Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Review RSS Feed

104 369,015 Sat June 13, 2020

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited

The SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited is a prime extreme wide-angle lens only suitable for Pentax APS-C DSLRs. Technical details:

Built-in, slide out
Pouch 37748
Dedicated metal screw-on
SMC,SP
63 x 39.5 mm (2.5 x 1.58 in.)
2009 to 2013
Launch Price
$572 USD
smc PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited
21800 (black)
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
☆☆☆ No coverage at any setting
Show details
One aspherical element and one ED element.

Black and silver

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftBuilt-in HoodAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital OnlyDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 104

Registered: September, 2016
Location: Vilnius

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built qualitiy, size, starburst, low distortion, pictures makes you to screw up the eyes from pleasure
Cons: Could be sharper, works only in crop mode on FF
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

As soon as i bought my first DSLR (K5 with a kit lens) back in 2012 i wanted to have a good wide/super wide angle lens for landscapes, as it is my main interest in photography.
At first i had a possibility to buy few quite rare soviet MF m42 lenses (MIR 20 M 3.5/20 and MC Zenitar 2,8/16) and i've used them about half of the year. The pictures they produced didn't met my expectations (soft, lots of unwanted artefacts, aberations) so i sold them without a hesitation.
Then i started to read reviews in this forum about SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited. One by one. Checked the pictures here and on Flickr. At that time i was always checking local second hand lens market, and luckily for me there was one copy of my wish listed lens.
Currently, i'm using it more than 4 years and from my point of view all the good things that has been said about it here is truth. A true gem!

I'm using it also during weddings and other shoots. I had couple of accidents because of clumsiness, dropped it on the pavement from like one meter high.. Thanks for pentax limited lenses built quality it is working perfectly.

The lens is the best companion while traveling, add gorilla pod focus tripod and you have the most light weighted, super quality set for landscapes. I prefer long exposure (for this i use B+W ND 110 filter + Carl Zeiss T* circular polarizer + pentax remote control F) and you need only to set focus to infinity in MF mode, find a right composition -> stunning pictures.

It is a must have lens if you are interested in landscapes. It also very useful for group photos in various celebration shoots and for fun pictures.
Here are some of my examples:

Registered: December, 2011
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia

Lens Review Date: July 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $720.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Strong wide-angle without major deformations, Limited build, sharp and contrasty (stopped down a little), beautiful colours, effective slide-out hood, flare resistance second to none, legendary starbursts, remarkably distortion-free, tiny for angle.
Cons: Sharpness fall-off towards edges (esp. wide open, but hey, it's a compact ultra-wideangle), some decentred copies out there (not mine), wouldn't mind if it was faster than F4 (but that would require more bulk), why did it take me so long to get one?
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3, K-7

Even without resorting to the effusive DA15-controls-my-mind adulation of some , I can safely say that this lens has been my most capable ultra-wideangle to date.

It offers a field of view similar to the old 24mm lenses that I came to love in the analogue days, and does so in an unobtrusive, travel-friendly, and beautifully-crafted package. My go-to lens for city trips and architecture, which means that it sees a lot of use. Despite the slow aperture, it focuses fairly fast and has given me a respectable number of "photojournalistic" close-to-the-action keepers at weddings and events.

Some of the whining about soft corners and atrocious field-curvature strikes me as somewhat exaggerated, given that my copy at least happens to deliver clearly-defined images with generous detail, as long as I do my part and select my aperture and area of focus wisely.

The machined-aluminium build and optical performance has its price. This must be my most expensive lens so far, and it took me a while to pay it off, but I have absolutely no regrets about getting this little gem.

To whet your appetite, here are some DA15 shots from the Maritime Museum in Amsterdam:

Location: Madrid, Spain

Lens Review Date: June 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, light, great DA limited build quality and feel
Cons: Slow, lacks a bit of contrast, soft corners
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K200D, K3

Edit: I see a lot of people commenting on this so I thought I'd add it here, at the top and in caps: DO NOT BUY THIS LENS WITHOUT CHECKING IT FOR DE-CENTRING!

A lot of people rave about this lens but, while it is a good lens and useful to have, I don't believe it to be as good as many people say.

