Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] Review RSS Feed

6.9
 7.2
99 272,517 Wed January 8, 2020

SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]

The Pentax 10-17mm fisheye lens provides a 180-degree diagonal Field of View (FoV) on Pentax APS-C format DSLRs. At 17mm, the FOV is reduced to 100 degrees. The image is not rectilinear. The fisheye effect is more dramatic at the wider end of the zoom range.

In 2019 this lens was replaced by an HD coated version, butit can still be found new as of February 2020.

SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED[IF]

Built-in
Dedicated metal push-on
SMC,SP
Fisheye
68 x 71.5 mm (2.7 x 2.8 in.)
2006 to 2019
$575 USD at launch
smc PENTAX-DA FISH-EYE 1:3.5-4.5 10- 17mm ED[IF]
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★☆☆ Usable with reservations at select F-stop/focal length combinations
Show details
One ED element.

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftInternal FocusingBuilt-in HoodAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital OnlyDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF] Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 99

Registered: February, 2019
Lens Review Date: October 13, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Extreme Field of View, FishEye Effect Optional, Proxy Photo
Cons: Chromatic Aberrations
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-S2

I've seen several photos of FishEye effect, including on the official Ricoh website, something that was supposed to attract customers into buying this lens. Most were with a subject in the center, heavily distorted. But those kind of photos are really unappealing for me. In my little head I thought I would never buy or need such a lens.

I have never been so wrong about something.

This lens is truly a gem, a lens that every photographer should have in his or her bag.

Why such a drastic change of mind, you may ask?

Well, first, this lens is in fact 3 lens in one :
- A true fisheye at 10mm, with 180 field of view
- An almost rectilinear ultrawide angle at 17mm (equivalent in terms of field of view of a 10mm rectilinear wide angle, like the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 at 10mm)
- A proxy photo capable lens at 17mm and close focus (0.39x magnification)

Besides, you are completely free to dose the FishEye, in different ways :
- The zoom ring (most at 10mm, minimal at 17mm and of course all the intermediate settings)
- Composition (fisheye effect is especially visible on the sides, and also in the center if the subject is close)
- The way you tilt your camera (upwards, downwards, leftward and rightward)

You can really make all kind of photos with all those parameters. Distorted, or not. Even at 10mm, one can make a photo with the fisheye effect almost invisible by clever composition. On the other hand, you can really make weird shots by tilting and composing carefully, while being far from the classical well-known FishEye effect.

You can use this lens for most photos, except portraits and wildlife. Of course you'll need to be careful how you use it, it's not a point-and-shoot lens. When I take my K-S2, I always wonder if I really need another lens, or if the DA 10-17 FishEye will be the only one.

About other characteristics, the lens has OK Bokeh, but that's not something important for an ultra wide angle. Focus is screw-driven, not really noisy. The distance scale is nice, and Quick Shift is nice to have, even if it's not really that important on an ultrawide. At 10mm there are chromatic aberrations on the side of the image, and the image is less sharp, but do not forget that the lens is trying to put 180 of field of view on your tiny sensor.

amateur dirt farmer

Registered: December, 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...

Lens Review Date: December 31, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $237.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: color rendition, quick AF, solidly-built
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-50, K-3

I used this lens for the Single in November Challenge and what I have found is nothing short of amazing..

First, the elephant in the room: it is a fish-eye lens; those aren't distortions in the lens' ability.... that's how it is supposed to look... the nice thing about the DA 10-17mm, however, is that by 14mm, the FE effect is lessening and by 17mm, it is pretty much gone... the FE effect will also depend upon how you use the lens and how you learn to control it...

That being said, the DA 10-17mm is simply amazing - great color rendition, quick autofocus, great build quality... with it being such a close-focus lens, do not expect great bokeh from it; it's possible, just not readily so.

Although not a macro lens, it's close-focusing ability is great! Many interesting angles and shots taken with this lens at very close distances....

