Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » A Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

7.9
52 210,822 Fri June 2, 2017

SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8

This lens is similar to the second version of the smc Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 lens.

KA

PH-S49 (28/35mm)
Hard case HA-90B
63 x 36.5 mm
1984 to 1988
smc PENTAX-A 1:2.8 28mm
Lens hood was not included with lens
Manual FocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 52

Registered: June, 2017
Lens Review Date: June 2, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $95.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality,sharp
Cons: NON
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K3-2

I love it!
I think I can shoot a wonderful sight.

Registered: February, 2017
Lens Review Date: May 27, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: ideal focal length on apsc, build quality, handling
Cons: IQ needs assistance
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k3

I am reviewing this lens for use on APSC cameras, as I do not like the 28mm focal length on film and by default FF digital so have not used it on film. For film I much prefer something wider like a 24mm or even 20mm, or something narrower like 35mm.
I have used the 28mm on my K3 now for 18 months, and for a long time I found the images ok but not exceptional. They certainly lacked something special when compared to the DA 35mm f2.4, not sure what. I was shooting JPEGs. Recently however, I have switched to shooting RAW and processing images in camera and by doing so I have been getting the results I want. Its not super sharp, but is IMO acceptably so. I recommend users shoot RAW with this lens and unless you are a pixel peeper, no disappointment should follow.
The lens itself is a typically well made manual focus model from the 80's. Much better construction than most modern lenses. I paid 50 for mine and that represents excellent value for money. The A lock setting means that it functions brilliantly with Pentax DSLRs. I love the field of view on APSC (42mm equivalent). It balances nicely on my K3. With all these factors in consideration I think it makes a perfect walk around lens.The only thing it lacks is auto focus but that does not bother me.
As these lenses are very reasonably priced I can't think of a good reason for not having one. Recommended!

Registered: March, 2017
Lens Review Date: March 22, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Size, weight, A setting for aperture
Cons: Not super sharp.
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9

I've owned this lens since the mid 80's. Although I don't consider it to be particularly sharp I used it regularly in the film era and since it's my favourite focal length for aps-c, I use it even more now.
It has good contrast and pleasant colour and if I don't go overboard cropping images the sharpness is acceptable.
I've adjusted infinity focus on it and I'm satisfied with the results I'm getting. Quite often there are Pentax-M, Tokina and Rikenon versions available on CL from $20 to $70C but I'm not tempted because I don't feel there's a chance of much improvement.
I've included four sample images in the review.
The first is of an through-arch bridge over the Fraser River. Even though it's taken through a window it shows infinity sharpness at f5.6.
The second is of an elderly gentleman standing at a community bookshare station. It shows sharpness at f2.8.
The third is an overhead shot at an ocean pier showing some people in the process of leaving after a public baptism ceremony while others are still engaged in conversation. The person of focus is a young man on the left side of the frame looking across the gathering to the horizon. It's shot at f6.3 and has good sharpness edge to edge.
The fourth illustrates its close focus and bokeh capability. Here the subject is of a small figure in an display case outside a local toy store.

Registered: December, 2016
Location: Silverstone

Lens Review Date: December 26, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, cheap to buy, lightweight
Cons: Low saturation, low contrast, flare
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-S2

My copy of this lens was found on eBay for 45. It has turned out to be quite a good performer, well worth the modest outlay, but it needs more "work" in PP than my modern lenses..

Sharpness is good at f/4, very good after f/5.6. It's a bit soft wide open, as others have commented.

It cannot handle flare like a modern lens, so never leaves the bag without a hood. I use the hood for a 50mm FF lens, reflecting the standard FOV that this lens has on APS-C.

This lens naturally delivers RAW files with lowish contrast and saturation, by modern standards.

I find that the easiest way to overcome this is to switch to one of the reversal film profiles in Silkypix. I generally use Film Colour V1 or V2, tweak up the saturation a little and enhance the contrast one notch.

Here's a sample shot, processed as above, without any distortion correction but with Silkypix's default sharpening, etc. The location is Stowe House, near Buckingham in the UK. Go visit...