It has the typical great DA limited build quality, handling and overall feel. Autofocus is fast and accurate on the K3. The wide angle of view is useful but not hugely so over my next widest lens, the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, which is almost as wide and is sharper than the DA 15mm.

Optically this lens is a bit of a mixed bag. The contrast is a bit low regardless of the aperture - all the other DA limiteds are better in this regard. The corners are always soft to some degree - wide open only the centre of the image is sharp and the corners sharpen up progressively to f/11 but never reach a level where they're really sharp. The corners are also prone to chromatic aberrations, even stopped down.

One thing to be careful of in this lens is de-centring. Many people complain that one side of the image is softer than the other and this is due to de-centring and sub-standard quality control. Make sure you fully test a copy of this lens before buying.

Also be aware that a lens this wide is not for everybody. The focal length makes this lens a specialist one and not for general use as a general wide angle, it's too wide for that. It takes some time to get the knack of using it to take shots that don't look like they would have been better at a slightly longer focal length.

Having said all that, image quality overall is good and a lens this wide is not going to be shot very often at less than f/8. I'm happy I bought it but for small, wide primes I find the DA 21mm much more useful and unless you really need a super-wide I'd recommend that lens over the 15mm as a wide prime.

Sample images:

Hakone

Playa de las catedrales, Galicia

Goodnight, Stockholm
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Pulpit rock (B&W version)

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: June 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, size and weight
Cons: I.Q. at full aperture
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K30

Cute, small, light, well build lens. Very nice focusing ring. Telescopic hood.
What I don't like is that the 'full' aperture, pretty small already (f4.0), is barely usable.
At f/4.0, vignetting is strong, sharpness is good in the center but so-so in the corners.
It improves markedly at f5.6. Good resistance to flare.
Another disappointment: the way the telescopic hood is build-in precludes the use of accessories larger than the lens (step-up rings, add-on lens).

Lens Review Date: December 26, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness
Cons: lens cap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k3

I also love this lens and hate the screw on lens cap.

Keep in mind you can buy a pentax brand plastic non screw on lens cap that fits on top. I have this on my lens, and have no issues.

Pentax 49mm O-LC49 Lens Cap 31526

I kind guesstimated the amount of space between the front of the lens and the inside of the lens cap. I figure there are a couple of millimeters between the front of the lens and the back of the lens cap. And that's only when you squeeze it together. I have been using it for months and i haven't ever had it scratch the lens. The plastic cap looks like it was made for the lens.

Registered: August, 2015
Location: Stockholm
Lens Review Date: November 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, small, built in hood
Cons: Slow
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K5 IIs

Nice little quality lens with great IQ and nice colours.
At f4 it has good center sharpness but is a bit soft towards the corners. Stopped down to f8-f13 it really shines. Haven't experienced any CA worth mentioning. I do find it a bit slow since I need to keep it at around f8 to get corner sharpness. If it where a 2.8 it would be 3 times larger and heavier so why complain, it's a practical little wide angle!

@ f6,3:

Registered: July, 2015
Lens Review Date: September 28, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $520.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Size, build quality, flare resistance
Cons: corner sharpness, purple fringing
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 7    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K 3 II

Either my copy was really bad or people don't care about corner sharpness and purple fringing.
Corners on my copy were atrocious, worse than Sigma 10-20 I used to have. Visible even at screen size, not 100%. Purple fringing all over high contrast areas as well.
On plus size: great build quality, really loved the size. AF quick and accurate, great colors and starbursts.

Overall: I've sold it as I couldn't accept those corners. Check the photos, these are resized and corner softness is easily visible.

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Hanoi
Lens Review Date: August 27, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: close up, well-control distortation
Cons: easy to drop the shade
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K200D

The size of this lens is quite small but the quality is really valuable. When I travelled around Europe, I used only 15ltd to pose.

Spree river, on Flickr

Lens Review Date: December 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $480.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tiny, Unique colors
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K30

Everything that has been said nice about this lens is true and I can very well attest to.

One thing that has never been mentioned (or I have not seen written) is that the images rendered by this lens is obviously "digital", for lack of a better adjective. Nothing wrong with being "digital" but it lacks the FA Limited's charm. Still, it's a lens worth having.

