Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] Review RSS Feed

6.9
 7.2
99 272,472 Wed January 8, 2020

SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]

The Pentax 10-17mm fisheye lens provides a 180-degree diagonal Field of View (FoV) on Pentax APS-C format DSLRs.  At 17mm, the FOV is reduced to 100 degrees.  The image is not rectilinear. The fisheye effect is more dramatic at the wider end of the zoom range.

In 2019 this lens was replaced by an HD coated version, but it can still be found new as of February 2020.

SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED[IF]

Built-in
Dedicated metal push-on
SMC,SP
Fisheye
68 x 71.5 mm (2.7 x 2.8 in.)
2006 to 2019
$575 USD at launch
smc PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10- 17mm ED[IF]
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★☆☆ Usable with reservations at select F-stop/focal length combinations
Show details
One ED element.

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftInternal FocusingBuilt-in HoodAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital OnlyDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 31-45 of 99

Registered: March, 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Lens Review Date: May 8, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: easy to handle, flexible, good general build, price...
Cons: Lens flare, chromatic aberration
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5 and K5IIs

I wrote a review some time ago and I have to correct it now.
I agree with all posting in general that this a great fisheye for the price - a great piece to have if you know how to use it efficiently and are familiar with limitations.
To tone down those impressions I have to conclude that one has to watch for major lens flare problems with this lens - at least in special situations such as shooting facing a light source. I have been doing a few 360° panoramas of interior of churches and have noticed bad reflections off ceiling lamps and chandeliers showing blotches of cyan/turquoise reflections around lamps. I have noticed other situations where those reflections occur, not in front of a light source. Those panos are the result of 5 bracketed shots at 2EV spread merged in photomatix and stitched in PTGui pro. Most of the original DNG frames show those flare problems - except at faster shutter speeds (the 2 underexposed brackets in the set of 5) which I have solved by using the PS paint brush in "color" mode, sampling on an adjacent colour, painting off the flare, and finishing off with some "burning".
The technique I describe to remove them is excellent and was shown to me by a good friend.
See my panos made with this lens here:http://www.360cities.net/profile/nadonou

Banned

Registered: March, 2013

Lens Review Date: February 27, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colors, contrast
Cons: cannot protect front element
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

Maybe I am a little bit subjective but I think that this is a brilliant lens.
After just a month of using this lens I've sold my DA12-24mm which I've been used for 2 years.
Why?
Because I wasn't used DA12-24mm for architecture and because DA10-17mm is better in almost everything except image distortion.
Let me explain:
1. DA10-17 is very sharp wide open at f/3.5, DA12-24 is acceptable sharp wide open f/4
2. DA10-17 has much better colors then DA12-24 which has a little bit muted colors when light is not perfect
3. DA10-17 has better contrast then DA12-24
4. DA10-17 has better autofocus in low light then DA12-24 (less hunting)
5. DA10-17 virtually has no flare which could be a problem with DA12-24 even with it's huge hood
6. DA10-17 is much smaller and lighter then DA12-24.
7. DA12-24 is not so great at 24mm end so it's loosing some advanteges over DA10-17.

CA on DA10-17 is similar to DA12-24

There are only 2 disadvantages of DA10-17 in compare to DA12-24:
1. Usage of filters is impossible and front element could not be protected except with lens cap.
2. Huge disortions. DA10-17 is definitely not for architectural photography like DA12-24. But DA10-17 is much more fun because of distortions. Distortions could be minimized during shooting (and removed later in Lightroom) if you know how to use this lens: proper point of view, no tilting, no important objects close to edges in foreground...

Some says that it has a limited usage, but it is limited only with your creativity. Off course DA10-17 is not a lens for bokeh lovers but I recommend this lens to everyone as primary super wide lens.

Registered: September, 2009

Lens Review Date: February 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: colours, contrast, useable from f/3.5 onward
Cons: not 8 mm, CAs
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

I started fishing with the Samyang 8mm some time ago. After pixel peeping other lenses, I became less satisfied with the Samyang’s IQ wide open as well as in low light. Hence I focused on the Pentax DA 10-17 as an alternative. I hardly found any comparative review between the two, so I find me providing one here.

