Pentax Lens Review Database » Film Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » A Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Review RSS Feed

68 215,867 Mon October 16, 2017
SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5

This lens has faster aperture than that of its autofocus F version. It also delivers a macro mode accessible at all focal lengths.

KA

APS-C: 45-16 ° / 38-13 °
Full frame: 63-23 ° / 54-19 °
RH-B 70mm
Hard case HD-143
1984 to 1989
smc PENTAX-A ZOOM 1:3.5 35~105mm
Manual FocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued
In-depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 68

Registered: May, 2013
Lens Review Date: October 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, colors, macro function
Cons: focus ring takes getting used to
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3

I haven't used this lens too much but have now used it enough to want to add a review. Mostly I'd just second the other reviews. As one said, when you get it right with this lens, it's something special. The focus ring does take some getting used to, but otherwise I have nothing negative to say. The colors are gorgeous, it's razor sharp even at the corners - this photo of holly berries is uncropped, I think around f/8.

I find the focal length range and the macro function very useful, making this a wonderful (if somewhat heavy) all-purpose walk around lens. And for an old lens, there's no purple fringing when shooting into light -- I was curious how the photos of the magnolia bud would turn out, but the lens handled it beautifully. A true gem.

And the macro function worked great for tiny flowers and a spider.

Registered: January, 2017
Lens Review Date: January 22, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: Sharpness
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Ks02

I collect all the pentax manual zooms, (M and A series and a few spotmatic lenses as well)..... and it it is true what they say, For some reason, when you get the focus right, it is simply head and shoulders above anything else. A freak.

Registered: February, 2016
Location: lake constance
Lens Review Date: October 14, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: extremely sharp lens, very good use in full format
Cons: a little bit heavy, bad klick-mechanism into macro
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 4    Value: 10

Optics:

This is a great lens!
I didn`t see often this optical quality of a zoom like this. One stop down, you can enjoy the same quality like from a prime lens. And this over the whole zoom area.
I recommend this lens on Sony A7, because you can keep your equipment small on a trip.
Not as good as the optics is the mechanic quality. I am a M-series fan and this is an A-series.
A-series lenses are not as light as the former lenses and they are poorer in focusing.
I used this lens on short trips and I can recommend this lens! Optics is even better, sharper than from my Nikkor 35-105mm 3,5-4,5, and this is really good. Macro optics quality is best for a zoom lens.
My tip for city trips.

Registered: September, 2016

Lens Review Date: September 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, image quality
Cons: Clumsy macro clutch mechanism
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-30

I'll refrain from grading the lens yet since I've only had it for a couple of days, these are first impressions. Amazing build quality, never seen anything like it in a zoom (though I have to admit I've never handled a star lens for comparison). It's heavy but I like the feeling on camera. At f3.5-f4 there is some glow/fuzziness around edges at brightly lit objects (see pic 1 and 2). This glow might actually enhance the appearance of ie flowers but looks out of place on inorganic subjects like buildings or cars. At f4.5 the effect is gone. Bokeh is nice. It handles difficult light situations with large dynamic range with flying colors and metering on my K-30 is spot on (see for example boy at door pic, that's out of camera without adjustments). Glass is great, it behaves like modern glass with good contrast without washout and it's flare resistant: It rendered the backlit flowers in pic 5 better than my Pentax 55-300mm HD. No hood on! From f4.5 and up it's as sharp as you'll ever need, see 100% crop in pic 6. Semi macro mode gives a 1:3 magnification ratio. Think I'll use this mostly as a very versatile portrait lens, with the zoom range of 52.5-157.5 FF equivalent. Focus throw is long and with some resistance, you won't be catching fast moving objects with this one. Beautiful lens.

Update: grading lens now, first impressions pretty much hold up. Bokeh at the tele end at f3.5 is wonderful, se first two examples below. Any smaller f-stops and you get hexagons (which may be to your liking). I'll iterate that this lens is a champion in harsh lighting. Last pic below, straight backlighting, no hood, sun just above top of frame: no veiling, no flares - astounding. Great lens for outdoor use. Balances very well on modern dslr's with their more substantial grips.

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Nagoya
Lens Review Date: August 9, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, handling, mechanical quality
Cons: Heavy

There's not much more to be said about this lens, so I'll just concur that it's brilliant. It's heavy but that's the price you pay for constant aperture, good zoom range and tasty metal construction - it handles much better on beefier cameras that balance it out nicely. I find the handling of the lens itself to be uniformly good and I actually like the slide up into macro/close focus feature - it's much nicer than having to shove through a bump stop at the end of the zoom range on many other Pentax zooms. It's also available at all focal lengths.