Lastly, I think that between the DA and the HD version, the DA is the better one. I have a gnawing feeling that given 3 to 5 years from now, the prices of this DA!5 will start climbing as supply dries up.

Registered: July, 2011
Lens Review Date: October 14, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, colotr rendering, angle
Cons: Aperture?
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K5

Brilliant gem from Pentax. Small, high quality, great build and overall great image quality. It is well larger than the 40 or 21 Limited, more in the order of size of the 40 limited. However, for a 15mm, that is really small. Compared for instance to the 10-20 Sigma (3.5) it is amazingly small.
This is a lens I often use for wide angle photography, both outdoor (great starburst indeed) and indoor. I also own a 10-17 fisheye, and this is in a different league. That is great as toy for fun pictures, this is serious equipment. Very happy with the purchase - although it is expensive...

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Washington, USA

Lens Review Date: October 13, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: wide, beautiful build, great color and contrast, crisp & sharp
Cons: slow
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k-5

I needed a wide angle lens for my trip across the country and this was the one I got. I stuck with a prime because I was desiring image quality over zoom flexibility. And choosing this over the 12-24 was good since I got image quality at a less expensive rate.

Feel:
The lens feels great! It's focus ring is extremely smooth and the lens is very solid and well built to the touch. While the built in hood is different, it is nice to have it there when needed! The screw on lens cap is stupid (my only complaint about the lens).

Images:
Wide angle lenses need a special understanding when being used. They will create some distortion... heck, they squeeze a ton of image into one little frame! At first, I thought a wide angle shot of any landscape was going to look amazing. I was wrong. The shots simply looked empty. But as I started to understand the need to get "close" to really allow the lens to do it's job, it was then when I began to get better images. The image quality is great. And the colors are awesome too! But getting too close will cause distortion. We need to understand that a wide angle lens isn't for close family shots (a mistake I made). The people in the corners of the frame will probably be warped/distorted. But when we start to use the lens for other things like landscapes, images taken from at least 10 feet away, or images specifically designed to have a little distortion, then we will start to see the beauty of the lens in the color, contrast, sharpness, and more that the images have.

What you won't get:
A 15mm f4 gives almost no bokeh. Don't expect it. And the flexibility of a zoom is gone. This forces you to move around to change perspective... BUT...

Final word... if you like primes, know how to use a wide angle, and want a well built lens producing great images, THIS IS THE ONE.

Lens Review Date: September 13, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: Fantastic contrast and flare resistance, small, light
Cons: Could be a little sharper
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

Hello !

Edif from 03/2015:

The issue I have is that in some condition the field curvature mean you'll get soft border even at f/9-f/11. The lense is sharp on the center. it can be sharp on the corners on the rights photos but overall on many shoot it will be soft on the corners no mater what. There little you can do against it except cropping to remove theses borders. But then you do no longer have a UWA.

This is still the best compromize available and lenses like the 10-24 from tamron are worse and while DA12-24 or sigma 8-16 are sharper, the DA15 is king on contrast/micro contrast and size too. That's the thing it has for it, few lenses handle dynamic range in a scene like it except maybe DA20-40 and DA35 ltd. That a fine lense if you want to keep it small/light and get the occasionnal wide angle shoot. You'd be even delighted by it's rendering on the right scene. If you can accept bigger design, you may be better with another lense through (not my case). On the occasion the corner shapness issue is really anoying. It is not like it show only in crops. It shows even at websize.

Initial review:

Overall this lens has lot of good points:
- It is small, very well finished and the included hood is very practical.
- It unique resistance to flare and fantastic dynamic range is a must for landscape. Where other would get washed white sky, you still have a blue sky. There lot of color deph.
- The focal lens is a specialized one but does what one want out of it. Use a 20-24mm for most wide angle shoot... and use 15mm for perspective distortion and get the shoot in cities or interiors when you don't really have the possibility to move to frame the shoot with a longer focal lens.

The overall sharpness is quite good, even on borders if you stop down to f/8-f/9. The impression of sharpness is also better due to fantastic contrast. But this sharpness is not perfect like you can have on an FA77. I don't think that a real problem, there is enough room to crop if necessary.

You may not want to use this lens to make huge print with lot of fine details (even through it would be good enough) but you'll want it as walkaround lens giving good, pleasing images and keeping your bag small and light.

