Pentax Lens Review Database » Pentax 645 Medium Format Lenses » 645 Normal Primes
SMC Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8 Review RSS Feed

SMC Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8

15 60,864 Sat February 1, 2020
SMC Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8

Manual focus normal lens, with a field of view in the 645 film format corresponding to a 50 mm lens in the 24x36mm format. In the 645 digital format the field of view is like a (very) short telephoto lens.

smc Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8
645 film
Pentax 645
645 A

645 Digital: 40 ° / 33 °
645 Film: 50 ° / 41 °
RH-A 58mm screw-in
74 x 37.5 mm (2.9 x 1.5 in.)
240 g (w/o attachments) (8.5 oz.)
N/A
smc PENTAX-A 645 1:2.8 75mm
Manual FocusAperture RingAutomatic ApertureMedium-Format SupportAdapter needed for DSLRsDiscontinued

Add Review of SMC Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 15

Registered: October, 2018
Location: Quebec City, Quebec
Lens Review Date: February 1, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $240.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Typical Pentax image quality, small and light. Built to last a lifetime.
Cons: Lacks depth-of-field in the foregrounds.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax 645Z

I had to crop the 2 lower pictures to a panoramic format to remove an ugly out-of-focus foreground. Lack of depth-of-field is the only shortcoming of this focal length.
The lens can be used with Auto Extension Tubes or the 645 Auto Bellows and gives excellent macrophotography results. Excellent between f/8 and f/16 at any distance.

Registered: July, 2018
Lens Review Date: August 1, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: Canon 5DS R, 5D iii and 1DSii

I am an architectural photographer using Canon 5DS R, 5D iii and 1DSii with Pentax 645 lens with Mirex adapter. I have 45-85mm, 80-160mm, 55mm and 120mm, they are all excellent, don't recommend 35mm thou, it has a mustache distortion, the addition of the 75mm is simply for fun and hoping that I would eventually move to Fuji GFX.

Pentax 645 A 75mm 2.8, in summery - it is an excellent tiny lens.

tested at f2.8 and f8 & f11, after that, diffraction

@ f2.8 - without shift = center - usable, corner - soft, usable. (not for architectural of course)

@ f11 - without shift = center - excellent, corner excellent too, no CA.
@ f11 - shift 10mm = center - excellent, corner excellent too, no CA.
@ f11 - shift 15mm = center - excellent, corner is excellent too, no CA.

at f8 = center is sharper, at f11 = corner is slightly sharper. Better than 45-85mm.

I see some barrel distortion during focusing but only appeared slightly in my brick wall test.

Old lenses like this give you that analogue film like feeling, detail yet not sharp sharp. Love it.

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: August 24, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $115.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small & light (for 645), sharp, fairly well built, great handling
Cons: Could be better built

I bought this lens to replace the FA version I had previously, as I had no need for AF (my camera doesn't have it) and the A lens is much sturdier. The FA lens has quite a flimsy build and the A feels significantly better, though not as solid as the M series 135 format lenses. The A version is better for manual focusing as the ring is more damped.

I have also reviewed the FA version (https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-645-75mm-F2.8-Lens.html) and the A version is optically exactly the same, barring some possible (but un-noticeable changes to the SMC formula) - very sharp, great contrast. Bokeh could be smoother but is highly variable depending on the conditions and the specifics of the photo.

If you value good build quality over AF then this is a better option, it's also a lot cheaper. I wish there were a faster 645-mount standard prime but Pentax has always limited it's 645 options to f/2.8 maximum, which is a shame - I'd like to be able to use the lens in lower light and to get shallower depth of field. Having said that, within it's limitations, I use this lens for around 85% of my 645 photos. I also use the A 55mm f/2.8 for wider shots and very occasionally the 150mm f/3.5. Together they make a good three-lens kit but the 75mm is byfar the most useful.

One day I must really get a 645 to K adapter to be able to try this out on digital and 135 film, where it ought to make a good portrait-length lens.

Overall, I would highly recommend this lens for use on 645 film, though bear in mind that for 645 standard primes the options are extremely limited - I believe there are some 80mm f/2 lenses by other manufacturers which can be adapted to Pentax 645 but they are more expensive and will be harder to use due to the non-native mount. The 645 standard zooms are huge, very heavy and a 1.5 stops slower than the prime.

Here are some sample photos:

Pentax 645 Acros 2015 014a

Pentax 645 Acros 2015 015a

P645, 400H 017a

Paris P645 400H 005a

Paris P645 Reala 004a

Paris P645 400H 013a

Paris P645 160NS 019a

Registered: August, 2015
Lens Review Date: August 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $225.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very light, nice and sharp, well built
Cons: Sharpness is only very good
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Sony A7r

On my Sony A7r this is a short telephoto lens. I bought it to use on a pair of Mirex tilt-shift adapters, so that I can get a full range of camera movements. It's an important part of my "light" kit (along with the 35mm and the 150mm, and sometimes the 55mm). All the reviewers who describe it as sharp and nice are absolutely right.... But the only reason I didn't give it top marks for sharpness is that the SMC Pentax-A 45-85mm f/4.5 that I also use (when I can carry more or need critical sharpness) is even better! The zoom is simply astonishingly sharp for a lens of its era. Unfortunately, the 45-85mm weighs a lot and is not as easy to carry around -- so I'm happy to also own the 75mm for times when I need an excellent lens that doesn't weigh a lot.

