Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Zoom Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 Review RSS Feed

SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4

7.8
 7.7
113 370,055 Tue March 5, 2019
SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4

This wide-angle to normal lens is among the earlier DA lenses. It has a fixed maximum aperture of F4 across the entire zoom range.

SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL [IF]

smc PENTAX-DA 1:4 16-45mm ED AL [IF]
Unofficial Full-Frame Compatibility Tests by Pentax Forums
★★☆ Full coverage at some F-stop and focal length combinations
Show details
One of the earliest DA lenses.
Two aspherical elements, one ED element.
Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftAutomatic ApertureAPS-C Digital OnlyDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 61-75 of 113

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Lens Review Date: May 17, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $602.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, nice color rendering
Cons: A little CA

My most used walkaround lens. Good for architecture, landscapes and streetviews.
Match perfectly with my Da 55-300.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Md
Lens Review Date: May 17, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: wide angle, sharp, very good contrast and color, close focus, value
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Highly recommended. I'm a semi-pro and have used this lens for a couple of weddings, birthday parties, and general photography etc over the past year and a half. After renting twice, I decided to buy. It excels indoors where my 50mm is too tight and the DA 18-55mm II lags. It also pairs well with my DA 55-300mm.

In good light, it's about a step above the 18-55 with less distortion at the short end. In low light, it's about two steps above with a constant aperture. That's important when you're shooting manual, focused on capturing the moment/scene, and switching between the wide and short ends.

I'd love to own a bag of Pentax limited primes - 15, 21, 35, and 40 - and in time I may. For now, I have the next best thing for the money and I don't have to change lenses to cover that range.

Here's a recent shot that has been post processed a little.

Registered: January, 2009
Location: Varaždin, Croatia, Europe
Lens Review Date: May 14, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: goes pretty wide, sharp, good colors
Cons: 45mm sometimes too short, big for an f/4 zoom
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    New or Used: Used

It was a tough call between Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5, Tamron 17-50/2.8 and DA16-45. I was buying used. QC issues put me off the Tamron 17-50 and I found this selling localy, so I bought it. When I put +5 AF adjust on my K-7, it focused (and still does) perfectly.

So, it's sharp at f/4 at all focal lenghts. Maybe less so as you go wider, but if you stop it down to f/5.6 it becomes perfectly acceptable for me. At f/8 - wonderful! It also has typical Pentax colors - a plus. Focuses quickly and accurately, no problem there.

I like the 16mm, that's wide enough for me now, although I've tried the Sigma 10-20 and the 16mm may not be wide enough anymore 45mm may be too short sometimes, but rarely. With 14mpix on the K-7 I can always crop a bit.

The few things that are not bad but are weird is the reverse zoom and the size. It's pretty big for an f/4 zoom and extends at 16mm. The latter is good for candid shots when people think you are aiming at something in the distance and not at them, but they're actually in your frame

Bought mine without the lid on the hood. A hole in the lens hood is annoying.
My most used lens since I got it

Edit - lowered score because the lens isn't built that good. I'm afraid it'll get very loose with a few years of usage...

A few shots:

Location: Dorset , UK
Lens Review Date: April 11, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 8

Pros: overall sharpness and focal lengths
Cons: needs stopping down but don`t use f16/f22

Considering the relativ low price,constant f4/bright viewing and going as wide as 24mm (in old money) this is a very good lens indeed ! At 16mm it needs stopping down to f8 and f11 but at 45mm its fine at f5.6 ! I have no problems with it am glad I bought it !
optically (f5.6 - f11) =8
build = 6
zoom range = 9

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
Lens Review Date: March 9, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $235.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp at 5.6, Great colors and bohek, great for closeup photography
Cons: Blocks flas at wider agnles

I just bought this lens from a forum member that was listed in the marketplace and I'm pleasantly surprised with the image quality. This lens is a real step up from the two kit lenses I have.

After getting this lens I immediately did comparison testing with my other lenses in this zooms focal range. When this lens is stopped down to 5.6 it nearly matches the image quality of my FA50 1.4, FA28 f2.8 and the DA40 f2.8. When it is stopped down to f8 it is hard to discern which lens was used. Even wide open it is very impressive and will be a good partner with my 50-135 when I want to keep my kit two to zooms..