Well if you are not into primes and not over obsessed by flare performance, I'am not sure you benefit of having it compared to a good f/2.8 transtandard zoom, in particular in the performance/price aspect, but for me, it is really good, even through I was not fully convinced at the begining. The more you use it, the more you appreciate its unique strengh no other lens have.

A few examples:

First a 3200isos shoot in the night at f/4 to show you can do some interresting things wide open. The softness & vigneting on borders come from post processing, not the lens:

IMGP2820
by Nicolas Bousquet, on Flickr

The lens is good for roads/city shoots (Montmartre in Paris here). The focal lens allow to have lot of in the frame and give the impression that you are near to the subject, directly in. When I look at this photo I feel I jump in.

IMGP2544
by Nicolas Bousquet, on Flickr

The focal lens allow for some distorsion and to fit big architectural element in the frame!

IMGP2487

15mm is not extreme like 8-10mm, but you can really play and show distorsion:

IMGP2269original
by Nicolas Bousquet, on Flickr

I find color deph and contrast to be incredible. I really think that another lens would have burned highlight or would not be able to get so much detail in shadow in post processing:

IMGP3248

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Manchester, UK

Lens Review Date: September 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Small, light
Cons: AF problems, not sharp unless stopped down
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 2    Autofocus: 3    Handling: 5    Value: 4    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5ii

Somewhat over-rated. It does all that a rectilinear 15mm lens should do. You can get some spectacular ultra-wide shots, although if you don't watch out you'll end up with lots of sky in your photos.

There is plenty of CA and bokeh is terrible. Flare resistance is good. My copy is reasonably well centered. With the SMC version you can get the pretty (or naff, depending on your point of view) starbursts. The lens cap is clever but impracticable.

The corner performance is annoyingly bad. Unless you really stop it down (to f/11-16) you'll invariably end up with soft out-of-focus frame corners. This can often be simply due to the foreground in the bottom frame corners being nearer to you than you think, but it appears to be a 'feature' of this lens, usually blamed on its field curvature. You can compromise to some extent and focus nearer, but the choice is then between a razor sharp center with fuzzy corners or not so sharp everywhere. Many of the spectacular DA15 shots you see on the web were taken with this lens either stopped right down or have had the fuzzy corners cropped out.

It is also important to realise that the rectilinear projection makes objects at the corners appear nearly twice as big than if they are at the centre of the frame, which doesn't help ...

On my K-5ii the autofocus (not that you really need it) at infinity is a hit-and-miss affair. It is a miss much of the time. You can help it by pre focusing at the far end stop but usually the AF decides to stop its spin short of the best focus setting.

Overall a bit of a disappointment. You can get the same ultra-wide view by stitching together two portrait orientation shots taken with the DA21. Or just use the cheap DA16-45, which is nearly as wide but much better at f4.

More here

Registered: December, 2013
Location: Weddington, NC
Lens Review Date: August 15, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp & compact
Cons: wish it were a bit faster
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5, K-7, K20D, K220D

I wasn't sure that I needed this lens as I already own the DA12-24 however once I put it on the camera I realized how much different it handled than the 12-24. It is small, light and easy to carry. I have taken some of my best images with this lens. I find it excellent for street shooting and general use in a closed setting. It's also great for architecture.
The only drawback is that it's f4. I wish that it were a stop or two faster but that would change the size and handling of the lens.
I consider it to be a core lens that compliments my collection of FA's and is equally as sharp.

taken with the DA15 / K-5

floating_ducks_DxO by peterjcb, on Flickr

IMGP2725_DxO by peterjcb, on Flickr

under_the_heros_Photoshop CS6 / Topaz plug-in by peterjcb, on Flickr

Registered: February, 2011
Lens Review Date: August 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Vibrant images, joy of use, small, light, no flare.
Cons: No WR, corner sharpness wide open, small aperture
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

Giving this one a 10.

It's better, IMO, than the HD 15mm. The sunbursts are beautiful, the bokeh is great for a 15mm. No flare, which is a big concern (for me at least) at this aperture.

There's a tradeoff between aperture and weight, and Pentax built this for weight. No flare.

Only downside that really bothers me is the lack of WR.

That said I don't think I'm ever going to sell mine.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!