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI

Lens Review Date: January 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, sharp, creamy bokeh.
Cons: None.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: 645

This normal prime has taught me to see in ways no wide angle, telephoto, or zoom can. It is straight-as-you-see-it and is the ultimate test for my skills in the art of seeing. I've owned this since I purchased my 645 in 1986 and when I'm seeking Zen and the Art of Photography, this is the lens.

Incredibly sharp at f/8, but if I want the dreamy bokeh, f/2.8 give me shallow depth-of-field with 120 film that tangibly exceeds the qualities of an f/1.4 in 35mm or FF.

Registered: April, 2014
Lens Review Date: April 19, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, Sharpness, price
Cons: some CA
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7r, Canon 5d3

Great lens! When stopped down it makes very sharp photos. I use it with my Sony A7r and a MIREX Shift-tilt adapter, it easily does 36mp justice. It's sharper than my Canon 70-200 IS f4 at the same focal length and f stop. It is as sharp as my Canon 85 prime is at f8, with is amazing! And I get shift tilt too!

I don't think I'd bother buying a Canon 90mm TS-E, now I have this lens and the MIREX, it's that good!
(note, you need to flock and non reflective black paint the inside of the adapter, as this lens reflects very bad and degrades IQ badly. But once that is done, it's super!)

Registered: January, 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA

Lens Review Date: July 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, IQ, price
Cons: a little CA
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: 645D

a really great normal lens for the 645D. It is small enough to fit easily in any camera bag, so worth having with you at all times. Nice focal length and plenty sharp. I am very pleased with this lens. Some CA detected but easy enough to correct.

this is a single frame, 2-minute exposure using this lens at f/8.

Here is a gallery of images shot with this lens:

___________

UPDATE: I ended up selling this and the 67105 to get the DFA 90 Macro. The 90 is much sharper but many times more expensive.

Lens Review Date: April 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp even at F2.8
Cons: Dispersion is heavy than the DA lens
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

I'm lucky that I got a commemorative edition,
it's very new, and its perfomence beyond my expectation。

Lens Review Date: April 6, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Classic, Manual Fast & Clear, Naturally Sharp, Sweet Handling
Cons: Getting dark in viewfinder when stopping down Aperture
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5IIs

I think this len is amazing on my K5IIs. My best len so far is A85 f1.4 which is a gem, but I keep coming back to this len time to time as I found pictures taken has a really interesting sense of LIFE in it. It is not the sharpness nor the rendering of this len, it is the balance of everything.

Here are some handheld pictures.

BTW, you need a good hood on this len as side light get in easily.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Lens Review Date: September 2, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, good price
Cons: focusing could be just that bit closer
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5

After being very impressed with the Pentax-A* 645 300mm F4, I had no issue with spending money on this lens. Unlike the 300mm, I've found the focusing a little less forgiving on the K5 (I mean a very small movement is the difference between out of focus and in), but once you allow for that, its a great little lens (even on the K5).

Everlastings 2012 by Pete's Point of View, on Flickr

Location: Copenhagen
Lens Review Date: August 25, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, bokeh, build quality, color rendering
Cons: None really
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Wonderfull lens - even mounted on a crop camera. I use the lens on Olympus (E-30); meaning that I have an adaptor from 645 to PK - and an adaptor ring from PK to Fourthirds. A bit of a way; but the lens is worth it.

I have written a review in English of this lens (and other lenses) ; and it is to be found at my website: (Non working link removed)

Registered: July, 2011
Lens Review Date: August 11, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness and contrast
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This lens is a superb performer on a 645D. It has the best price/value ratio.
Sharp, great contrast and very well built. Also the manual focus works pretty well.
Best lens you can get for the money.

Location: Albuquerque NM
Lens Review Date: July 14, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: compact, sharp and inexpensive
Cons:

This lens takes up almost no room on the camera or in the bag. Its speed is right and the performance leaves little to complain about. The "normal" FOV is also just about right. This shot was cropped to about the size of 135, and it is as sharp as a good 135 lens would have rendered.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: NJ, USA
Lens Review Date: May 22, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, small, great contrast
Cons:

I love the shots taken with this lens (on film of course). Great color and contrast, sharp.

It is also well built (better than its A series basic 50mm lens for 35mm cameras).

Registered: October, 2006
Location: NJ USA

Lens Review Date: January 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, gets the job done beautifully
Cons: a smidge closer focus

How to review a lens that basically does everything right, is well built and smooth to operate, and is simply a pleasure to use?

This is my only modern 'normal' lens - so all I can compare this with are the Yashica Mat and Diacord TLR lenses, plus some folding camera lenses. It is better in most respects, better control and contrast and flare resistance and resolution.

There is a flavor to the lux uncoated pre-war lenses that can't be replicated with modern lenses.

My only real complaint is that I wish it - like most other Pentax primes - would focus a smidge closer.

I bought an after market 58mm Vivitar metal hood for this lens, cheap, and it works well.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-A 645 75mm F2.8

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!