Pentax Lens Review Database » Digital Era Pentax K-Mount Lenses » DA Prime Lenses
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Review RSS Feed

139 439,019 Tue July 11, 2017

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited

The SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited is the successor to the original M 40mm "pancake" lens. It is slightly smaller and 20g lighter because it lacks an aperture ring, and features improved optics.

The DA 40mm lens works perfectly on film SLR's, even with the hood.

MH-RC 49 mm
Dedicated pouch
Dedicated metal screw-on
SMC,SP
2004 to 2013
Launch Price
$220 USD
smc PENTAX-DA 1:2.8 40mm Limited
User tests show that this lens covers the 24x36 mm format.
The lens hood has a 30.5 mm filter thread allowing for smaller filters when the hood is mounted.
Black and silver
Screwdrive AutofocusQuick ShiftAutomatic ApertureFull-Frame SupportDiscontinued
Purchase: Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
In-Depth Review: Read our SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited in-depth review!

Add Review of SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Buy the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 139

Location: Tokyo
Lens Review Date: June 8, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrast, sharpness, flare resistance, build, size
Cons: Compact size sometimes makes it difficult to handle
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-01

As a 40mm f2.8 lens, this I feel this lens is very, very good. Itís very sharp and has great contrast. It resists flare very well. The AF is quick and accurate on my K-01. There are a couple of aspects of the design that have their pros and cons. The small size is wonderful for carrying, but means there is not much of the lens to grip when you mount it. Part of the barrel at the sides is ribbed to alleviate this. The other thing is the design of the screw-on hood and lens cap, which can be fiddly to remove, but also provide excellent protection for the lens surface. Neither of these small handling issues is enough to detract from the score, so Iím rating it as 10.

The other question is whether a 40mm f2.8 lens is going to be useful. I already had an FA35, so I was putting off buying this, but my experience with the DA21 impressed me and then I saw this one for $250 new, so I couldnít resist. I donít find myself walking around with this lens on by default, and perhaps I take 10% of my shots with it. However, those shots are often some of my best. Itís especially good for single or group portraits when you want to keep some details in the background. The nature of the bokeh is very pleasing at f2.8.

Location: Newark, Delaware
Lens Review Date: March 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: exceptionally compact, sharp, convenient removable hood
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: k5 and K10D

I bought this lens used in less than perfect condition at a bargain price. This is my go to lens when I want to travel light. This seems to turn my K5 into a slightly oversize point and shoot. Sharpness is incredible for such as a minuscule lens. My only gripe, and I really can't count it as a con due to its used condition, there is a noticeable wobble in the inner barrel. I would have no way of knowing if this is what the lens is really like or if the paint scrapes and small dings indicate it may have not received tender loving care before I got it. Despite the wobble and the wear and tear it takes pictures beautifully and that is what counts the most.

Location: Pasadena, CA
Lens Review Date: February 26, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent iq, very high acutance, usable at any aperture, fun
Cons: inner barrel a bit wobbly
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-30

Excellent lens. My only gripe is that the inner barrel is a bit wobbly - not what I expected from everyone raving about the build quality. That being said, I paid $230 for it and it is excellent optically, so it is not a big issue.

The hood design is very clever, kind of like an ideal black body and I think it accounts for a fair amount of that excellent contrast.
This lens is pretty sure but has an exceptionally high acutance. I don't even have to do USM on the shots, because the microcontrast is at an optimal level from the get-go. This is an excellent design and I highly recommend this lens, especially at the prices they are available for now.

Location: Brookfield, Victoria

Lens Review Date: February 25, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light and unobtrusive
Cons: nil
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-7

Top quality lens. Very positive feel to it. It is light and unobtrusive, perfect for everyday use. Originally the idea was to use this lens for landscape work but have not had a chance. So I have found it to be a delight with flowers.

Lens Review Date: December 26, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: metal construction, compact, fast focus, hood include
Cons: not found. may be screwed cup, but who is so hurry?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30

using DA40Lim as "normal", every day lens.
sharp, fast focus, very compact...
may be little nervous bokeh, if it has reflects, but it was known before purchasing
EFL = 60 mm, nice indoor for "in the interior" shooting, not too close single or group portraits too. just instead 50mm on the film.

also have DA21Lim, so 21-40-70 with they compact sizes is my triple-kit.