The image quality that this lens puts out is simply stunning, particularly the 3D 'pop' of the photos. Contrast and sharpness is uniform and good wide open, bitingly crisp from f5.6 onwards on both digital and film.. No particularly unpleasant fringing or distortion.

Although it's relatively expensive for an old zoom lens, what this lens gives you makes it the bargain of the A series range. I can't think of anything that would make me advise against buying it. I wavered for ages, but as soon as I took the first few shots with it I knew I had something special in my hands.

Registered: November, 2014

Lens Review Date: July 12, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: really good at what it is - an SMC-A 35-105 zoom.
Cons: none really, unless you compare it to different lenses
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-30

Just acquired this lens, and it does not disappoint.

This shot was taken in pseudo macro mode, hand-held at 125th f/5.6 ISO 100.

This one is my standard quick-and-dirty lens test.
Can I resolve the wing-nut under the neighbor's antenna? Zoom in to find out if this lens makes the grade! The Magpie is a bonus.
Hand-held at 1000th, f/10, ISO 200. Focal length 105mm.

This view is about 80mm focal length, 640th, f/5, ISO 160.

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Hampshire

Lens Review Date: May 28, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, constant F3.5, cheap? with a "macro?" close focus ability
Cons: Not a lot.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

There is a lot to like about this lens, it is not as heavy as my (Tokina made?) Vivitar 35-105mm F3.5 ( by about 200 grams) and has a 5mm smaller filter size (67mm vs 72mm) and is sharper.
I rather liked the Viv, it may have been a direct competitor to this Pentax in the day but it is not quite as sharp to my mind.

Is it as good as carrying around a selection of primes?

Well if you are out and about it would save opening up the camera if one needed to change the lens for another focal length.
If the subject was up a tree and skittish, one might get an image with this before the subject disappeared or one climbed up a bit to get closer rather than change the lens.
Though it is always possible that the right FL lens is already on the camera and the wider aperture is needed.

Not wishing to prolong any debate but in the following circumstance, I took an image, F5.6, AWB, centre weighted, ISO 400 from approximately the same distance away.
The exposures we re both at 1/200th but as you will see, the exposures of the image are not identical when viewing.

Is one sharper or better than the oth er? Well I actually prefer the zoom image this time, I rate it just as sharp.

The brighter image and crop are from the zoom.

I have tried editing the text but it comes back all over the place again!

amateur dirt farmer...

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...

Lens Review Date: April 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $33.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: color rendition, handling, sharpness, general feel of quality
Cons: weight, odd macro/shift function
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3, K-50

I'll state the obvious up front: I love this lens...

I ignore the clunky focus-shift into and out of 'macro'...

I ignore the weight and length of a zoom that only goes to 105mm....

all of this for several reasons - it's well-built and all that weight gives it a seriousness to it's handling... and it looks good on your camera...

oh - and don't forget the pictures:

Stormy Grace by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr bridal wreath spirea by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr Spud & Chloe colors... by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

sunset tonight... by Pepperberry Farm, on Flickr

they call this lens the Stack of Primes for its abilities and I know that has been debated in the forums time and time again, but I tend to agree that when you nail a shot with TSOP, there's not going to be much difference between that shot and a prime at the same FL...

if you find one of these lenses that is in decent shape for a decent price - add it to your kit, just do it...

Registered: March, 2016

Lens Review Date: March 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: smooth zoom and focus, image quality, cheap for itīs performance
Cons: lens cap doesnīt hold very good
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

I own a few manual lenses, cause I do not need autofocus for my photos - and I love the feeling and control of manual focussing.

my lenses are:
SMC Pentax A 50 mm 1.7
SMC Pentax M 35-70 2.8-3.5
SMC Pentax A 35-105 3.5
Vivitar Series 1 70-210 3.5
Pentax DA 16-45 4.0
SMC Pentax DA 18-135 3.5-5.6

Most of these lenses have some macro abilities, but I like the 35-105 the most. Why? It gives a well balanced combination with my K5 plus battery grip. The smooth zoom ring feels very good. You can go very fast from normal zoom in macro mode per pulling the ring away from you. The extension of the tube from 35 to 105 is very short and the rather heavy handed zoom prevents of zoom creep.
Now a few words to the image performance: f3.5 is rather fast compared to other cheap zooms available now. The sharpness is very good. I think in most situations you do not need excellent sharpness until corners, so you can use it also full open. Bokeh is very pleasant for me. Hereīs an example of a macro shot. Itīs besides the A50 my favourite lens I use.

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: March 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Form & function
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I love this lens for it's positive handling and images, great value.
Very useful with fill flash around the city.
I put a 67mm metal hood on mine.