My Flickr album for this lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/sets/72157659032799212

My final thought: this one is a no-brainer; if you can find one at a reasonable price, buy it...

Registered: August, 2013
Location: Prague
Lens Review Date: September 21, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fish eye to wide angle aspect. sharp (within fish eye reasoning, amazing colours

Once you learn the way to use this lens, because it is not just an ordinary fish eye (and even that takes some getting used to), this lens can really hum for you. Just love the fish eye at 10-13mm and wide angle from on out. Wonderful.

Registered: January, 2014
Lens Review Date: December 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $340.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp in center, Doubles as crop sensor and full frame(film) fisheye lens, build quality, Much more dramatic fisheye distortion for shooting action sports(compared to samyang 8mm which is more panoramic)
Cons: Sharpness doesnt hold excellent on edges of the frame, but still above average
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K30

If you shoot skating/bmx I would recomend switching to canikon asap because of Pentax' slow flash sync but if you are already die hard Pentax then buy this lens! The samyang is a good starter fisheye, it is easier to compose, a little wider, better for video, more pleasing to the eye for architechtures and landscapes. Once you learn you need more "squishing" in the corners for those dramatic skate shots then this is a good pick, though it is really the only option for pentax digital.

Happy shooting

Lens Review Date: November 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fun, sharp,weight
Cons: non
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K30

Banned

Registered: March, 2013

Lens Review Date: February 27, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, colors, contrast
Cons: cannot protect front element
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

Maybe I am a little bit subjective but I think that this is a brilliant lens.
After just a month of using this lens I've sold my DA12-24mm which I've been used for 2 years.
Why?
Because I wasn't used DA12-24mm for architecture and because DA10-17mm is better in almost everything except image distortion.
Let me explain:
1. DA10-17 is very sharp wide open at f/3.5, DA12-24 is acceptable sharp wide open f/4
2. DA10-17 has much better colors then DA12-24 which has a little bit muted colors when light is not perfect
3. DA10-17 has better contrast then DA12-24
4. DA10-17 has better autofocus in low light then DA12-24 (less hunting)
5. DA10-17 virtually has no flare which could be a problem with DA12-24 even with it's huge hood
6. DA10-17 is much smaller and lighter then DA12-24.
7. DA12-24 is not so great at 24mm end so it's loosing some advanteges over DA10-17.

CA on DA10-17 is similar to DA12-24

There are only 2 disadvantages of DA10-17 in compare to DA12-24:
1. Usage of filters is impossible and front element could not be protected except with lens cap.
2. Huge disortions. DA10-17 is definitely not for architectural photography like DA12-24. But DA10-17 is much more fun because of distortions. Distortions could be minimized during shooting (and removed later in Lightroom) if you know how to use this lens: proper point of view, no tilting, no important objects close to edges in foreground...

Some says that it has a limited usage, but it is limited only with your creativity. Off course DA10-17 is not a lens for bokeh lovers but I recommend this lens to everyone as primary super wide lens.

Registered: September, 2011
Location: Colestin, OR

Lens Review Date: April 28, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, super-wide, light-weight zoom
New or Used: New    Camera Used: K10,20,5

This is my favourite lens. I keep it mostly at 13mm and use it for landscapes.
It's sharp, light-weight, versatile, and super-wide. No problem shooting into the sun.
There's some CA, but there is with most of my lenses. Stays on the K5 all the time!

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Calgary, AB

Lens Review Date: April 25, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, light for a zoom, bright colour, extraordinarily versatile
Cons: CA can be bothersome
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K 20, K-5

When I went to purchase this lens after seeing great results and hearing such positive reviews, the salesman tried to discourage me suggesting it would be a one trick pony. I have used it on a daily basis for a challenge on the forum and regularly heard comments like "I don't normally like fish-eye but I like this" or "I can't believe this is a fisheye!" This is a brilliantly versatile lens with nice crisp colours. Autofocus is fast and accurate allowing you to hold the camera in unusual positions, shoot and get very unique images. CA can be quite significant but no worse than my DA* 16-50. As well, filters cannot be used so you will want to look after the front element, keeping it covered and clean.