It is very light, coming from the days when Pentax strove to be the smallest and lightest. I really like that in a lens.

I may keep it, I may not. It's chief rival in my hiking bag is an A24/2.8...

Location: Vancouver, Canada

Lens Review Date: August 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $68.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Decent build, speed, optics and handling.
Cons: Not as good as any K Series 28mm to 30mm lens.
Camera Used: Pentax film bodies (K1000, KM, KX, K2, K2DMD, MX, LX, Super A, P50)

The A28/2.8 was released in 1984 and remained in production until 1988. It was a direct replacement for the M28/2.8 V2. The similar Auto focus F28/2.8 was available alongside the A28/2.8 from 1987 onwards. All three lenses have the same optical design.

Optics:
Decent optics and the A28/2.8 is the sharpest from f/8 to f/11. The A28/2.8 is a bit soft wide open and in the corners, there is also noticeable distortion which is typical of a wide angle lens with no AL element.

Focal Length:
Back in the film days this was the most popular wide angle focal length for anyone starting photography. Very useful for landscape/street shooting. On APS-C you get the FOV of what the FA43/1.9 is like on FF, more of a normal lens.

Build:
Better built than my newer FA series lenses, but not as good as any K/M Series lens I own. There are no issues with the aperture ring on this A Series lens, like there is with the 50/1.7.

Usage/Handling:
The A28/2.8 is a nicely sized well balanced lens that is easy to handle. I have no issues manually focusing the A28/2.8 or using the aperture ring. The A28/2.8 also has an excellent distance scale for hyper focal focusing and size wise is a great lens to travel with.

The A28/2.8 has a 49mm filter ring, which is common for any M or A Series lens in the wide to short telephoto focal range.

The A28/2.8 uses the 49mm square plastic clip-on lens hood that also works with any M or A Series wide angle 28mm or 35mm lens. This hood also comes with a leather case. The A28/2.8 uses the HA-90B hard or the S70-70 soft lens case.

Speed:
F/2.8 is average for a wide angle lens, so no issues here. There were also faster f2.0 28mm lenses and slower f3.5, so f2.8 is a good compromise at a reasonable price.

The A28/2.8 vs my other similar FL wide angle primes:
I also own the K28/2.0, K28/3.5 and the K30/2.8.

- The K28/2.0 is better than the A28/2.8 in all aspects, other than if you want a smaller 28mm lens at a cheaper price.

- The K28/3.5 has slightly better overall optics and is better built, with a nicer meaty feel to it. (Though some may find the K28/3.5 too big) The A28/2.8 however is 2/3 of a stop faster, so its better for lower light shooting.

- The K30/2.8 has better optics and is better built compared to the A28/2.8. Both are about the same size, with the K30/2.8 being a bit heavier.

I would rank/rate them in this order: 1) K28/2.0 - 10, 2) K30/2.8 9.5, 3) K28/3.5 - 9 and 4) A28/2.8 8.5.

Summary:
I bought the A28/2.8 as Im building a 49mm filter thread lens kit for travelling and was missing a wide angle. (I now have a wide angle companion for my FA43/1.9 & FA77/1.8) This cuts down on the number of filters I need to carry when I shoot both colour and b+w film on the same trip.

Even though I rank the A28/2.8 last amongst my 28mm to 30mm lenses, its still a good small wide angle lens for travelling that you can find at a reasonable price.

Overall I rate the A28/2.8 an 8.5 out of 10.

Price:
I bought my A28/2.8 from a local camera stores used section and paid $90 CDN. It was in excellent + condition.

Sample shots taken with the A28/2.8. Photos are medium resolution scans from original negatives and slides. The first shot was taken in Vancouver and the second in Brooklyn, NY.

Camera: ME Film: Ilford FP4+ ISO: 125

Camera: K2DMD Film: Fuji Provia 100F ISO: 100

Moderator PEG Judges

Registered: August, 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ideal "Street Photography" length lens on FF
Cons: Perhaps not the sharpest tool in the box, but good enough when stopped down a bit

The FF K1 made me buy it, ideal focal length for "Street" work".

