Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Review RSS Feed

104 371,291 Sat June 13, 2020

SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited

The SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited is a prime extreme wide-angle lens only suitable for Pentax APS-C DSLRs. Technical details:

Built-in, slide out
Pouch 37748
Dedicated metal screw-on
SMC,SP
63 x 39.5 mm (2.5 x 1.58 in.)
2009 to 2013
Launch Price
$572 USD
smc PENTAX-DA 1:4 15mm ED AL Limited
21800 (black)
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
☆☆☆ No coverage at any setting
Show details
One aspherical element and one ED element.

Black and silver

Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftBuilt-in HoodAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital OnlyDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 91-104 of 104

Lens Review Date: February 28, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: small, light weight, sharp, durable, great landscape lens
Cons: not very fast (only f4)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K7, K5

I love this lens. I often take it back packing. I use it with a 49mm polarizing filter and get amazing blue skies and sharp landscapes. Sharpest overall at f8-f11. I slid down a muddy rocky slope with this lens on my k-7 and it survived well, just had to carefully clean the mud off. I love it for outdoor portraits to to show a nice wide angle view of the scene behind. One of my favourite lenses.

Location: Bergamo
Lens Review Date: February 9, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: colour rendition, contrast, compactness, flare resistance, geometric aberrations, build quality, build-in hood
Cons: not extremely sharp (to find one cons)
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: k5

Well, the sharpness of this lens could not be a reference, but is enough (and more than really required) for every purpose except to shot newspapers on the wall (!). For every other aspect (build quality, aberrations, distortion, compactness) is an absolute champ. In pair with the 70/2.4 limited make an exellent reson to use Pentax. No other brand has such tiny jewels so there is no comparison.

I'm waiting from Pentax a camera body with limited-lens-like characteristics and look!

The f/4 is not really a cons for me. Why shoot at less with an super-wide angle? To have a 2.8 one can buy the 14mm (sacrifing the compactness).

A note on the cap: why a such jewel should be a cons? You are not obliged to use it. It's a plus that can be reserved for storage and easily replaced with a cheap 49mm standard cap for everyday use. Isn't it?

Registered: November, 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Lens Review Date: December 27, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $440.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality
Cons: Push on lens cover
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    New or Used: Used

A stellar lens. I use it a lot for landscape photography, and for macro situations where I want to cover a wider field of view than my 100 WR Macro. This lens is always with me.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: USA
Lens Review Date: May 8, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $430.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact size, flare resistance, build quality
Cons:

There are people who have technical nitpicks with this lens - sharpness, corner quality, what have you. Most of these people have probably not taken it out shooting for a day. It's an absolute gem of a lens, and a ton of fun to make images with. The compactness is amazing, just try and find something else this wide in this small a package...

A sample, taken at 5 and cropped:

Registered: July, 2010
Location: Днепропетровск
Lens Review Date: February 6, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Angle, bright, sharp
Cons: Not found
New or Used: New

Changed at 21lim.
I do not regret.

Registered: April, 2010
Location: casper, wy
Lens Review Date: February 4, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $499.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: cute, solid, vivid
Cons: lil' slow

This is my first Limited lens and I couldn't be happier. I could tell just by holding the box that this was going to give the same feel as the classics. Metal is awesome, built in hood is super-slick (though I haven't put a filter on yet), and image quality is fantastic. You do have to stop down a bit to get optimal crispness but as I am primarily using this lens for those sweeping, backcountry vistas this is not a prob at all. I did try to use it indoors in the evening to try and get some new puppy face shots but really couldn't pull it off without crazy ISO (time for a k-5 I guess). Overall, great lens. Don't listen to dpreview's assault on the 15mm. This lens will satisfy over and over.

(p.s. I like the screw on cap. I don't know what the rest of these foolios are yakin' bout)

Lens Review Date: December 6, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything
Cons: NA

Love this little germ very much. Carried it with my DC-BOS-NYC trip, worked very well.

I am totally satisfied with its sharpness and color. Flare resistance is so amazing for this little germ.

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Lens Review Date: October 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: size, hood, flare resistance, good FL, build quality
Cons: edge sharpness

Unique lens, worthy of a "limited" designation in my book.

Essentially I sold the 16-45mm for this lens. Colour is excellent, as is sharpness and usual landscape DOF (F8-11 work really well as previously noted). Size for travel is wonderful.

Really good fun. Interesting video lens too:
Bouctouche Moonrise

Vignetting
I have been experimenting with the "A" cokin series, with an extension ring to clear the built-in hood, and the "A" series holder, which seems to be closer to the front element of the lens than the "P". Seems to work, although there is an issue with flare from the polarizer/filters from the edge when using A series polarizer without a cokin hood (and the Cokin "A" hood on the end DOES cause vignetting). Straight into the sun however is OK.

Highly recommended.

Registered: January, 2010
Lens Review Date: August 18, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good performance, resistance to flare, build&size
Cons: none yet

Killer lens. Sharp when stopped down a little, even in the extreme corners. Love the size, build & focal length.

A must have for me if you're a prime freak.

Location: Albuquerque NM
Lens Review Date: July 14, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great FOV and IQ and reasonably compact
Cons: weird hood and cap, could be faster

This lens saves an event or a vacation. People who see my photos with this lens often ask why my shots look so much more interesting. It's the FOV and the snap. The very first shot with this lens jumped off the screen. I wouldn't be without it, now. It's amazing even indoors and wide in both senses of the word:

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca
Lens Review Date: March 12, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $534.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, size, lens hood, metal barrel
Cons: only f/4, metal screw on lens cap, lens hood

My absolute favorite lens in my bunch. I shoot with this lens probably 75% of the time. Its is a great lens and a rugged performer. I love the all metal design. I listed the lens hood as like and dislike. It's great it is built in. But it sticks up a bit making it hard it get the caps on. I ended up getting a plastic snap cap instead of the metal one. Overall though... I would say it's probably one of the best performers I have worked with. I wish it was a 2.8 but I can have it all. Still love it.

Registered: February, 2008
Location: Emeryville, CA
Lens Review Date: January 25, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $540.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color, contrast, sharpness
Cons: lens cap

I've had this lens for a little over a week. And I'm amazed by the color and contrast. And sharpness of this lens is nicer than my 21. I don't notice the distortion that can happen with an ultrawide. Like the DA 35 it is a wonderful piece of glass. Loving it.

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Germany
Lens Review Date: December 18, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $786.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp,flare-free,small and light,finest optical and mechanical quality
Cons: screw-in lens cap

This is a fantastic little lens.
Razor sharp,flare-free,small and light.
Finest optical and mechanical quality.
A small amount of vignetting wide open,
but it's a physical limitation of all wide angles.
The only annoyance is the screw-in lens cap.
Instead,i use the original Pentax Plastic Snap-In 49mm lens cap.
Sample Shots with the Pentax K-7 and the Pentax DA 15/4 Limited lens.
Lens at maximum aperture for the following photos.
The Pentax Lens DA 15 / 4 Limited, also has a very good
minimum focusing distance of just 18cm.
Shots freehand without a tripod, JPG, only resized.

Regards,
Hartmut from Berlin/Germany

Registered: August, 2008
Location: Brazil
Lens Review Date: December 2, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: razor sharp wide open, no distortion or flare, small and light, metal construction
Cons: none really

A gem of a lens. I have no problem giving it a 10 rating.

Razor sharp. Flare-free. Small and light. Top-notch metal construction wows Canonites and Nikonians.

A small amount of vignetting wide open but it's a physical limitation of all wide angles so can't penalize the lens for it.

Thank you Pentax!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!