A fish-eye is a great creative addition to a photographer's arsenal. Composition is very important to make the most of the results but it often breaks many of the rules that may be dragging you into a rut. Some examples:
At 10mm

The morning after by jmschrei, on Flickr
At 17mm

Red fin by jmschrei, on Flickr
Playing up the fishiness

Spring returns to the concrete jungle by jmschrei, on Flickr
Or not

Along the rails by jmschrei, on Flickr
And getting in close (you can get up to 13mm from your subject)

Pussy willow by jmschrei, on Flickr

Nature in abstract by jmschrei, on Flickr

Location: Iowa
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, beautiful color rendering, very little flare, versatile, focuses very close, superb build quality, compact, fun to use.
Cons: PF in some situations, special lens cap not easily replaceable, protruding front element requires caution
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-x

I've only been out a couple of times with it, but I can say I don't think I'll ever part with this one. This is an immensely fun lens to shoot with, and it's given me compositional ideas I normally would never have thought of.

It's probably the only wide angle I'll ever need. At 10mm, it's a very fishy fisheye. As you zoom up toward 17mm it morphs into a more traditional, almost rectilinear wide angle lens. Very cool.

This lens is plenty sharp, especially when stopped down a bit. The color rendering is among the best I've seen from any lens. The colors really pop. Rich, saturated, and contrasty. Clouds stand out from the sky in sharp relief. I rarely need to do anything with the colors in post with this lens, unless it's just for creative effect.

The build quality is superb. Zoom and focus rings are the smoothest I've ever encountered. Everything on this lens screams quality. Even the lens cap is quality... made of machined aluminum.

This lens does have some purple fringing, which can show up around tree branches against the sky or other contrasty situations. I usually only notice it when pixel peeping, though.

A couple of downsides that are a necessity of any fisheye lens are the lenscap, and the protruding front element. The lenscap is an aluminum slip-on affair that is beautifully made, and has a felt ring around the inside rim to grip the lens. Only problem is, if you ever lose it or the felt loses it's grip with age, you'll need to buy another one from Pentax. I don't know how much it would cost, but I have the feeling it wouldn't be cheap.

The other thing is the protruding front element. You have to be VERY careful with the cap off, and take care when replacing the cap that you don't bang it against the glass. Because it's such a wide-angle fisheye, there's no rim around the front to protect it, nor a way to attach a filter. I can't fault it for that, though. All fisheyes are that way. It's a necessity of that type of lens.

What xfloggingkylex said in another review about there being a learning curve is correct. This lens has such a radically different field of view that you have to learn to spot subjects that are good for a fisheye. A couple of things I've learned:

1) It's great for dramatic closeups. Flowers, statues, people in the foreground, etc. Having your subject close to the lens makes the photos really pop.

2) The farther off-center an object is, the more fisheye distortion it has. Use it to your advantage.

As I'm still a fisheye newbie, I expect to learn a lot more about using it as I shoot with it. After learning a few tricks, I find myself looking at everything with "fisheye-eyes". It's addictive & fun.

Bottom line, it's a top-quality piece with great image quality that's a blast to use. Usually kind of pricey, but well worth it.

Here's a photo I took with it on it's first trip out. (color altered in Photoshop.)

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Kentucky
Lens Review Date: December 9, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: super wide, sharp, fast focus
Cons: some corner issues
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

I picked up this lens on ebay recently, slightly used. I was skeptical about the image quality but wanted a fun lens just for goofing around. I got way more than that. The lens is well built and handles perfectly. It's way sharper than I was anticipating, even wide open. I've noticed a bit of color fringing but nothing really field relevant so far.

Location: Brisbane, Australia
Lens Review Date: September 16, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, zoom range, quick shift, versatile
Cons: Not much
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-7

The most amazing feature of this lens is its versatility IMHO. At 10mm, it is a true fisheye (180 degrees); at 17mm, it is a wide angle.