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Warsaw

Lens Review Date: June 24, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good image quality, build quality, A - setting, Price to FOV ratio :)
Cons: Not super sharp
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-500

Quite soft wide open, starts to be sharp after f3.5, very sharp after f5.0.
Unsurprisingly sharper then kit lens but not as sharp as expected from prime lens, dont get me wrong it is sharp but unfortunately not as sharp as Pentax A 50/1.7.
Thanks to A setting easy to use.
As for its price it is a great lens, sharp and reasonably fast. Very useful in indoors shooting when 50mm is too long.
For less than 80$ it is worth buying.

Registered: March, 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Lens Review Date: June 19, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact. Pretty Sharp. Relatively fast. A setting
Cons: Focus ring is a tiny bit loose feeling
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K500

Needed a little bit wider FOV than my 35 or 50 could give me and I didn't want to reach for my DA 18-55 zoom. This lens certainly fits the bill. Over-all very nice contrast and good sharpness across almost all stops. Provides a nice and aesthetic softness but it is not at the expense of color, contrast or sharpness. Contradictory, I know, but it is something you have to see to understand. It's a good thing. Color rendition is like most Pentax -- excellent. The Focus ring seems a tiny bit loosey/goosey but it still instills the feeling of a well built lens. There are some pretty good 28/2.8 lenses out there from Sigma and Vivitar, etc.; however, the Pentax-A 28/2.8 should be on your list if you are looking for a a quality lens to give you a bit more FOV.

IMGP0726 by Ripper2860, on Flickr

Lens Review Date: January 25, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $82.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, size, built quality
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

A great standard lens for APS-C if you can cope without autofocus.

Lens Review Date: December 26, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: solid body, clear image. just good lens
Cons: not detected
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: LX, K-30

wide angle at FF, slightly wide (EFL 42mm) at crop (K-30)
has an A-setting of aperture dial ring, so fully compatible with DSLR.

using it for indoor or open-space outdoor.

overall not complaints. images has very good quality, sharpness and nice-enough bokeh.
i think from K-KA manual 28mm lens it is one of the best.

using it often, with no doubt.

Registered: May, 2013

Lens Review Date: November 3, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: well built, compact size, A mode
Cons: sharpness
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-r

This lens is compact, lightweight and well built. It produces accurate images with good contrast and nice colours from wide open. Bokeh can be pretty nice for close portraits shots. Not very good sharpness for landscape work.
Can be used as an inexpensive standard walk around lens on aps-c.

Registered: May, 2013
Location: Lima-Peru

Lens Review Date: September 29, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, Good IQ
Cons: non for the proce
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: pentax k.30

This is a great lense for the price, i just try it today, and well an image is worth a thousand words.

Lens Review Date: September 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $36.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice built , nice sharpness, very cheap in my country
Cons: Not yet fou d
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

Just bought and surely this lens is good
Mine is not really smooth in the body, looks like it wasnt kept in the right place before.. But still nothing is wrong with the shot taken

I think i am in love in this lense

Location: Cirebon
Lens Review Date: August 30, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, Good enough build, Sharpness
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-01

[+]
  • Small and lightweight.
  • Natural color rendering.
  • Sharp enough at wide open but TOO SHARP for portrait.
[-]
  • Not yet

Registered: August, 2013

Lens Review Date: August 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Not very expensive, well built, small, A mode
Cons: Not as sharp as expected
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 8

A few shots

Pentax K-5 - 1/80sec - F4.0 - ISO 100 - Auto white balance - spot meter - tripod

Now a few pics with 1, 2, 3 extension tubes with different settings. The lens was not reverse mounted. The quality may not be the best since I have not a macro rail to fine focus . The full size pics are on flickr.

In the next pic the lens was reverse mounted on 2 extension tubes. The subject it's a Dionaea Muscipula sensor more or less the size of a Human hair.

Enjoy
Add Review of SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!