Registered: May, 2012
Lens Review Date: December 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tiny, quick AF, colour rendition
Cons: not as sharp as limited should be, foolish cap
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K10D, K-5IIs

Well, the major advantage of this lens is tiny size, corresponding with small Pentax bodies- useful pocket set (I mean normal pocket, to my I can pack k10 + da*300 without hood ;-)).
AF- one of fastest in pentax. Colour and contrast are top of class, as Pentax used to do. But f/2.8 prime lens should be razor sharp, that I can't say about DA 40 ltd- it is only sufficiently sharp. Unfortunately.

Also CPL filter can be attached between front thread and hood- no wignetting noticed. Screw in cap seems to be not so brilliant idea...

I decided to downgrade bokeh value- it' is nice, but not enough for 9.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: December 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: N/A | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, size, build, sharp ...
Cons: Almost too small ...
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5, K-r

Bonjour,

Just picked up a used copy still with one year left on French (EU) warranty plus Hoya filter for about half the cost of all new ... great first shots and still need to put it through its paces .. rating may rise later along with a sample capture or two ... wish that I had purchased one much earlier. Salut, J

Registered: December, 2011
Location: Los Angeles,CA.
Lens Review Date: November 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $212.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, Sharp, Contrasty, Build,
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-01

This is a fantastic lens. I recently purchased a K-01 and quickly bought this lens as its first companion. I think everybody has said it all but here are my thoughts as how it works with my K-01. It is a fantastic lens as an everyday buddy to the K-01. Small and compact, it constantly stays on the camera and I find that in most situations I can just use this one lens. It's extremely compact and packable.I love how punchy the images are and I also love it's sharp overall quality.

Now that I have a limited lens, I feel I can not go back. The overall quality of this lens is highly impressive. I can just imagine, owning a 3 lens kit, all being limited( for me think, 15mm, 40mm, and the 77mm ). If I were to get fancy, I would incorporate the 100mm macro wr for my close up work and the 31mm so I could have a standard.

Registered: October, 2013
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, nice rendering, size, build quality is amazing, colors
Cons: speed
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30

You can simply glue it to your camera and shoot without worring about CA, flare, sharpness wide open or anything else. It`s also very small and light so it`s one of the best walkaround prime lenses ever made. I compared colors from 18-55wr to DA40 and while 18-55wr is very good lens DA40 colors are simply amazing. My best lens so far.

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, colors, size, weight, no flare, metal lens hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5

Great lens!

Location: Sydney
Lens Review Date: September 8, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp!
Cons: Lens cap & hood is annoying
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-x

I can say nothing more than has already been said. A superb lens. Highly recommended.

Registered: August, 2013
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, bokeh, sharpness, size, construction, fast
Cons: What ? Cons ?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Kr

Simply my best lens, I love it and it is sticked to my Kr!
It is really sharp at 2.8 in the center and the IQ is like a Pro lens, I keep making my best "clichťs" with it.

Lens Review Date: July 16, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharpness, size, construction
Cons: lens cover easy to lose
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Bought the lens second-hand and have used it on my K-5 a lot when moving around with my bike.

Primary subjects cityscapes and street photography.

Impressed by the sharpness and image quality. Without this lens I would have missed some good photo opprtunities as I wouldn't take my K-5 out so often.

Some example photos:

Lens Review Date: July 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

Bought this lens brand new 3 months ago, already shot some nice pics, surprised by the sharpness & af, highly recommended

Location: Beijing, China
Lens Review Date: July 12, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Contrast, Colour
Cons: not WR?
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5

I really love this lens. Bought it 6 months ago I took amazing picture with it! The colour rendition is really nice (although I prefer the DA15 limited the better from this point of view) really sharp (but not as my M50 1.7). Cromatic aberration is very well control but still not as perfect as the M50 1.7.
The lens is so small that you can really take candid picture are people really do not notice you! That is probably the strongest point together with dimension weight beside the excellent image quality.
I used with a B+H 49 mm polarizer filter and the hood on it, no problem of vignetting as the lens per se cover the full frame sensor.
Autofocus is fast and accurate.

Conclusion the best-for-the-bucks lens so far.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!