Here are my findings:
  • vignetting: +1 for Pentax
  • aberrations: +1 for Samyang
  • build quality: +1 for Pentax
  • Price-Value: +1 for Samyang

Pentax wins for the better IQ. See a stitched comparing sample from the backyards below.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Pamulang, Tangerang

Lens Review Date: February 8, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $545.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Quite small, well built, good overall IQ
Cons: Rotating focus ring, so-so color rendition
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

Fish eyes lenses are always fun, and I love this one too. Being a "Zoom FE lens" is such a star!. Well there's nothing perfect tho. It's has a very nice built with solid barrel. Optics provide a quite sharp with well CA controlled for medium aperture. Aberration is in good controlled for it's kind, I found it become useful for wide-angle shot with minimum distortion only at 16-17mm. AF speed & accuracy are excellent on my K-5 IIs. With a short focus path, this lens will be a perfect one if they just could use an "internal focus" system, rather than annoying rotating focus ring (I often misplace my grip on that one ). Comparing with other wide SMC lenses, I found color rendition is so-so..Final words.. Still the best Fish-eyes lens in market, yet affordable with superb performance.

Lens Review Date: October 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp! Versatile
Cons: Can't attach filter
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-30

Sharp and versatile are the words I can paint for this lens. Love the 180 degree fisheye at 10mm and close focusing can create creative images. Around 14-17mm and defishing in PP will give "normal" ultra wide angle shots. Love it!

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Florida

Lens Review Date: July 30, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fun! Wonderful color rendition & contrast. Quick focus.
Cons: Not particularly sharp. Not especially wide
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K200D

Terrific little lens if you're into a distorted perspective. Truely great fun to use and takes very colorful & contrasty pictures.

Many have rated the sharpness quite high, but considering the pictures posted and my own experience with the lens, it's not particularly sharp - but I think that may also have something to do with the nature of a fisheye lens. For the close distance you can achieve on your subjects, a traditional lens would show much better defined edges and detail. The contrast and wonderful color make up for it in large measure.

Overall I had a great time with this lens and my daughters were especially enamoured with it, but ultimately I sold my copy to persue a more traditional perspective.

Registered: July, 2013
Lens Review Date: July 23, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality
Cons: Limited application
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

Found this lens new for a very good price, and pulled the trigger. As expected, I haven't used it that much yet, but the extremely wide coverage is very useful indoors. With the color adjustment possible with DSLRs, I can take color balanced photos that were nearly impossible with transparency film. Impressive!

The build quality of this lens is nearly equal to that of my 1980's era A series 15mm f3.5, and despite zoom capability, it is smaller and about half the weight. It's considerably less expensive, too. This lens is one of the best values in the Pentax line, hence the large number of positive reviews.

Sometimes it's hard to justify buying a relatively expensive lens that has limited application, but without it, you can't capture that perspective, either. Worth it, if you can afford it.

Moderator
Man With A Camera

Registered: June, 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet

Lens Review Date: June 18, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, well built, versatile.
Cons: The CA can be bothersome.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K10D, *istDL

I really like the results from ultra wide angle lenses, and this lens does not disappoint. It has given me many great images, but the CA resulting from not watching the lighting can be annoying.

I picked this lens up as my second digital lens shortly after buying my first digital camera, the *istDL.

It would be nice if there were a way to put filters on this lens. I submitted a couple shots for the PEG and several judges commented that I needed to use a polarizer. I guess they didn't view the exif data and notice the lens type. Either that or they have no clue what using a fisheye lens is all about.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Lens Review Date: June 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $529.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fun perspective; good build quality
Cons: CA; limited function
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5

It truly is a fun lens. My creativity has been flowing freely since I got the lens a couple weeks ago. It's fun to purposely distort images and grab super wide angle shots of a bowling alley or kids party. I'm looking forward to shooting some sports up close and other action shots. Not the best for people shots as they usually end up pretty distorted unless you keep them center frame.

While it may be a specialized lens that won't see a ton of use, the unique perspective and novelty will add a distinctiveness to your collection. It's very well built, but as other have said, keep that front element safe!

The Vultures by wilshirepix, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Blunsdon,Wiltshire, UK
Lens Review Date: June 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp ,easy to use and very good fun
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

A great little lens that's great fun to use.
Northrop Grumman B-2 82-1069 Death11, "Spirit Of Indiana" by Gary Chalker, on Flickr

Ellie by Gary Chalker, on Flickr

Swan by Gary Chalker, on Flickr

Tame Pheasant by Gary Chalker, on Flickr
Tutbury castle by Gary Chalker, on Flickr
Tutbury castle by Gary Chalker, on Flickr

Registered: July, 2012
Lens Review Date: April 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $520.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very good quality images. Develops your imagination at both ends of the focal range
Cons: Concerns about scratching the glass
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K20D

It's no secret that this is almost a "buy one get one free lens", and I agree with other reviewers: you get the fisheye lens at 10mm but you also get a quality wide angle lens at 17mm.