Location: Seattle, WA USA
Lens Review Date: March 12, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Rendering, consistency, constant aperture
Cons: ...haven't quite found the best hood solution...
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5ii, MX

I've had this lens for a few years and honestly, don't think to use it as much as I could and should. It is an astonishingly good lens, though. I use it on both dSLR and film with great results.

I don't think it's too big or heavy. It's not plastic or a pancake, but it's not supposed to be. It feels like a fine piece of perfect equipment. I really appreciate the 2-touch zoom. I set the focal length and then treat it is a prime of that length. I mostly use it in TAv mode, so I set the aperture and shutter speed and let my K5 adjust ISO to consistently get the correct exposure.

The quasi-macro mode is nice and creates some opportunities that I enjoy. Rendering is beautiful and colors and clarity are great through the range.

What prompted my review today is that I was testing a modern zoom from a tripod, through range at various apertures and found it to be very inconsistent. Exposure was frequently off. Sometimes stopping down helped and sometimes it seemed to hurt. I get some good photos with that lens too, but I don't use it much, because I miss so many. Bench testing it like this, I see why.

So, for fun, I repeated the test with my A 35-105/3.5 and did 100% crops on my focal point. There is very little difference in sharpness with this lens between f3.5 and f8 or even f11. It's just so consistent. It's a marvel. I'm baffled as to why this design hasn't persisted into more modern Pentax lenses. That said, with Catch in Focus, I've more or less got a fast, constant aperture 35-105 zoom for the cost of a bag of chips. I may very well, make this my only zoom in this range.

There should be better more modern, reasonable choices for a zoom in this range, but...I honestly don't know of any within 3x the price range for a good copy.

Lens Review Date: December 25, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness ,Colour .Alu and glas.Cheap
Cons: Heavy ,a little hard to focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: k52

Had svorn not to buy a zoom again since ....a never mind . but then a very bright moment came to me . he said ... no . I thougt ,what do i like best about me k and m prime lenses (you know) .and i have to say ,that this A zoom got a lot of it .
Actually i got two .this one i got so dirt cheap i could not resist (yes i say that every time:rolleyes

Registered: February, 2015
Lens Review Date: November 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, contrast, focus control, macro
Cons: zoom ring too close to the camera body
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3

I'm in love!

Simply amazing lens that I finally decided to buy.
The only thing I don't like is the small zoom ring. I wish it was one ring for both zoom and focus.
The zoom ring is kinda hard but that could be a problem in my copy.

-------------

----------------- 35-105 ------------------

------------------- A 35-70-------------------

The shot with the 35-70 is at its best f-stop

Registered: June, 2015
Location: Beamsville, Ontario

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very well built, smooth accurate focus, good zoom range.
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50

I really like this lens a lot. I picked it up a few weeks ago on ebay, and took it out on three evenings and Sunday afternoon to give it a try. I found that it worked best in good light, but I guess that's true for most lenses, particularly one that is a bit on the slow side wide open. Not that F3.5 is bad, it just isn't great in poor lighting.

Knowing that the lens is a "stack of primes", I went out hoping that I would get sharp, sharp shots as in "sharp like my M50 1.7". That didn't quite happen, but the shots are still quite good, even while peeping pixels. It produced some very nice shots, with good colour and contrast throughout the range.

I'm in my 50's now and need reading glasses, so manual focus is a bit of a challenge at the best of times. I purchased a magnifying diopter at about the same time as this lens, so I was using them both for the first time. I found that I got really good results with this lens while using the new diopter and I imagine people with good vision will have no issues focusing with the standard diopter. The focus ring is long and smooth so it is easy to hone in on the correct focus, providing the lighting is good.

The focal range of 35-105, as well as the macro switch made this a really versatile lens for walking around. You can take fairly wide shots, zoom shots, and then you can get right up close with the macro ring to capture an insect on the flowers. It's a heavy, solid lens, and that is a downside for some people, but I like it.

I have not been into photography for that long, so I'm not comfortable commenting on the quality of the Bokeh this lens gives, but I'm personally pleased with the soft backgrounds.

I'm sure this one will get a lot of use in the years to come.

Registered: June, 2015
Lens Review Date: June 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice range, close focus, center sharpness
Cons: A bit heavy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: Sony a6000

I have been experimenting with legacy glass on my a6000 and found the Pentax SMC A 35-105 a pretty good performer. Very easy to focus compared to some other legacy zooms. Most surprising - pretty good bokeh for a zoom! Center is contrasty and sharp stopped down a notch, corners perform well at f8. All in all, a good contender for the 1-lens solution. Just a snap from today.

Add Review of SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!