I haven't used it to much but my initial results shows that this lens is very good. I really like the close up ability of this lens and I was just outside taking pictures of the blossoms on the trees and I was very impressed with the results. It focuses down to 11" and will be a good lens for shooting flowers.

The build quality is a step up from kit lens but slightly lower than my two DA* lenses. There is a slight wobble when the lens is stretched out to the 16mm position but not enough to effect the images.

The only thing that is bothersome about this lens is that it blocks the flash at wide angle but the on board flash is really only wide enough to cover a 28mm lens. So I'll use my AF360 for any flash photography.

Overall I'd rate this lens a solid 8.5 and I have no regrets buying this lens - especially buying a used one in good condition.

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Skopje
Lens Review Date: March 9, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $225.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, lightweight, solid build quality
Cons: onboard flash unusable, awkward front cap

I will start with the obvious observations with this lens: It renders the onboard flash unusable (who cares ), no profile in LR3.3 (user created available on pentaxforums.com), noisy and ok speed with AF, almost macro capable 28cm – total lens to object ~15cm.

I bought this very cheap from Greece and with tax return it came around $225 new with warranty. The first thing I noticed was the reverse zoom (doesn’t bother me, maybe people around me are intimidated by the size zoomed out). It’s only a margin heavier than the DAL 18-55. The manual focus is nice, not much travel, the marking near infinity is 7m and then infinity, which is a little awkward. Also it feels very well and solid built. The zoom is snappy and no zoom creep. I was a little disappointed in the front cap which is not like the DAL18-55, and when you have the hood on you can’t remove the cap or put it on because of the design of the squeeze cap which is on the outside of the cap. But remove or reverse the hood and the problem is non-existent.

When I saw the colors and resolution on this lens I was amazed that I can get this quality for the price.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Perth
Lens Review Date: December 27, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatility, sharpness, colour rendition
Cons: Barrel distortion, slow

1. This is my most used lens and they have taken most of my favourite pictures. It's best friends with my tripod too.

2. I seem to disregard this lens for some uncanny reason. I guess I would've liked it better if it was slightly longer.

3. Takes rather impressive up-close shots for a non-macro!

4. Some samples from my *ist DS:

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Galway, Ireland
Lens Review Date: December 22, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $380.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, Constant aperture, Very cheap
Cons: Not f/2.8, 'Reverse zoom' makes flash difficult

Very very impressed with this lens - It's very cheap and has pentax's solid build quality.

Very sharp, Especially at f/8. It extends as you zoom out (to 16) which makes using a flash very difficult, Especially with the hood on. I have the AF-360FGZ and at 16 with direct flash you get a black circle at the bottom of the image from the lens. It would also be nice if it was f/2.8 or even 2.8-4... But I guess that's why they make the DA* 16-50 f/2.8... There is also some red/blue CA when shooting wide open but that's easily corrected in software - And the K-7's CA correction can even catch most of it.

All in all, Highly recommended. And in my opinion a huge step up from the DA 18-55

Here's a sample shot.

f/8, 13sec, ISO 200, 31mm - Shot on K-7

Registered: February, 2010
Location: California

Lens Review Date: December 2, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 7

Pros: very good IQ, 16mm angle, constant aperture
Cons: bulky, @ 16mm barrel is extended (very annoying)

First off let me say that this is a very nice lens but it does not suit my needs and I think the cons outweigh the pros a tad bit.

The lens extends to its longest at 16mm (this is opposite the norm for Pentax). This is very annoying because it pretty much renders the pop-up flash useless because it leaves a big shadow at the bottom of the picture.

The lens is pretty big and bulky for such a short zoom length.

On the good side, the lens has great IQ, much better than the kit lens.

16mm angle is wide enough to where some would not need to buy anything wider.

All in all I would rather have the kit lens along with either a wide prime or the 12-24 but I would still recommend this lens to others. Just because it is not for me does not mean it is not for others. That's why it is getting a 7 (mostly due to the IQ).