Fisheye effects can be done on software these days, so you may decide a wide angle prime is better for you.

However, software is only as good as the image it works on, and for me the 10mm end of this lens captures a lot of image that other lenses miss. Especially in scenes where all the action is spread out, and a fisheye photo looks better than stitching. Or conversely, in narrowly confined streets and other built up areas/indoors.

The image quality is very good and the colors are vibrant particularly towards the 17mm end, where the fisheye distortion is less...but still noticeable. It continues to amaze me that you can point the lens nearly straight at the sun and it still delivers. The short focus distance is also excellent for fisheye macro-style images, and the resolution is very good, especially if you use a tripod.

The big downsides to me are: (1) it exhibits quite lot of purple fringing, not just wide open and not just on very sunny days, and (2) my lens seems to struggle with high contrast clouds, and the borders between (say) trees and the sky: not just PF but blown out areas. Combined, these downsides are a shame, as the fisheye should be at its best taking photos of landscapes etc. on bright/sunny days. Hence, I'm rating it an 8.

This lens often comes with us on trips and holidays, while most primes get left behind. For some situations it's not used at all, but sometimes (e.g. in towns and cities outdoors and indoors) it's the only lens we use, including family snapshots. The results are often admired by others, and photography is a results business after all!!

The Leaning Tower of London at 10mm:

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Norway
Lens Review Date: April 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Good optical quality
Cons: Difficult to use
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

A fun lens to use, but also difficult. Sharpness and built quality is good. Nearest focus distance is extremely short and very useful. There are quite a lot CA from this lens, but I suppose that is expected from a wide angle lens.

Moderator

Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Lens Review Date: January 19, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Great fun, versatile, compact
Cons: I'm not sure the hood does much
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

This is one of Pentax's most idiosyncratic and interesting lenses. It is basically two lenses: at 10mm it is a true fish-eye, while at 17mm it is an almost rectilinear ultra-wide.
Sharp enough, remarkably small for what it offers, and great fun. It deserves to be in every Pentaxian's bag.

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Medina, OH
Lens Review Date: December 4, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Color rendition, sturdy build
Cons: Need to take care with lens, cannot use filter
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 4    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-7

I really love this lens. It is like owning two great lenses--a fisheye at 10mm and a great wide angle at 17mm. It takes a bit of use to really get good/desired results from this lens. Of course, you can use it as a fun lens, getting all sorts of distorted results with deliberate intent, and I enjoy doing that from time to time. However, it is also a great landscape lens, even at the fisheye end, once you learn how to frame and compose. To get good, normal looking results, you need to avoid placing straight vertical objects at the sides of the frame. You can take photos that look almost normal if you will place long straight objects (roads, railroads, trees, etc.) right in the center of the frame. The lens then renders them straight, and takes in much more of the surrounding landscape than you are accustomed to. For landscapes without vertical objects at extreme left and right of the lens, you get very normal looking results. I say LOOKING results as the lake or body of water you are photographing looks normal, i.e., the shoreline COULD have been as the lens portrayed it, and those observing the image you have created have no frame of reference to see the shoreline as distorted. Trees on the shore at the extreme sides of the frame will appear distorted on close inspection, of course, but are not immediately apparent. The lens renders colors beautifully. It is also very useful for taking closeups of items such as products, giving an almost normal but artfully distorted view. I would love to take this lens to an antique car show! I don't think I would ever give up this lens. I highly recommend it.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Langwarrin Australia
Lens Review Date: November 30, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $480.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp for a fish-eye, build, versatile
Cons: Hard to protect the front element
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5,K7

I have used other fish-eyes before but this one is unique,it is so versatile being able to zoom from 10-17mm,so from huge distortion at 10mm to very little at 17mm. Most fish-eyes are soft right across the frame, but this one is unusual in that it's sharp in the centre and softens to the edges which seems to enhance and give a far better effect. Yes it has some CA but that comes with all fish-eyes and the way they bend the light, but with this lens it is not a big problem and is easily worked around. This lens also produces great colours like most Pentax lenses.
The only problem I have found is that you have to be very careful with the protruding front element especially since this lens focuses amazingly close and the effect is so good that you cant help but use it.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!