I bought the lens originally because I wanted a fisheye lens and the lens was recommended by several Pentaxians. The lens is definitely a fisheye lens at 10mm, I learned however to use the lens at other focal lengths and there are some big differences from 10m up to 17 mm.

I like the hood which is fixed: you will not forget it, and it protects nicely the rounded front glass. Another nice feature is Quick-Shift.

Like any fisheye lens, you need to use properly the lens. Do not shoot facing the sun. Beware of your shadow, your feet, your cap at 10 mm. There is some strong barrel distortion, lateral chromatic aberrations, purple fringing, poor bokeh, .... This is linked with the fisheye type, not with the lens itself IMO.

Lastly an anecdoct. I have a 18-250mm lens. I feel that the 10-17mm complements very nicely the 18-250mm....

All in all I can highly recommend the lens and I am grateful by the adamant advice from senior Pentaxians to get this lens. They were right.

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Hong Kong / Irvine, CA
Lens Review Date: July 13, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $470.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: close focus, 180degree
Cons: need to be care of the front element
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

It's such a fun lens.
I bring it with me all the time.
It's much wider than 12-24mm and it can focus only 10cm from the object.
Pentax has the only zoom fisheye so everyone pentaxian should get one.

Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Lens Review Date: April 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build & IQ, MF override, protective coating on front element
Cons: Nothing for me

I had had no idea this lens existed until I was offered by a fellow Pentaxian to buy it as he was about to change system and let it go for a fair price. So I bought it on a whim rather than on strict and considerate decision just to try extreme wide angle on my digital kit. What to say? This was one of my best investment in a lens.

I have always liked using extreme wide angles on film (although 20mm is my widest lens for film), but never tried it on digital. This lens opens up many new perspectives and is really pleasant to use.

As most of the important things have already been said above I just want to add that this lens can also be used on film from about 15-17mm without serious vignetting effect. If you have an MZ series camera with the possibility of panorama format you can go much further down and have superb panorama shots. Worth a try.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Tuktoyaktuk, NWT
Lens Review Date: March 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, lots of fun, 17mm end is usable as normal wide
Cons: none, it is what it is

I bought this lens because I had some money put aside and knew I would never get one if I passed up the chance, so it was an impulse buy of what I thought would be a useless lens. I was so wrong.

It is incredibly sharp, tremendous fun at 10mm but actually usable (carefully) as a normal wide lens at the 17mm end. By the long end the distortion is obvious but manageable. I have used it in tight quarters and to shoot big sky for my Aurora Borealis shots and have not been disappointed. The DA 14mm f2.8 is a better wide angle lens (as it should be) but this tiny little 10-17 is just the most fun you can have with a camera.

I am converted, fisheye lenses are valid and not just novelty items. It is an art lens, not a way of recording reality but interpreting it.

I stand by my 10 rating because, it is what it is.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: north west, england
Lens Review Date: March 8, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: solid build, amazing optics,

I took a punt on this lens to develop my 360 panoramas, and spent money i didn't really have. without having a proper look at the lens i wasn't sure what to expect, as ive only have kit lens and telephoto in the past. I was not disappointed, the first thing i noticed was the weight, its quite a bit heavier than the plastic 18-55 and this screamed quality to me with the metal casing. I instantly popped it on and the field of view was staggering, i could see the whole room, while sat on the couch. Another thing i was slightly shocked by was the little distortion from the curved glass, i expected a real bulge and there was very little. Since purchase i have managed just 1 panorama however its become the most important and trusted member of my kit of recent times and helped me produce some interesting landscapes. makes me wonder how i lived without it. prior to purchase i read all of these reviews along with similar spec lenses and this came out by far the best. If you in any doubt over this lens, DON'T BE! if you want a versatile ultra wide angle lens, this is it. despite the price tag (it was a lot of money to me, and i got it for a great price). It's worth every penny (cent).

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!