at f4, too!), is superb. There is no significant abberation or distortion that I can see. It is very exciting to view the sharp resolution in trannies on the lightbox, but the optical performance is most impressive with finer-grained films like T-Max 100/ACROS 100 where the effect is quite surreal. As with all my work, a tripod is used to maximise the benefits of this (and 165LS and 45mm) lens, and it is my kit's "standard" go-to lens.

An overall snappy piece of engineering and very highly recommended as an acknowledged stand out performer.

________________________________________________________________
• This lens was sold off in March 2014 in preference for the 45mm f4.

Lens Review Date: March 18, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp optics.
Cons:

I have all the Pentax WA focal lengths 35, 45, 55, 75 shift, and 90mm. The performance of this lens is excellent.

Registered: May, 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Lens Review Date: May 1, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $210.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Has got the whole package!
Cons: Heavier on a crop sensor than wanted, but worth it.. You will get ca, especially wide open, in high contrast situations--DA!

This review is for the 67 SMC 55 F4 on Pentax CROP SENSOR I shoot this lens for landscape on my K20d & it is splendid! No PPing whatsoever is needed and the shots are very sharp, all the way to the most remote corners. Beautiful focus mechanism & excellent close focus capabilities. There isn't much I need to say about the lens which a picture can't say, so I'll post one here:

@ f11 with a linear polarizer:

(Non working link removed)

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Arizona

Lens Review Date: March 14, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, small size
Cons: Needs f/32 stop

I have used this lens only a few times as I borrow it from my brother. The results I have seen from it are in the same league as the 75mm f/4.5; sharp, contrasty, good saturated colors and sharp in the corners wide open. The cross section shows that this design is very diffferent from the earlier 55mm lenses. This design has gotten away from the thick element style seen earlier. It is obviously a Distagon (Zeiss) variant and one can see that heritage when compared with Distagon cross sections seen on Hasselblad and Contax wide lenses. My estimate for its maximum lp/mm is 100-105. I feel the 55 needs an f/32 stop like the 55-100 zoom has. The added DOF is really important for landscape work. The 55 is slightly sharper than the 55-100 zoom but they are close. Other than this, the lens is pretty much perfect.
Add Review of SMC Pentax 67 55mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!