Registered: August, 2010
Location: Arkansas
Lens Review Date: November 2, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $288.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Sharp, good for wide range of assignments
Cons: Shadows when using cameras flash. Big lens.

Previous reviewers made my decisions to purchase easy. Thanks for all your advise (well rated in Amazon too).
3 to 5 year olds can be tricky to photograph, move fast and go in and out of focus quickly - you want an easy to use lense, thats sharp and works well over all its focal and aperature range. This lens does exactly that. I, like others previously used their kit lens 18-55, while not bad, it does not hold up to this lens image quaility.
I have not had it off my camera since I purchases and find its results similar in quality to my 50MM 1.7 prime. I really like the 16 mm wide end of range too. Great for landscapes. Very practical. Also, the macro shots, while not discussed too much, are very good.
Best all around lens I own.
If I were to do it over again, I'd rank this lens first, my 55-300 telephoto 2nd and my 50 mm prime (portrait) third. All are good, but the 16-45 is most usefull.
You'll be glad you purchased this lens.

Registered: July, 2010
Location: Cardiff, UK
Lens Review Date: October 22, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, good contrast, solidly built
Cons: my ideal lens in this range would be slightly more compact
New or Used: New

This is probably the best zoom lens for the money in the DA series. It is very sharp, has excellent contrast and is great at the wide end (impressive even at f4). It is also light and relatively easy to carry around.

There is one aspect of this lens that makes it somewhat different from the average zoom. It does not lose focus when it is zoomed. Why it does this, I cannot say, but it could be something to do with the fact that unlike almost all other lenses this one is extended when it is at wide angle. The fact the lens does this means you can lock focus at 45mm and zoom out knowing that what you focused on will still be sharp at 16mm. This gives the lens an advantage in low light or when the focus point is tricky to lock on to at wide angle. There is some CA, but not enough to pose a problem. The build is very good indeed.

An excellent lens.

Registered: April, 2010

Lens Review Date: October 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Wide angle, IQ & bokeh (compared to 18-55 kit lens),
Cons: CA, distortion, size, mechanical quality

I really like this lens, but I'm not really satisfied with its mechanical quality, because some parts inside worn pretty bad and this made the lens loosen when it was zoomed to 16 mm. After I sent it to a repairman it works well, but I think a 2-year-old lens should be in better shape, no matter if it's zoom or a prime.

I bought it from second hand in May.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Leiria - Portugal
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharper than I expected. Really impressive image quality, even on night shots.
Cons: A bit soft at 16mm f4 but really sharp from 5.6 onwards.

I bought this lens used for a really good price and all I can say is wow! Impressive image quality and it does great as an all-round lens.

Image quality is really superb (I'm using it on a K-x and this will fit directly on my K-5 as soon as I buy one!).

Here are two sample photos, shot in Frankfurt last week:

Find more sample shots by clicking here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/115152-case-yo...t-buy-one.html

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: 24mm equivalent, well built, low distortions
Cons: some CA (although auto removal in jpg)

Excellent colour, contrast and rendition. Much better in my mind than the 18-55mm lenses. Not ridiculously sharp wide, but very good at 20-40mm wide open, and useful 16mm at f9-f11. Focusing not light speed, but fairly good.

The 16mm (24mm equiv) is still unmatched by kit lenses, and makes a real difference when up close inside or to a landscape feature.

I traded a 28-70mm 2.8 ex sigma for this, and the smooth OOF Bokeh is a little harder to acheive with the F4 max.

Note that if using one of the later body iterations in Jpg, distortion and CA can be removed automatically. This is very useful at 16mm.

Ergonomically, this lens is good to use, although I do find it a touch front heavy and long with the smaller bodies (*Ist DS, K200D) I have used it on. With the AF-360 and a K-7, I found it was quite well balanced.

If I had a limited upgrade budget and wanted a one lens solution this would be it.

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Lens Review Date: August 26, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp pictures, no SDM, price, constant aperture
Cons: Barrel extends as you zoom out, not in
New or Used: Used

This is a nice lens; much, much better than the kit. After owning the DA 17-70, DA* 16-50, DA 18-55 and DA 16-45 I kept this one and got rid of all the others. I wish it was a little faster, but at least it's aperture is constant.
Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!